Nozzles for Charcoal gasifiers, part 2

not to bring religion into things kim clement mentioned firepoint energy and some of his content/prophecy is mind blowing but when i had looked into it you would think if god is going to release a new form of energy he would make it available to the poorest and to where a government or corporation couldnt control and tax it kind of like how water is you can find food and water free
we all have our reasons for running on wood for myself i heat with wood,make lumber so there is an abundance with the ice storm i have pine and other trees that have broken tops
but also the rising cost of gas and diesel the electric company has really indirectly started price/bill hiking to cover the cost of the mass damage the icestorm caused my transformer blew so they are
trying to say there is an old bill 500 plus because they took the meter out after it broke from the support line snapping and breaking the glass they want to charge 200 for a new inspection
when nothing changed inside kentucky power is a very bad company a few years back me and my mother had to fight them over reimbursement after they switched account type to commercial
(its a cabin in the country no septic) when we got a 2000 monthly bill and came and cut it off pulled the meter inspection required then the linemen nitpicked an arc mark made after one of them tightened a wire lug so that fiasco was another inspection they are just impossible to reason with
poor company the puc needs to deal with but folks around here wont speak out or try to go alternative…

1 Like

The boiling point of carbon is 3825C is carbons sublimation point. I would imagine odder things happen above that.

I’m not sure anyone has tried with electrons, nor am I sure the process would work. But you might end up with diamonds. A lot of synthetic diamonds are made using gas disposition, and high pressure, high temperature processing.
But the electron stuff makes more sense with oxygen since the electron stream would weaken one of Carbon Oxygen double bonds.

They have tried to make graphene that way, but it is really tricky, and most of the time they end up with flakes not even small sheets.

1 Like

here is what a came up with as far as a green wood nozzle i chose a beech limb that broke from the ice i figured someone with better tools might be able to improve im working with primitive tools because an old hand drill is the deepest bit i could drill but while making it i was thinking of a cheech and chong pipe lol but any how the way i had thought about sealing the end is with a cv joint axle boot the idea was to make it so as it might be consumed it could be advanced or even turned a bit

3 Likes

2 Likes

the 1/2 or 3/4 pipe is screwed into the green wood nozzle a drill press or lathe could be used to drill a fairly strait hole as well as smooth down the outer part for a better fit if a cv joint boot isnt available an old inner tube or thick rubber stretched around the bigger pipe and little pipe with hose clamps might suffice as well the idea is that the green/wet wood will char creating a carbon heat shield that will reflect the heat back (the principal of trying to burn wet wood with a blow torch) while im sure this could be improved by others i havent tested it because it got dark
and dont laugh at my welding im not use to torch welding and im useing old rusted thin tank barbed wire and stick electrodes and wire
for filler rod
in this picture you can see the wood sticking out of the end of the pipe this would aid in a quick change out of the consumable portion if you used a long pieace then you could pull it out an drill a new nozzle that points up
also if a spring was put on the outer part a strong vacuum would pull the wood nozzle in further or move it in then the spring would retract it a tenon cutter can be made to shave the branch to make a nice fit it might not be a bad thing to have air enter around the wood nozzle the pipe around the nozzle is 2 inch galvanized

3 Likes

A lovely sunny warm Autumn day here so seeing’s as i have solar panels working away charging up my batteries i thought i may as well empty my charcoal drum and see the state of the nozzle .
I think its been nearly a year since the last time i emptied my gasifier to check on the nozzle and clean out the ash and clinkers , and the other day it was feeling pretty warm around the bottom of the drum and so maybe the nozzle might finally need replacing after being installed in 2018 .
Well i found out why the bottom of the drum was getting hot anyway take a look at my clinker volcano .

Most of the outer edge was pretty soft and broke away real easy , the closer i got towards the nozzle itself the harder the clinker became and the glassy hard stuff was not a easy job to clean off the nozzle without damaging it , well it did break off pretty easy as it happens and this is what i found below that hard clinker volcano

Now that’s not bad is it for a 28 month old nozzle , no wear at all no erosion , oxidation or anything at all .
I have 3 smaller bits of tungsten that Bruce kindly posted to me , i think the time has come to try them in a new gasifier as this one just isn’t gonna wear out anytime soon by the looks of it .
Dave

10 Likes

That is amazing Dave. How long do you think it would last in a horizontal application?

