Nozzles for Charcoal gasifiers, part 2

That is amazing Dave. How long do you think it would last in a horizontal application?

2 Likes

Hi Don , I’m not 100% sure to be honest , i did run my first tungsten carbide piece horizontal that was in a fire brick and that worked really well up too the fire brick turning to glass and the tungsten was like the one above not a mark on it , so maybe it would be worth someone in the US trying it for us , i bought this one direct and they slugged me $30 AU shipping and i know if i had got someone to post me 3 it still would only have cost around $12 US post service .

3 Likes

I just had a thought Mr Tom Holton who i know for a fact has one of these Hexoly nozzles just sat there waiting to be tested how about it Tom you up for a challenge to see how well you can run that nozzle horizontally in one of your gasifiers .
Dave

4 Likes

I have one of those also and I plan to replace the ceramic tig nozzle with the Hexoly one in my lawn tractor as soon as I figure out how to mount it.

2 Likes

Thank you Dave for your nozzle endurance tests. It seems you run your gasifier more often and for longer periods than others and your feedback on the different nozzles is really helpful. Since Hexoly was suggested as being good, I got one and is mounted for horizontal use, but I will never run it enough for my input to be useful unless we have a disaster.

Don, I’m looking forward to seeing your results. The bottom entry nozzle certainly must be the best layout to protect the nozzle, but does make the application of a water drip more difficult. The side entry nozzle works hard on whatever material is used as we have seen over and over again. The Leitinger Flute Nozzle is neat, because if offers the advantages of both. Looking forward to more test results . . . .

4 Likes

OK Mr Dave. I have another updraft unit I put together last week. I was going to run the inch and a half pipe cap, horizontal to vertical nozzle with the holes bored out some but I’ll bore the firebrick nozzle out half way to receive the hexaloy tube and run it horizontal. This was the one I was going to use.

3 Likes

Hi Tom , just thinking out loud here why not just try the pipe cap first seeing’s as you done all that work and see how you get on , and while your running it keep and eye out for a 1 inch to 3/4 reducer ( that’s if your pipe is 3/4) and if you grind away some of the thread on the 1 inch side of the reducer that Hexoloy should snugly fit in and then you just screw the 3/4 end onto your pipe no need for a fire brick , not unless you want to use one of course .
Dave

2 Likes

Dave,
When I ordered a second Hexloy nozzle, it was a different diameter in and out and length than the first, but I believe I ordered the same thing. I think these must be cut-off end pieces from different original stock.

2 Likes

Oh that’s interesting i have only had the one so i have been expecting them all to be the same , i best be carful when explaining to people how to make them fit into a 1 inch adapter then just in case they are a lot smaller .
Thanks Steve

3 Likes

I would only order in batches just to be safe. Higher chance they are all the same size.

1 Like

Steve did you order from the same seller in the link i posted ? only he shows the size in his description so there should be no variation

1 Like

I am not sure and I don’t have the thing in the house right now but I think the OD on mine was an inch and seven sixteenths. I would just fit inside a coupling for an inch and a quarter sch 40 pipe. That’s what I would nest it in if I were going vertical. Horizontal I would be concerned that the heat would still be close enough to the hexaloy to melt so that’s why i am going to use the firebrick to nest it in. It’s no big deal for me to make those bucket reactors with the clay around the 8 inch core to try out all these nozzles, rather than pulling a whole unit apart to change them. I’m even going to try one with a plastic bucket to see what happens. The ones I’m using now with only an inch of clay around the reactor core are still cool enough to put your hand on the pail for a few seconds.

2 Likes

I received a diameter different from what was posted. I shared my complaint without contacting the seller first and made him mad. My bad.

2 Likes

Dave,
I believe I ordered both times from the same webpage. Possibly from time to time he posts different measurements depending on what is available. The color of both of mine was black. In the photo it looks lighter. I think this is the link that was first posted on DOW. It’s been a while, so I not sure:

1 Like

Dave and Bruce,
I just measured the two I purchased at different times: My measurements may be up to 1/16" off. The first one was .75" ID, 1.25" OD, 2.25 long. The second one was 1" ID, 1.375" OD, 2.25" long.

1 Like

Hi Bruce, well he should have supplied what was promised if he says its one thing and you get another then what does he expect , on another note though to be honest its not a deal breaker if its a few mm here or there out as long as i can Codge something up to make do , its a shame the postage is so high from him other wise i would have ordered a few more regardless of the sizes .
Steve the first link that was posted on DOW was dead i had to put a search into Fleabay and lots came up including the link i posted here yesterday so who knows , sure sounds and looks like the same seller .
Have you seen the water spray nozzles as well ? again if postage wasn’t the killer here i think i would be tempted to get one .
Dave

Tom , if you manage to melt that Hexoloy from it mounted vertically i will eat my hat :rofl: on the other hand maybe the fire brick might end up like mine

Dave

3 Likes

Dave, did you put the iron pipe inside or outside of the hexiloy nozzle. What would be best for expansion problems?

1 Like

Hi Don i fitted the Hexoloy inside a 1 inch pipe fitting adaptor , from memory I just had to grind away some of the thread to make it a nice air tight fit , i would imagine that the expansion rate must be pretty much even as i have never had a problem with it cracking

3 Likes

Oh and its only inside of the fitting by less than half an inch there was plenty protruding outside of the fitting

3 Likes