While at vaseline and grease, there is another, heavier “homemade” mixture that “never” dries or becomes cheese.
Molybdene disulfide, MoS2 if remembering correct, is used for heavy ball-, roll-, and gliding bearings. Usually also used in vaseline presses lubricating through lubrication nipples…
It usually starts slowly to dry out, as the liquid in it is a thin mineral oil which slowly evaporates, and the “cheesing” proscess is unavoidable.
But, if you mix in ~25% STP oilreatment into it, it will stay as is
for 30 – 40 years!
The reason is: STP is a compound of LONG MOLECULES that cannot evaporate.
The thin mineral oil is since long gone, when your greased component still looks as treated yesterday. Thick syrup texture.
I use it for all electrical connectors, that are not “tampered” every day, but once in a year or more seldom, like light bulbs… accumulator poles, hinges, etc.
Never any oxidation…