My little quail farm

Continuing the discussion from Life goes on - Winter 2021:

I got tired of peeling hardboiled quail eggs so I made this little helper out of stuff I had laying around my shop.

23 Likes

That is a very good egg peeling devise Don. Good job on that build. Will it work on bigger eggs too?
Bob

5 Likes

I don’t know. Never tried it but it might.

6 Likes

Good job Don. I’ve been meaning to pick your brain some about those quail. This is a good place to do that. Later. By the way. I had to go to Menard’s today for some supplies for my Greenhouse, mostly some PVC fittings but I looked at the pipe rack while I was at it. That 3" PVC you made your egg sheller out of is now like gold. 42 bucks for a 10 foot length. Fittings up about 40 to 50 per cent. I grabbed the minimum of what I needed, put my tail between my legs and headed for the door, looking behind me to see if any muggers were going to follow me out and take my goodies.

12 Likes

Well done Don , a fantastic device well thought out i have never seen anything like that before , just got to love inventions like that .

6 Likes

That is why my shop looks the way it does. I keep everything. :smiley:

10 Likes

I plagerized the idea from a facebook quail group with a few of my changes.

9 Likes

Superidea. Never saw something like that. I can imagine it saves you a lot of work with those small eggs. Top :grinning:

3 Likes

So the nylon wrapped wire is it gear driven or does only one side turn? Awesome idea between me and the wife we wear our fingers out twice a week will be building a couple of these this week ifn i can figure out the mechanism… peeling 48 eggs at a time takes the better part of an hr…

3 Likes

Greg, it is latex tubing, not nylon. This is the same tubing that slingshots use or you can look on Amazon under latex tubing. There is no gearing. the wires are spaced so that the tubing just touches each other and the one with the crank turns the other one in the oposite direction.

9 Likes

Awesome idea thank you for sharing…. My wife thanks you the most as her nimble fingers are getting the brunt of the quail egg shelling… funny how wood gasification fixed a egg shellin problem…

10 Likes

For the good of answering i built one today, it works well on yard eggs, no idea how it would work on a store bought chicken egg but does a beautiful job on quail eggs as well as chicken eggs from the barn. Thanks for putting the idea out here.

10 Likes

Stiill got some finish work but wanted to test my guess before i got too involved.

12 Likes

If you soak the shells in vinegar you can use it as a fertilizer on plants that like high calcium like tomatoes And of course you can cook and grind the bones for bone meal… but I’m sure most of you knew that already…

2 Likes

48 at a time twice a week? What do you do with them all?

4 Likes

Me my wife her father, my mother we eat them as a snack all day long high in b12 and having 2 folks in their 90’s they love eating them… but yeah its alot of quail eggs and we pickle a few… plus 4 folks eating 6 a day is only 2 days…

9 Likes

Interesting information about the food value of eggs.

2 Likes

I get Dr. Berg in my YT feed all the time. He is a doctor of Chiropractic medicine, not a traditional Medical Doctor, and it says as much in that disclaimer text attached to his videos. Still I think it is important to understand the sort of training he had in forming his opinions. To be fair I am not a medical doctor (or a Chiropractic one!) though I do a lot of my own research on medical issues and am very comfortable reading journals. I haven’t found any of his videos to contain patently incorrect health recommendations.

@ Tom Holton: LOL!!!

2 Likes

Jeez Anthony. I just wanted these egg guys to feel better about having to eat all those damned eggs. :rofl: :rofl:

6 Likes

Don, It looks like you have a gold mine with your quail farming. A friend reported to me yesterday that a dozen large eggs were close to $5 here at Kroger. I guess that I should also add that the last large eggs that I had sure looked like mediums.

4 Likes