New here and getting ready to build

Other symptoms are when you see a truck on a hoist you start looking at frame layouts gas tank placement , plumbing routes from bed to engine compartment. The list goes on.
Me I don’t have a problem cause I don’t lay under a Dodge just an old Ford. The really bad ones lay under Dodge

One thing though If you go premium it will be the cheapest education you ever paid for
Tomw

Thanks Tom! Does anybody have any idea how long it takes for the premium membership to kick in? Ordered at lunch today.

Chris is pretty good about getting you up and going. Usually a day or so.

I appreciate it.

Good Morning Robert .

Chris may flip the switch as soon as he reads this post .

Sorry I never learned how to handle all these switches .

Sorry, was in the shop all day yesterday. You’re all set.

Welcome aboard Robert S.

Gary

Glad to be aboard :slight_smile:

I got my book friday after work. But couldn’t read it until late Friday night and then only a little bit until Saturday afternoon, was helping my father in law fix his car.I’ve gotten through it about one and a half times now. Absolutely love it! Everything makes really good sense now and it was definitely worth the money.

Still trying to decide on my first build, everytime I look at my old f350, I want to drive it. I think it would make a very clean test bed for other motors, plenty of room under the hood. Shouldn’t be too hard to make adaptive motor mounts, transmission mounts and drive shafts. Then I can try out the Ford 460, I could drop in the dodge v10, Chevy v8 8.1 liter, and I could pull the motor I like the best and raise the CR. Then I would put in a custom ECU from Megasquirt and play around with the spark advance ect. If I was to put a high compression engine in the truck then it would run secondarily on propane. Has anybody noticed that almost all gas stations sell 20 pound tanks?

Just rambling and thinking. If I'm going to use wood gas I want to find every way possible to get as much as I can out of it, that is kind of what makes it fun for me.

On the other hand my brain tells me that for practicality purposes I should probably get a little truck and build it to run like everybody else's trucks, that way I can afford to play with the big truck. If I keep the big truck and wait until I can afford a little truck it's going to extend my project time out and be a bit longer before I'm driving on wood......on the other hand if I sell the big truck, buy the little truck, it's going to be even longer before I can play around with another big truck. 

Just sharing my random thought patterns lol.

My uncle works for a gas company so I should be able to get a fire tube from him, or he will know where I can find 1. I know at least for saw mills I can go and asked for old blads from. I think I have found a Lincoln MIG welder for about 150, going to see what condition its in. I have at least 1 55 gallon drum that is heavy duty, & I think I know where I can get some more.

Robert

Hello Robert,

I think your choice of vehicles should depend on what you plan on doing with it . Take a look at Gary L latest video coming home from AK ( 700 mile ) . If one wants a vehicle to hit the road and rock on, Gary’s dakota will be hard to beat !!

On the other hand I can show you some work and terrain I put my V-10 4x4 Ram in that Gary would want no part of with the dakota .

BBB

PS Thanks much for the nice words about the book

One other small thing to consider, the bigger the engine, the more wood it burns, maybe 2X more. And it is labor intensize. I used 400# this weekend.

Wayne,  I think it's really cool that you are on here so much. It gives a lot of life to the site.
 I definitely understand that I'm going to need 2 trucks to do everything that I want. One truck can't do it all. I'm just considering which truck to build first. The big truck I plan on using more as a test bed than a hauler. Just thinking it might be better to build my first setup with something that I plan on taking apart again later or if I should build a Dakota first and use it.
 Carl, thanks for insight about the extra wood. Was definitely planning on that. 

Robert

I am in Corolla North Carolina (27927) for the rest of the week. If there is any woodgas operators near here l wold like to meet them.

Thanks in advance
Robert

I know it’s been a while since I’ve been on here. Winter had me busy. I haven’t given up or stopped gathering stuff to build with. I’ve got 5 of the heavy 55 gal drums now (free) And about 300 ft of saw blads(free). Just tonight i got a Hobart handler 135 for about two hours of work. It needs some parts but should be what I need.
Now i really need a fire tube.

1 Like

Robert…are by any chance going to Argo’s this year? If so I will bring you a fire tube, just let me know.

3 Likes

Thanks Gary, but I don’t think I can make it. I have too many irons in the fire. I plan on building everything this winter. How long of a tube do you have? Is it 12 inch’s in dia.?

Yes 12 inch dia. around 20 feet.

1 Like

Wow :slight_smile: that should be enough. looks like I’ve got three units on order. Vehicle for me, vehicle for my wife, and now my dad wants one. he’s working on the chunker right now while I am working on getting everything else together. Will probably end up needing one 22" and two 18" tubes. If you are willing to part with three tubes I can promise you that they will not go to wast. If for some reason I don’t use them they will get to someone who will. Now how much do you want for them?
(If i can find a little car to use, a trip to Argos might be worth the savings in shipping. Haha)

Hey Gary,
Email is [email protected]. Thanks

Disregard Gary, I was taking a customer’s vehicle on a test drive today and saw a tube sitting outside a welding shop so on lunch break I stopped and asked about it and next week I’m going to pick it up. inside diameter is 12 inches it is 5/16 thick and 6 feet long. :smile: I am so thrilled that I found one.

3 Likes