Normans chunker v1

Couldn’t sleep so I turned on youtube and your video was the first up so I sat and thought about it for a while. I’d run on gasoline and sort of the bugs before I tried wood gas. Also since I pulled the recoil starter off my generator at AussieDave’s suggestion and began starting it with a drill I have been much happier, especially to get it started well on wood gas. Wood gas like the extra rpm suction to start running well. Anyway thumbs up. Without challenges life has no meaning.

10 Likes

It will be a drill start for a while till I get it dialed in. Gonna have to do some tweaking for gasoline use…this is the wore out plugged up carb that came with it and the float bowl gasket is MIA. See if I can rig one up somehow

6 Likes

I see a lot of videos of guys feeding propane into the air cleaner housing with out any kind of propane carb. Many years ago I passed a emissions inspection by pumping propane into the air cleaner housing on a four cylinder Ford Ranger.

7 Likes

Yeah just take a blowtorch head and a hose leading to the air intake.

2 Likes
9 Likes

Here is the final overview

10 Likes

Genius use of propane to get the engine running in less than 1 day
I am looking for some lemons after watching the last 2 videos!

8 Likes

My store assistant manager came in and saw me fire it up before work this morning, sat there slack jawed and watched. When I shut it off he looks at me and says " your like some strange redneck savant breed arnt you?" Pretty high praise coming from a guy who grew up in the swamps of Louisiana I think :joy:

11 Likes

What Mike said.
I hope this was not the last episode. I’ve enjoyed following this build very much.

10 Likes

There will be more I think, but for now I need to get a bunch of fuel made up. My stack of pallets is growing quickly and I need to get it processed and drying. I have a good stack of dry lumber I’ll see if it can split 2x6 tonight and that will make up some ready to run fuel. Then start amassing parts for the next add on…

6 Likes

Good job on the build Marcus. You will have more time for driving and with the family now. Less time making wood fuel for you. Yes! DOW just became even more fun.
Bob

9 Likes

That was the goal, less time making fuel and more time with the family. Closed up my trapline the day I started building the chunker to save that time every day. Now to make a bunch of fuel and enjoy the holidays and reopen my line next month if the snow doesn’t mess me up

8 Likes

After I made the chunker and used it a while I had to go back and cut some off the cutter wheel so I would have more time to get the wood set into place.

8 Likes

I noticed right there in the video I don’t have enough time to get the board in and it will get opened up like yours. Once I did all the math I should have come out at 60 rpm at the cutter but by a rough count it’s is about 45/50 rpm and still not enough time so I’ll go back in and open it up some like you did

7 Likes

I’m worried about that 5/8" garden hose for woodgas supply. Wayne used 1-1/4" sump pump hose at Argos to run his generator and I used 1" PVC for my garden tractor with good success. I don’t know how long that hose is but I’m afraid it might have too much restriction to get that motor up to speed.

7 Likes

I agree Don, and it will get changed over to a larger shorter hose for running on wood. I don’t believe it is getting enough air or woodgas to run like it should if the propane is any comparison at all

7 Likes
8 Likes

Cool, free fuel!

I kind of proses my palletwood the same way. Except, I dont work on the floor with the circular saw. Still looking for the right spot in my shop and then a sliding table. Cutting lengt as around two feet for the Atmos.
Conifer wood is cut to the same length and split in a big tire from a Dodge or something simular. It would work great for your left overs and much faster then a tablesaw.

3 Likes

Well the pile was about chest height when I started and the chop saw made its way lower as the pile dwindled :joy: typically I have a forklift on hand and set up a comfortable work station on it but not this time

4 Likes

I re profiled the cutter head and opened it up quite a bit, also put in the hook I talked about in the last video. I had already ran the chunker a bit right before I did these modifications so I could see and feel the difference. Initially the hook section was way to aggressive, if it hit a hard piece of wood it would bounce the trailer tongue up off the ground, so I went back in and softened the corner up a bunch. Small pieces are cut with a heavy downward force, larger pieces get a side cut going and then lopp

ed off from the top down like I was expecting. Only stalled on one heavy knotted up piece and belt slipped just like I had hoped it would. Pallet supply is looking thin for the first time in a while and the prepped chunked fuel is stacking up!

13 Likes