New member - first post - looking for newbie advice

I forgot my own birthday last year.
I was surprised when I got home from work!
There was cake and people…

7 Likes

So is it bad at 32 years old i forget my own birthday? And have for almost 5 years running now? Brain is elswhere, celebrating getting older just never seems a priority I guess

4 Likes

Sorry Google , wooops Cory , yikes Cody ! sorry mate my half asleep brain not working so well these days

No the reason i wanted to know was someone put up a photo of one that looks a lot like the one we have , its about 1930’ s i think and i thought it was in USA or Canada , still like i said my old mind plays tricks with me these days ,
This is our one

5 Likes

Come to think of it.
I think it was me bring up the acetylene generator.
YA that’s a rare thing to see these days, most people would not know what it is or was used for.

Hi Wallace If you can find the photo you posted that would be great , i have tried looking through a few posts but to no avail .
Many thanks Dave

1 Like

I have some pic’s and drawings of acetylene generators also, if there is interest i can post them?

Old ad for acetylene powered car, imagine driving around with this bomb in the back :grimacing:

6 Likes

Goran I for one would be very interested to see any photo’s and drawings you may have .

Thanks Dave

3 Likes

They probably go in the Ex-wifey thread. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I heard there were people in the USA during the oil crisis that tried to fool people into believing that had cars that ran on water but I never thought anyone would actually try and run a car on acetylene

3 Likes

I have seen engines running on it. I didn’t know they made cars but it isn’t that surprising. compared to charcoal it is a lot cleaner and you don’t even have to get a fire lit. No ash, no smoke, just nice clean fun blastin’ by people on the freeway. :slight_smile:

Actually there was an ad in popular science in the early 80s that was some lawnmower with a magnet, and it would run on various waste, and I think that was the one that used calcium carbide rocks as a ‘filtration media’.

1 Like

Well Hag. You have now been initiated into all the rabbit holes a new thread can
go down. I dare anyone to say we lack focus.

7 Likes

That’s a fact … but it sounds like as long as there’s a Mr. Google around
to keep track of it all, no worries.

For something closer to the original topic … it strikes me that there’s three
major aspects to the woodgas builds - the reactor, cooling, and filtering.
Given that the build I’m planning is so close to WK’s 444 tractor build, I’m
thinking that following his reactor build blow by blow will work, and assuming
that’s correct, I’m going to start scrounging some materials.

Are old propane tanks OK to use for the firetubes? The firetube diameter
in WK’s build was 10" … seems a tad short/small for propane tanks, but
if I come across one that’s close, I figure I might give his shrinkulator
method a try.

Or maybe others have thoughts on good scrounge candidates for a
10" diameter tube?

Hag

Too thin Hag.
Go back to Wayne Keith’s first post video 3:05 minutes where he is reducing down a length of 12-inch highway signpost tube to 10 inches. He says it’s 3/16 inch thick.
Other times he’s said thinner is getting too thin lacking life durability. 1/2 inch unnecessarily too thick driving up overall weight and slowing time from cold to hot enough for good working.
S.U.

5 Likes

http://forum.driveonwood.com/t/wilbur-smith-96-v-10-ram/3926/9

Look at the fire tube in this thread Hag. Sacrificial plates are used in the highest heat area outside the nozzles. Doing this would allow you to use a thinner outer tube casing or you could just make a sacrificial sleeve like on some engine cylinders, mounting the nozzles on the sleeve position right over the holes in the casing so the the channels outside the casing are still feed air to the reaction zone.

OK, folks … I’m going to start a thread in the premium forum … while I haven’t studied all the links passed my way, I’ve made notes of the threads, and as the weather permits (nasty days), I’m going to dig into these and do my homework.

At this point, I have some “order of events” type questions, along with more
fire tube specific questions, and I’m sure some of the dialogue will be of
the “premium” nature, so a new thread seems to make sense to me.

I’m going to wait a few hours before doing so, in case others think I should
do things differently.

appreciate all the input so far

Hag

2 Likes

Use what ya got. Chances are it wont be perfect the first time, and you will want/need to make improvements anyway. While there are some claims of exact science, it isn’t exact because of all the variables.

The ONE thing I would emphasize is making sure all your welds are airtight. Air leaks are about the biggest issue for any new builder and has resulted in many a teardown and headaches to find the pin prick leaks.
If you think it might leak, it probably does.

2 Likes