New solar panels at wholesale prices

I realize that at 780 watts I am bumping up near the limit of my charge controller. 60 amps x 13 volts is 780 watts.

1 Like

You should be fine. You have it as 2 strings of 2 right? It depends on the chargers parameters. I think you mentioned you were using a less common one. Can you limit maximum current on it? We usually only have problems in winter on very cold sunny days that is when the panels can out produce their nameplate by 25 percent. Lots of blown breakers and the occasional dead controller in winter time.

5 Likes

What I mean is that I shouldn’t expect much more than 780 watts. Not that I am concerned about overloading the controller. I will disconnect one string and see if I can approach 470 watts because that is 36.15 amps at 13 volts and will be just over half the capacity of the controller.

2 Likes

I like your start, start small pay cash and expand as the times permit, or debt free as posible. How much money for 3000 watts in michigan, on those brand solar panels.? good luck with you wk type dodge dakota, the wood gas favorite truck and for wood gas.

4 Likes

3000 watts would be 13 panels, $1300.

1 Like

Thanks brian that sounds real reasonable. I will be saveing up for some panels at that good price. Save a lot of generator wood when sun is out.

2 Likes

Here I am ressurecting this thread because i was curious what wholesale prices were for panels ie by the pallet or shipping container. I don’t know if this site is legit, but they look pretty cheap and the panels are in the states already. (if what they say is true) as low as .22/w

4 Likes

Remember to that the solar tax credit will go down again first of the year. I don’t know what the change is off the top of my head but IIRC the current rate is something like 27% of the total cost is deducted from your federal income tax in 2020 for either wind or solar.

4 Likes

A solar PV system must be installed
before December 31, 2019, to claim
a 30% credit. It will decrease to 26%
for systems installed in 2020 and to
22% for systems installed in 2021.
And the tax credit expires starting
in 2022 unless Congress renews it.

has expired However, Congress has continued to investigate the program as recently as June 2016.

I found a court case regarding this
https://ecf.cofc.uscourts.gov/cgi-bin/show_public_doc?2014cv0841-314-0

It has a wealth of information about biomass , permitting, financing , selling power being fined by EPA .

1 Like