2 Likes

Hi Don , I’m not 100% sure to be honest , i did run my first tungsten carbide piece horizontal that was in a fire brick and that worked really well up too the fire brick turning to glass and the tungsten was like the one above not a mark on it , so maybe it would be worth someone in the US trying it for us , i bought this one direct and they slugged me $30 AU shipping and i know if i had got someone to post me 3 it still would only have cost around $12 US post service .

3 Likes

I just had a thought Mr Tom Holton who i know for a fact has one of these Hexoly nozzles just sat there waiting to be tested how about it Tom you up for a challenge to see how well you can run that nozzle horizontally in one of your gasifiers .
Dave

4 Likes

I have one of those also and I plan to replace the ceramic tig nozzle with the Hexoly one in my lawn tractor as soon as I figure out how to mount it.

2 Likes

Thank you Dave for your nozzle endurance tests. It seems you run your gasifier more often and for longer periods than others and your feedback on the different nozzles is really helpful. Since Hexoly was suggested as being good, I got one and is mounted for horizontal use, but I will never run it enough for my input to be useful unless we have a disaster.

Don, I’m looking forward to seeing your results. The bottom entry nozzle certainly must be the best layout to protect the nozzle, but does make the application of a water drip more difficult. The side entry nozzle works hard on whatever material is used as we have seen over and over again. The Leitinger Flute Nozzle is neat, because if offers the advantages of both. Looking forward to more test results . . . .

4 Likes

OK Mr Dave. I have another updraft unit I put together last week. I was going to run the inch and a half pipe cap, horizontal to vertical nozzle with the holes bored out some but I’ll bore the firebrick nozzle out half way to receive the hexaloy tube and run it horizontal. This was the one I was going to use.

3 Likes

Hi Tom , just thinking out loud here why not just try the pipe cap first seeing’s as you done all that work and see how you get on , and while your running it keep and eye out for a 1 inch to 3/4 reducer ( that’s if your pipe is 3/4) and if you grind away some of the thread on the 1 inch side of the reducer that Hexoloy should snugly fit in and then you just screw the 3/4 end onto your pipe no need for a fire brick , not unless you want to use one of course .
Dave

2 Likes

Dave,
When I ordered a second Hexloy nozzle, it was a different diameter in and out and length than the first, but I believe I ordered the same thing. I think these must be cut-off end pieces from different original stock.

2 Likes

Oh that’s interesting i have only had the one so i have been expecting them all to be the same , i best be carful when explaining to people how to make them fit into a 1 inch adapter then just in case they are a lot smaller .
Thanks Steve

3 Likes

I would only order in batches just to be safe. Higher chance they are all the same size.

1 Like

Steve did you order from the same seller in the link i posted ? only he shows the size in his description so there should be no variation

1 Like

I am not sure and I don’t have the thing in the house right now but I think the OD on mine was an inch and seven sixteenths. I would just fit inside a coupling for an inch and a quarter sch 40 pipe. That’s what I would nest it in if I were going vertical. Horizontal I would be concerned that the heat would still be close enough to the hexaloy to melt so that’s why i am going to use the firebrick to nest it in. It’s no big deal for me to make those bucket reactors with the clay around the 8 inch core to try out all these nozzles, rather than pulling a whole unit apart to change them. I’m even going to try one with a plastic bucket to see what happens. The ones I’m using now with only an inch of clay around the reactor core are still cool enough to put your hand on the pail for a few seconds.

2 Likes

I received a diameter different from what was posted. I shared my complaint without contacting the seller first and made him mad. My bad.

2 Likes

Dave,
I believe I ordered both times from the same webpage. Possibly from time to time he posts different measurements depending on what is available. The color of both of mine was black. In the photo it looks lighter. I think this is the link that was first posted on DOW. It’s been a while, so I not sure:

1 Like