Normans chunker v1

Marcus, it won’t be long now before you start worring about running out of places to go :smile:

8 Likes

Well that would depend on how much fuel I could carry, might have to bring my little trailer back to life for some road trips next summer!

8 Likes

@Wayne I couldn’t use the real audio but you get the idea

8 Likes

Yes Marcus .
Looks like you are keeping the rhythm good!!

have wood will travel

6 Likes

Very impressive chunking.
I didn’t put the splitter on my machine as it just looked too dangerous.
You are making it look very useful

7 Likes

For the amount of lumber I’m using it is very worth it I think. But for branches and small trees I don’t think it will be needed at all

6 Likes

First thing I do when I get a tool with safety guards on them is pull them off. Just an annoyance. I’m kind of thinking I add something that wouldn’t let my hand get pulled into this thing. Engine sounds good. Still on Propane?

7 Likes

It’s the kind of video you watch over and over again. Very satisfying feeling.

7 Likes

I am known for removing safety guards too, OSHA compliant? No, most safety guards are meant to keep stupid people from being stupid. I understand mistakes happen but I still got all my fingers after all these years! Still on propane for the time being, but I have a solution planned for that later

6 Likes

Yes, I know you’ve said you have home propane fueled electric generators.

Ha! But your propane fed now chunker engine shows well why I call Propane the Queen of motor fuels. Easy. Easy. Easy to work with. Just not an artic weather engine fuel.
Deisel is the King of motor fuels. You really have to get it motivated to working.
Gasoline the wild Sons; wild Daughters of motor fuels. Great all-weather, all-seasons work possible. But always trying to run-way . . . and go a’wilding. Can be downright evil if not watched carefully. You always need to be thinking, thinking ahead for problems with gasoline. Sneaky stuff in warm weather.
Woodgas? Red-headed, Step-child of motor fuels. Learn it’s needs and characteristics and much work can be had. Nothing Princely or Princess about wood and char gases.
Donkey/Mule motor fuels.
S.U.

6 Likes

Since I’m kind of the black sheep of the family that suits me fine :rofl: grandpa had a mule, most hard headed creature I ever did meet. Grandpa called him the Swiss army knife, couldnt do anything well, but could do everything. Hard headed as all get out, but put in work. I relegate it to a tlb (tractor loader backhoe) can do everything, but nothing well. The skid steer will run circles around it in mobility and speed with the bucket. The excavator will dig circles around it and move the material easier into place. The dozer will move ten times the material at a finer tune. But if you have a tlb, you can do a lot of work with it that’s for damn sure!

This I will never dispute being raised around heavy equipment and trucks. In my mind there is not a motor fuel willing to put in more work for days and days and days. Cold blooded hard starting and carry the world on its back for a millinia. I salute to the good old 12-02 users. This song could definitely go in the workshop playlist and I listen to it often, a character earl dibbles Jr is

3 Likes
11 Likes

Definitely grab an old bedliner and a spade for shoveling into bags.

7 Likes

I get a satisfied glow just looking at that chunk pile.

9 Likes

Your snow is all gone. But Not here in Wenatchee. Nice pile of wood. Must be nice to have a pile of pre bag SWEM wood ready to dry and then to burn in the truck.
Yup put a bed liner under the chunker. Build it on a bed frame with bigger caster wheels so you can move it to where you want to dry it for a few days under cover and out of the way in the shop area. I like it. Thanks for sharing the video.
Bob

7 Likes

He could build it like a huge set of hand trucks, two wheels and some standoffs on the other side with handles.

4 Likes

Has anyone chunked directly into one of those bulk sacks?
Rindert

3 Likes

I had bags in the buckets last time so direct fill, worked ok but they filled so fast it became annoying. But the bed liner idea I was thinking to mount it into one of my giant pallets, then I can shuttle the chunks out into the sun on nice days easy or stuff in the back room on wet days. Same idea as Wayne and Jo to be able to move them around easily but instead of a trailer I would use a forklift

8 Likes

I made this corral out of chicken wire. It worked out great. Thinking maybe next time I’ll build something like it but with a frame on a pallet. In the mean time my neighbor has been saving old dog food bags for me. Wish I had them before Jacob came.
DSCN3175

9 Likes

My step mom is saving goat feed bags and my step dad is saving chicken feed and bird seed bags for me. I have sixteen bags left to fill, they are only 30lb bags so hold a bit less then the big ones I have been running but no complaints, they are reasonably water resistant so in the bed of the truck in the rain they keep the chunks dry enough for my needs. But if I get a few bed liners kicking around filled up I was thinking of using fencing to be able to fill them up more. Come summer time this chunker is going to have a busy life trying to keep up with pallet wood here I think

6 Likes