Off Grid Batteries

Hello everyone on the forum what do you think about what I can do with these devices

Frequency inverter for induction motor

Mile widziany !

It looks like many high value parts have been removed from the electrical encloser.
The frequency drive, if it works correctly can be used to do a lot of interesting things that require speed control on an AC motor like a blower for example.

1 Like

GM Announced a new Energy Storage division,
“GM Energy will offer products and services for what the company calls “energy management,” including hardware such as batteries and solar panels as well as hydrogen fuel cells and — importantly — cloud-based software that can link these offerings with electric vehicles and utility companies. The products, some of which will be provided by partners, can be tailored for individual homeowners as well as businesses, including companies operating fleets of electric vehicles”

They are partnering with SunRun who is a large solar installer amongst others groups of people.

So you can do vehicle to home, and home to grid or vice versa. It is on the heels of two announcements, one was a deal with Hertz for supplying them with EVs and the other was an announcement with Pilot gas stations for vehicle charging. Both of whom, along with fleet customers would be interested in canned solution like this. It will be interesting to see if the ‘home’ offering allows for dc fast charging.

GM will allow for fast charging from one EV to another EV but i don’t believe the homeown service would be capable of supplying enough power for fast charging.
Ford announced a partnership for their EV with a major solar inverter company months before GM to both provide V2G and V2H hardware. But ford isn’t offering V2V as far as i know that is something only GM has offered.

1 Like

I suspect this depends on how big the system is. the more batteries the more power you can deliver. The hydrogen storage is kind of what caught my eye along with the EnerVenue’s announcement of their metal-hydrogen battery like last week as well, but I didn’t see any tie in to GM.

They just announced the 2024 Cadillac Celestiq, which is limited to 500 handbuilt fully customized vehicles for 300k. I am sure some will sell, but it is too rich for my blood. :slight_smile:

Are you suggesting that there would be a battery bank in the home large enough to power the EV? That would be amazing and crazy big. An EV battery would power the avg home for something over a week and the avg off grid home now only has 2 days storage. It is my understanding of both the ford and GM solution that they don’t require any batteries in the home so the V2H and V2G would be limited by the 100 amps 220 VAC service in North America that is pretty much the standard. DC fast chargers at the moment all require 480VAC 3 phase. I haven’t looked recently enough to say without looking it up but the power requirements for fast charging are high. I am not even sure how fast a V2V will work out for the Chevy because both vehicles have to depend on their own cooling system. In a fast charging system the charger cools the water for the EV battery pack and the cable that requires liquid cooling.

I am saying it isn’t out of the realm of possibilities. You don’t need to convert to 3-phase for dc fast charging because dc fast charging is 400v or 800v pulsed dc. A crazy big battery but not out of the question either, and certainly it would be available for commercial customers. it would be far from the first time someone installed commercial equipment at home.

I can’t find the dimension for the HummerEV pack which would be 200kwh, but I would guess no more then 4x8x6" that is enough to fast charge a Bolt or a silverado. Add two because no one has one vehicle. :slight_smile: Connect to the existing 200a service, and you are able to refill it without needing a service box upgrade. The latter is more important for commercial customers because of how they get billed for electricity and the fact most places rent their space so they can’t make the upgrades.

Well at over $100 per kw today for storage wholesale the packs you suggest are out of the question for any but the wealthiest. Maybe if we get something like the polymer batteries that are hopped to make mass production at $20. But i suspect those technologies are a decade from market at those types of prices. If you can afford a couple of spare Hummers sure got for it fast charge your bolt…

GM said they are close to 100kwh for a pack price right now and will be even less with their new cell chemistry. There is an off-chance they have access to the CATL sodium batteries which puts storage pack costs down to 50/kwh. GM’s Ultium platform is battery chemistry agnostic and packs can mix n match but they also could be using hydrogen. I haven’t been able to pluck out all the details.

I never said it would be cheap. but if they can profit at 100/kwh for the battery pack, with the inverter it could be < 10k for 60kwh compare that to say 450/kwh for powerwall knock offs. As much as it is, It is actually a good deal relatively speaking.

GM has signed agreements with LG Chem and invested over a billion dollars in a joint venture with them in the ultium platform. So no they don’t have access to the latest technology from CATL. I was disappointed that GM doubled down with LG Chem after the bolt battery fires. It was the perfect time for them to switch to the safer less expensive LFP technologies that are now getting pretty close to the energy density at the pack level to lithium ion with zero fire risk. I was hoping GM would make the switch and sell it as a safety advantage with their EV products. Unfortunately they didn’t both GM and Ford are using the shorter cycle life lithium ion technologies. Tesla uses both technologies but it is an ordering nightmare where you have to know which cells they use in which size pack. BYD is using LFP but they don’t sell in the USA thanks to the new cold war and Tariff war.
I have followed the battery technology in some detail. At the monent CATL is using sodium in some scooters in asia and i think it is Nio the company in China with the battery swaps for cars that is looking at them for their vehicles on the grounds that you can swap in a longer range pack with a different chemistry if you need to make a long trip. The energy density of the new CATL batteries is much lower as sodium is below lithium on the periodic table and a much bigger element.

1 Like

Then you know that a bunch of the LFP patents expire this year. Which GM if they WANTED to use LFP can make their own. The newest CATL patent only gives a 10% boost to density. The costs can easily be made up with manufacturing improvements. LFP has issues at sub-freezing temperatures, so they already need an hvac system for them. there is no savings there. CATL would certainly sell GM batteries. There is no question about that.

GM has already hinted their Tennessee factory may use a different chemisty. What that is I don’t know. GM has only stated their current battery tech is 40% cheaper then traditional lion and the next gen is 60% cheaper.
And their cost per pack will be sub 100/kwh with the next gen.

Sodium has cycle life issues from what I have seen, but it is cheap.

The Bolt battery issue is taken care of. They even added newer tech to it, that actually cut the replacement cost in half as well as made it safer.

Ford uses a technology that will not catch fire because of the manufacturing design. The lifecycle may not be as long, but both GM and Ford packs are designed to accept replacement modules with different chemistries. You don’t have to replace the whole pack if there is an issue.

I don’t think GM is looking at battery swaps, I think they are looking at 5-15 minute charging which cuts down on a myriad of problems, and there is some technology that can do it, but there are other issues with it right now.

But in reality, if you are saying battery swaps, you are just saying the current battery technology isn’t good enough and there is ample room for improvement. so we are waiting for the next-gen anyway.

1 Like

Correct but that wouldn’t be using the LG Chem technology they just invested over a billion dollars into. I was hopping that GM would go the LFP route but all signs are that they and ford are not.

Well that would fly in the face of all their ad campaigns this last year. They have been clear they are going to a single platform with their Ultium platform which is supplied by LG Chem.

Tomorrow tomorrow your always a day away…
I will believe future battery costs when the future gets here if they are not coming directly from a major battery manufacturing with credibility at hitting their targets in the past.

CATL claims to have cycle like equal to LFP with their new sodium technology that is in field testing and certification for Chinese EV safety rating. I believe they will release it in mass production end of 23 or start of 24.

I never said it wasn’t resolved. Although the hummers have had a recall for battery issues related to the connector lug overheating and causing fires so apparently their next gen after bolt first gen ultium platform has issues.

I wouldn’t brag about relative safety after having to tell you customers don’t drive this car and don’t even park it near your home or other buildings because it might burst into flames. Seems it would be hard to make that any less safe as it wasn’t safe to park next to anything you didn’t want to burn up.

Ford is dependent on the BMS same as any lithium ion batteries technology tesla has proven that is not bullet proof with their seldom but real fires.

That would depend on the issue. But tesla has swapped sections of the battery from their start so i don’t know why you find this import to point out that GM and Ford can do the same thing.

NIO has been selling their cars with battery swap technology for a few years now in china and is building a network in Europe to so the same. There are many reasons for that technology not the least of which people who rent and don’t want to wait for charging. In and out in about a minute is better for them. But also you buy the EV at a low price and rent the batteries so it has a lower cost of ownership. I simply said i believe they are the first company to sign up for the sodium based product from CATL which doesn’t mean the technology isn’t good enough.

As to your comment about 5 or 15 minute fast charging the reality is fast charging damages all current battery technologies. So no i don’t think GM has a better solution with their plan to do a 5 minute fast change something tesla isn’t currently able to do with years of EV experience working with every major battery manufacturer out there as Tesla buys from most all the big battery manufacturers. 5 minute charging from GM sounds like pie in the sky marketing.

2 Likes

GM has a partnership with LG Energy to manufacture batteries. GM owns manufacturing rights to the battery chemistry. They are not stuck on a single chemistry, their whole platform design is based around they will need to make future changes.

Ford is using SK Innovations batteries. “SK Innovation uses the “Z-folding” technique when stacking the separators inside the battery. Z-folding is a technique where separators are evenly stacked in a zigzag manner to minimize the stress of battery cells and fundamentally prevent the contact between anodes and cathodes that can cause fire” while that doesn’t eliminate all fires, it certainly reduces fires.

The sodium batteries apparently aren’t cheap to produce so according to this from last year, they are saying they cost more to produce then lfp batteries and the cost will start dropping in 2025.

The BOM costs and lifecycles which are from last year are in this article which is the best one I have found on sodium ion. GM’s NMC batteries have aluminum and are most likely cheaper then the listed BOM. And lithium prices have at least tripled since this article. I didn’t realize lfp and ncm were actually that close for BOM costs. $50 vs $70, sodium is at $35.

2 Likes

System setup with foldable laptop stand.

Current limiter from the street in 3d printed house

Victron control panel

Except for the batterycables things are coming together. Peakshaving is possible now. Next step is gathering some more batt packs and re arrange the bms. It seems the victrons are ok now.

Celvoltage read out via Daly bms

6 Likes

This is pretty interesting Bill. I wonder if by stacking them they would add up? How about wrapping the pipe with your leads. Would that add voltage like winding more wire for an electro magnet?

1 Like

I totally have to post this here somewhere because batteries are flipping expensive.
This is the all open source iron battery, that has a really low density, but it works:
https://www.hardware-x.com/article/S2468-0672(20)30080-8/fulltext

This one is a bit higher density:
The resulting steel–brass battery exhibits cell voltages up to 1.8 V, energy density up to 20 Wh/kg, power density up to 20 kW/kg, and stable cycling over 5000 cycles in alkaline electrolytes.
https://pubs.acs.org/doi/10.1021/acsenergylett.6b00295

Then this guy on his channel explores all sorts of chemistries, but I thought the all carbon battery would be of interest:

5 Likes

It would be nice if there were easy plans to build batteries from easy to get materials.

2 Likes

I don’t know if you have seen this guy Al. He makes about a video a day. Quite a few different battery builds but none that I could figure out how to scale up to be really useful.

3 Likes