Newbie here...in Maryland

Hi, Rick from the Eastern Shore in Maryland. (let me know if anyone is on the shore).
I only just started to be fascinated by this after seeing some YouTube videos…awesome stuff.
So I am definitely considering this, and considering getting Wayne’s book.
I do wonder about OBD2 vehicles? I currently have a 95 Nissan Frontier with a 4 Cyl and I believe it is a MPFI.
Any thoughts on that truck…or get something else.

2 Likes

Welcome. I am in NH but I haven’t built a gasifier yet. As to the book I you can’t go wrong it is well worth the price alone and you also get access to some posts with tons more information showing the internals of the build.
You will find a lot of great advice here for whatever project you choose.

2 Likes

Rick,
The gasifier in the book is built sized for a Dodge Dakota, 5.2L V8 MPFI. That being said, I would vote for you to try the truck you have on wood gas and see how it runs. The computer on many vehicles will do the spark advance for you. I know some of the GM vehicles work that way. You should expect to be able to feed in some gasoline for hill climbing and such, we call that “Hybrid” mode. Mostly that is done by running the existing fuel pump at an adjustable rate. Spark advance is the key to getting the best power from a wood gasifier. I am not the expert here, others will chime in! Welcome! :grin:

3 Likes

Good morning Rick and welcome to the DOW.

" I currently have a 95 Nissan Frontier with a 4 Cyl and I believe it is a MPFI.
Any thoughts on that truck…or get something else."

I think just about all internal combustion engines will run on woodgas . The issues are some will operate much better than others , some will be much easier to convert and some will be much easier to maintain .

I don’t know enough about the Nissan to give an intelligent answer to the question. Using the vehicle you already have is usually a positive move but there may be a lot of negatives involved also.

One question in choosing a vehicle is what will you be doing with it and where will it be driven . Also the quantity of wood you will have available.

Below is a statement Chris prepared that explains the vehicle choice very well .

http://www.driveonwood.com/library/woodgas-donor-vehicle/

5 Likes

Welcome to the DOW RickM
Are you sure your 95 Nissan is OBD II??
It will say on the underhood VECI label. The majority of 95’s were still much kinder OBD I. S-o-m-e 95’s were made and certified to jump ahead mandated 1996 OBD II compliance self-monitoring systems.

Almost all woodgas conversions on OBD vehicles will result in a set red engine light with computer codes. Early systems will still run fine. For mandated emissions testing areas (for re-licensing) and it would just be drop off the woodgas system, erase the codes to turn off the light and it will inspect/test out back on gasoline.
OBD II will need to be driven at last 50 miles of varying speed and loading’s to run it’s internal self-testing monitors successfully after a codes erasure. AND still tell a sharp/critical inspector just how many miles and running time since the last codes erasure.

Regards
tree-farmer for fuels Steve Unruh

4 Likes

The book is worth it. Every home should have a copy.

3 Likes

HI Rick, I have a 2004 Ford Ranger that has an OBDII system. Running it on chargas has definately messed with the computer. When I first started using chargas, it was easy to start the Ranger on gasoline then switch over. Now I have to start on chargas, or crank the engine as the gasoline pump is turned on. This is a delicate situation as it is easy to flood the engine if given too much gasoline too soon. With that said, give it a try with the Nissan. At worst, you will have to erase codes and reset the computer.
Gary in PA

5 Likes