New member - first post - looking for newbie advice

Since the woodgas 444 thread came up and its existence is not private, just the details of the gasifier and its internal workings are.
Is it safer to ask what this question…

What is this pressure vessel made from?
I like the lid and would like to see more of it ( just not discuss any details other than what this comes from )

It looks like something I could make a pretty cool charcoal unit from with a grate shaker driven from the top.

3 Likes

Looks like a mortar container. Military surplus.

1 Like

Mortar container?
Like an amo box of some sort I will search for that.

3 Likes

It’s a very old style one, newer ones are either screw cap or like this: 120mm Cartridge Demolition Charges Ammo Can Tube 41 inches tall - Army Surplus Warehouse, Inc.

2 Likes

Thats cool
I id like to get one of those if they are available in surplus here.
A lot of this stuff is really hard to get in Canada.

They chop it up rather than sell it for security reasons.
You can;t even buy milsurp Canadian clothing now…
Try and buy some shielded plugs HA!!!

Man thats a cool tube for a filter.
You can buy ITH compressor filters that could be cut to fit in there.
You can wash and reuse them… ( just not gasoline it makes the filter media get weird )

3 Likes

Oh yeah CADPAT uniforms are even more rare in the United States. Here we just DRMO surplus and sell it off to recoup costs.

I think with a ceramic gasket that lid would make a nice inspection hatch.

2 Likes

I remember going into the surplus place here and they had boxes of sten gun mags that were demilled ( than meant flattened, but you could fix them if you wanted them bad enough ).

These days they don’t want you to have anything.
If you find a used FN it had to be exported then re imported to get your hands on it even though they were made in Canada.
Harder to get Canadian made stuff than it is to buy comparable imported cold war stuff from our enemies…

You stand a better chance of getting Canadian stuff than I do.

Many years ago I ran a drop shipping arrangement with some guys in Eastern Europe.
They had some fire fighter uniforms that had a military pattern, but it was all in blue.
I gave a pair to young lady I knew and they were big hit with the kids but supplies went fast.

Now I can’t even show what they looked like.
I had a picture of her modelling them on ebay but I can’t even produce that…
( helped that she was very shapely and they fit perfect, I sold out fast lol )
The lesson is if you see something don’t dither or they are gone

2 Likes

Lots of things you can do with it.
Filter, if you can find a filter that fits.
I went looking online for those giant compressor filters and they are hard to come by.
But I have seen guys at work just wash and reuse them.

If your making clean gas thats all ya need…

1 Like

Hi Wallace when you said it looks like something i could make a cool charcoal gasifier out of i thought i best show you this members unit .

All the best Dave

3 Likes

Turning a sword into a plow shear…

I like that!

1 Like

Hi Hag, Wayne Kieths open to all view tractor woodgasing project thread is here:

It was findable in the Woodgas Farming category I had referred to earlier.
Others there too not yet brought up.

We self-monitor here on the DOW so posted up things do get a bit scattered and topics do drift some.
And that’s O.K.
Regards
Steve Unruh

3 Likes

What does that mean?

Only a few here can moderate so this forum is very High Trust and expects people to behave themselves.

4 Likes

Good Morning Wallace,
Put back in context to how I said it; it means anyone can put their new topic into any category they wish. The semi-smart system may ask you that your new topic is similar to a previous already set up topic. But it the system will not force lock you to doing it.
And member-me, the advocate way back-when, for a separate dedicated Woodgas Farming category is not going to “Church-Lady”. strict “Library-Lady” step in and say a person’s Ag-tractor conversion topic Must-Only! be in the Woodgas Farming category to be easy findable later.

Life, Liberty, personal Freedoms begins messy, slippery, flowing. And retaining some of that leads to best info exchanges. The best Lifes.
Just put it up. And someone actively caring about the DOW will remember and bring it back out into the light.
Steve Unruh

6 Likes

I thought it was a crack about off topic
I tend to off topic on the wrong places

Finding this here is complicated.

Wallace we don’t have a problem any more with finding a certain thing in the posts anymore we have google woops i mean …
Cory he seems to remember everything and where it is , here let me show you ,

Hi Cory can you tell me where the post of someone who was showing a very old acetylene generator he had please .
:rofl: :rofl:
Dave
PS not making fun just showing how active a young mans brain is compared to most old farts like me

5 Likes

Hey Dave .

Me too , I could help plan my own surprise birthday party :grinning:

8 Likes

Well, since it’s my fault this all started, I’ll just chime in and mention
that I poked around for quite awhile trying to find something about
a tractor conversion that was close to what I was think’n of - didn’t
have much success, so I made my first post here, and dang if it
didn’t turn into a discussion that now has me swimming in thoughts
on how the tractor build should go. I’ve got a lot of review’n/studying
to do with the links I got from this thread, and am sure I’m going to
have lots of questions, but am gonna look them over hard so when
I ask 'em, I don’t sound totally stupid, but the farmall/444 setup seems
so close to the JD 1520 that’s it’s kinda scary.

As for old farts, not sure what age the champion ones are, but
I got a feeling I could offer some decent competition …

Thanks again, all … this sure feels like a good spot to be able
to go to when gasifire-build frustration sets in.

Hag

4 Likes

I feel like we’ve got a cumulative 100 some odd years of woodgas experience here on this forum by now. More pairs of eyes on a problem sees more solutions.

1 Like

I wanna say that was either Giorgio or Miroslav that has an Acetylene generator but they’re so darn simple to make honestly. Just get some calcium carbide and a needle valve to drip water on it. That’s how old headlights were lit. Pretty crazy to see copper hose on an old motorcycle for the head and tail lamps.

6 Likes