New guy new build

Whats going on friends. I’ve been working on my new gasifier for 2 weeks now and I just found this forum. But here are a few pictures from my build so far.

5 Likes

7 Likes

Welcome aboard! Some very fine looking welding your doing!

7 Likes

Welcome aboard Alex .

I agree with Marcus. From the looks of the cutting and welding I can tell this is not your first rodeo :smile:

9 Likes

Hi Alex, your work is excellent , interesting construction and solid construction , it would be interesting to see a sketch of the project and the intended use.

7 Likes

Thank you gentlemen. I’ve been fitting and welding pipe for the last 10 years so I’ve been around haha pipe joke, but I’m excited to start this project.

7 Likes

Yes I have an Isometric drawing I will upload soon of the reactor, cyclone, and condenser.

6 Likes

Not entirely sure what I’m looking at. Is this a FEMA or the Mother Earth News plans?

3 Likes

I didn’t use any plans. Just read a book on syngas generation and hydrocarbons and started building this thing. I plan to mount the entire gasifier and 7k generator to a small trailer. If you see something that is questionable please let me know.

5 Likes

Hello Alex.

Making a gasifier is not hard. Making a good gasifier can be. Stationary sistems are more forgiving, but still need to be reasonably sized for the engine. Can you draw a crude skech with the crude dimensions? Otherwise its near impossible to give any advice or comment.

Oh, and also feedstock. About as important as the gasifier it self. What do you intend to burn?

12 Likes

Welcome Alex. You are now part of gasifier valhalla. Every new system has it’s quirks and you can spend many hours trying to work through them. People here have worked through just about all of them and you will find a great deal of valuable assistance. As many details about your system as possible will be required and really, no question will be considered dumb. The thing about wood gas builders is that they all want to see you succeed.

13 Likes

Well my ash clean out looks alot like Bender.

10 Likes

Is the plan to run the generator with the gasifier. That is what it sounds like. Is the generator gasoline or diesel fueled ? Gasifier running a diesel fueled generator work quite well using pilot ignition with approximately 15% diesel. Using gasification for a diesel fueled road vehicle does not work so well. I am anxiously looking forward to some more photos, hopefully some sort of plans. Also this begs the question, is the feed stock wood or charcoal?

4 Likes

Here are some crude plans I’ll make a better drawing later. Waiting on my 12inch flanges to get here and flexatalic gaskets.

3 Likes

6 Likes

Just some info for ya the small gas lens tig cups thread onto 1/2" swageloc fittings.

5 Likes

Hi Alex , I am looking at the pictures of your construction , really massive construction , this will last 100 years. The sketch of the gasifier is not very clear to me , as I see you intend to gasify the charcoal and add water which will evaporate around the hot zone in the copper pipe , it is not clear in which part the air will enter and will it be premixed with the water vapour ?
Opinion:
-the vaporisation tubes seem too much for me , but the highs don’t give you a headache
-i would install the coil so that it is heated by the outlet gases but not by the hot zone casing

I’m just thinking out loud,… :thinking:

2 Likes

Seems legit I can uncoil to the I.D. of the case. Should the air intake line be tied into the vapor line?

2 Likes

Alex, I don’t want to get you down, so I’m going to write in principle. The inlet air and water vapor are well mixed and preheated with the outgoing gases, so the energy is conserved for gasification. The injection of the mixture should be high enough so that all the oxygen can be used to form CO and not CO2, if it is pre-mixed with water vapor, the desired hydrogen and possibly methane are formed. There are various tested constructions, which you may have already studied and have in mind some improvements that will be interesting to see.

6 Likes

If you are still with us Alex, this was an interesting project with nice workmanship. It’s not nice to just drop off the face of the Earth.

4 Likes