My Personal Small Wooden Collider

Yes, one central nozzle directed vertically downwards. This solution was proposed at one time by the Soviet engineer Rybnikov. From your drawing it is clear that he was not the only one who came up with this idea.

With a flow rate of 44 cubic meters per hour, as indicated in the second row of Imbert’s table, I may not need forced cooling of the nozzle. But it will be regular mode for my sizes. In forced mode, I will try to achieve a stable performance of 90-100 cubic meters per hour. At the same time, I plan to heat the bunker and an external monorator that constantly removes moisture from the wood. Therefore, I am already very worried about the temperature regime. Of course, I can supply clean water from the cooler to the center nozzle to prevent overheating, but this can impair the reaction to get good gas at high flow rates.

In old books on wood gas generators, such a parameter was indicated as the load of the grate, measured in kilograms of firewood burned per hour, on an area of ​​1 square meter. If I don’t confuse anything.

An adjustable nozzle is a good idea, but I’ll try to do it in a different way. Many experiments are yet to come!


I would not worry too much, I believe with the moisture removal you’ll still have a sufficient amount in the wood and bunker to maintain stable temperatures.


Yes, the nozzle should hold up well, just use some thick material, Corten steel should work well i’ve heard.
I’ve also curious to find some (used) of them BIG sand-blasting nozzles, available in different, very hard materials, i looked at some 1inch, used to blasting shipping containers, would be very interesting to try.


Cody, those who tried to use a small wood gas generator for a large engine, or a turbocharger - they know very well what will happen to the wood gas generator … :wink:

I’m taking this step consciously for several reasons: 1. Reducing the size and weight of the wood gas generator, 2. Increasing the stability of operation from the smallest modes to the largest, etc.


The air supply is ready! And although there are a dozen little things to finish, it is already obvious that it is time for me to prepare fuel for the first launch.

Me also managed to prepare 2 sets of insulators for the electrostatic filter, and check the operability of the high-voltage converter for it. I also adjusted the dimensions of the filter in accordance with the dimensions of the resulting insulators. Details will be later on the Premium side.


Starting the automatic ignition system of the gasifier in manual mode. :wink:

It turns out that it is not so easy to light and maintain a flame in the pipe. Even at low speeds, the turbine gives too much air. I had to drill a standard gas supply jet, which I removed along with the tap from the old gas stove. And still the ignition has to be kept constantly on, otherwise the flame is blown out of the pipe. Very interesting experiments, I really liked to collect from various cubes (what women usually call “junk”) a brand new device, and at the same time it works!

The spark source is a high—voltage converter for an electrofilter. Only transistor control will be done from a microcontroller and with normal drivers for the gates. Otherwise, gate resistors and a choke to protect transistors from through currents consume and emit almost as much energy as the converter itself in the form of heat.


Own personal fuel also causes a wide smile. The feeling of being cooler than an oil tycoon! Lemons are urgently needed! :slight_smile: