On climate change

Maybe selfish but, things could get warmer where i live

3 Likes

Be careful what you wish for…

1 Like

. I wish it be warmer so i can ride my bike . possibly convert it to woodgas . Have you guys tried to compress it ?

Warmer move south. Lol.
As to compressing it. It has been discussed here before. I just tried a search and can’t seem to remember enough to narrow the search down to find it. But the short answer is it doesn’t work well. Natural gas is actually a liquid and you can’t get enough volume of wood gas in a bottle to amount to much plus if you pressurize it to increase the volume the CO and Hydrogen in wood gas recombine to make water if I remember correctly. But under pressure you loose you gasses you are trying to store to non useful gasses is what i remember reading.

1 Like

oops, i am driving on compressed natural gas in my hybrid… i must have made some mistake there :grin:

CNG, is compressed, not liquified, gas
It takes a lot of energy to compress it, store it, transport it…
Tanks are filled up to 240 Bar, measured in Kg/gas per filling

Same energy needed for woodgas, CO, …

For woodgas its far less efficient since the total energy needed to put it in a bottle, would double the energy cost, or , in normal language, it would take double consumption… ( putting it in a tank at home and calculating the energy needed to put it in a tank, vs the gasifier on the car… )

4 Likes

Climate change…

A hot topic… :grin:

What if: we build local gasifiers, per community, harvesting the forrest for scrap wood ( thus preventing wildfire)

Using that scrap to produce heat and fuel for the community…
( charcoaling during winter time, using charcoal during summer time )

Using the charcoaling process and the charcoal gasifying process to get rid of “domestic waste” aka RDF
any smoke or odor eliminated by using the glowing charcoal…

Using the exhaust heat from the generators to help in the charcoaling process… ( a retort system inside the exhaust pipe )

PS: all of the above i am actually building…
But, since the topic will be closed in another 12 hours, i have to spent my sunday on typing in this topic instead of building… :grin: :grin: :grin:

3 Likes

I ask because there is a guy on youtube that stored woodgas in a 100lb propane tank for over a year and it worked , there other guys too. I’m not really looking at efficiency but rather safety factor

Hot from my keyboard:

The big generator i am working on is going to be the example/project in a sustainable new energy project.

1: sustainable cultivating bamboo
2: using all aspects of this bamboo, from food to timber to medicine to energy…
3: Project for farmer / community sustainability

Including retort charcoaling, gasifying, IC engine to generate power, using waste heat to dry herbs / feedstock / …

and…: to give once and for all a proof that using woodgas as engine fuel is less polluting then diesel or other fossil fuels ( measured emissions from exhaust )

5 Likes

Van …just from my viewing you seem the most scientific… can we compress gas ? and can it be done safe . Thanks !

Try it, i did, it works… even have clips on youtube to show it…
stay within the limits and all can be done…

equipment can be bought off shelve

its similar as using a dril… would you put a drill to your head ?

Safety starts with the dumbass who’s ignorant to others safety…
So, use equipment wisely and all’s well

2 Likes

any advice in doing so…definitely doing a flash back arestor…That’s what i want check , if im too dumb :slight_smile:

build some decent watertraps in line… making things vissible…

testing to perform for educating yourself: take a 1 gallon pet bottle, fill it halve with woodgas, half with air
then ignite with a electric shocker…

change the mixtures…

change the bottle size

ow, wait, not put on the lid, coz that would give more bang then woosh…

The lid comes with “advanced course” after initial course"

So far the big bang theory…

3 Likes

Solar Power Is Wonderful, Really, Except When You Build It Anywhere Near Anything
Senator Dianne Feinstein introduced legislation in Congress on Monday to protect a million acres of the Mojave Desert in California by scuttling some 13 big solar plants and wind farms planned for the region.

But before the bill to create two new Mojave national monuments has even had its first hearing, the California Democrat has largely achieved her aim. Regardless of the legislation’s fate, her opposition means that few if any power plants are likely to be built in the monument area, a complication in California’s effort to achieve its aggressive goals for renewable energy.

Developers of the projects have already postponed several proposals or abandoned them entirely. The California agency charged with planning a renewable energy transmission grid has rerouted proposed power lines to avoid the monument.

“The very existence of the monument proposal has certainly chilled development within its boundaries,” said Karen Douglas, chairwoman of the California Energy Commission.

…Mrs. Feinstein heads the Senate subcommittee that oversees the budget of the Interior Department, giving her substantial clout over that agency, which manages the government’s landholdings. Her intervention in the Mojave means it will be more difficult for California utilities to achieve a goal, set by the state, of obtaining a third of their electricity from renewable sources by 2020; projects in the monument area could have supplied a substantial portion of that power.

Drive on wood is sustainable , possibly carbon negative , possibly the only power source that is carbon negative , does not leave a foot print or has one that can virtually disappear in fifty years .

2 Likes

This has been an interesting topic. I didn’t agree with every thing that was said but I was exposed to thoughts of others that made me look at what I believed from a different perspective. I guess that’s one of the things a forum is for.

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 2 days. New replies are no longer allowed.