On climate change

In Florida, officials ban term ‘climate change’ State environmental officials ordered not to use the terms “climate change” or “global warming” in any government communications, emails, or reports.

I was following the agreement on climate change closely . It was a lot . do not no where or when or who , but it was said fuel efficient cooking stoves do not matter in regards to climate change and should not receive any funding . study was being done to see if fuel efficient cook stoves reduced respiratory illness , study was badly done results were inconclusive .

“At the small scale, most people believe the benefits can be much, much higher than the drawbacks,” said Helena Chum, a research fellow at the National Renewable Energy Laboratory and the lead author of the bioenergy chapter in the IPCC’s special report on renewable energy and climate change.
Though most of the individual steps in bioenergy processing – like growing, harvesting and converting biomass into useful fuels and energy – are mature in terms of technology, the economics are still a challenge, but increasingly less so.
“Every part of this chain has to make a profit,” Chum explained. “I think in five to 10 years, we’llhave several production facilities going.”
In pyrolysis, operators cook organic material to temperatures around 300 degrees Celsius, which releases hydrogen, methane, methanol and carbon monoxide, leaving behind char as a byproduct. Crank the temperature up to 700 C and take out the oxygen, and you have gasification, which also produces fuel and char.
Because some of it stays behind in the char, not all of the carbon from biomass oxidizes into carbon dioxide. This leads to a net reduction in greenhouse gases in the atmosphere without costly carbon dioxide absorbers. Farmers commonly use char to enrich soil, so blending it with earth or burying it effectively sequesters this carbon and helps more biomass grow, further driving emissions into negative territory.

“That material you generate is more persistent in the soil in the environment than the original biomass it’s produced from,” said Johannes Lehmann, a professor of soil science at Cornell University. He noted that char itself is a fuel and, if burned, makes pyrolysis or gasification carbon-neutral instead of carbon-negative, which is still a benefit to the extent it displaces fossil fuels.

2 Likes

I have a hard time understanding how this page disturbs the DOW forum.
In my case it is rather a stimulus to act, to construct gasogene … to reduce my carbon emissions
The construction of a gasifier for someone who does not know how to weld, who has never worked metal is a great challenge. If that person understands the link between DOW and climate change this may become a strong incentive to act. :wink:
Thierry

5 Likes

I agree with your points Thierry. I understand that the topic of discussion has been spun almost beyond belief for the sake of vested interests in the US, (though the Canadian spin has been considerable too). But, let’s note, that amongst the scientific community, and the remainder of nations of Europe and around the globe the issue is accepted as alarming fact. The votes are in, as they say, there is consensus. Human forced climate change is a fact, and the implications are potentially beyond catastrophic.

I understand that the further south a person is, the less obvious the effects. I have walked on the collapsing glaciers in the Canadian Rockies, their global decline is far beyond any debate, and that loss alone will be devastating for various reasons. I have encountered the permafrost sinkholes forming in the massive accumulations of organic permafrost at the extreme of the treeline. I have witnessed turkey vultures and other species completely foreign in my youth become common residents here. Global satellite data has shown 20 C temperature deviations above normal over large areas of the artic ocean since the fall. These things are signs that we are courting absolute disaster. Once the arctic ocean becomes ice free the energy exchange in the northern hemisphere will greatly change, possibly like a boat capsizing. If our climate falters to a degree to impair agriculture, none of the rest matters for our gigantic world population, or civilization. And we have roughly 55 days of food reserves globally nowadays. A pinch will hit very fast and hard, as we had a hint of in 2008.

Read Jarrod Diamond’s book, Collapse, for the repeated observations of how every previous civilization has over exploited key resources, overshot, and eventually failed, often catastrophically…

For me these signs are strong motivating factors to aim for carbon neutrality, or even negative carbon, practically achievable in my opinion by common people only by partial biomass pyrolysis and subsequent sequestration of the char. I can measure a pile of char. I can weigh it, and incorporate it into the soil, and be sure it will stay where I put it, with potential benefits for the soil as well. Unlike any corporate claims. It could be far too little, too late now anyways, observing the scale and speed of change underway, but I believe that if we are a thinking, moral species, we should do what we can as individuals. The emergency lights are flashing.

I will be sad to see this topic gone.

In the morning I am off to my farm, to split cordwood while still frozen and easy going, for the purpose of making charcoal, the doing rather than talking component, so this is the last of my contributions on this important topic.

Regards,

4 Likes

Maybe Chris is right and we should close this up on a high note.
But I feel better after this thread because I know there are a lot of like minded people here who clearly feel something is very wrong about the course we are on and are making a difference
Absolutely right we are about it too!

Now some music to make my exit too.

4 Likes

Dizzy monsters, eating holes through the spirit world, where wild things have to go, to disappear, forever. Has haunted me since the 80’s. Never got to the amazonas, only to central America, but it was just as vibrant, and just as damaged there. And we were less than 5 billion back in those days.

3 Likes

And I am wondering where the lions are.

Darn straight there are some like minded fellows here ( all of you I think ).

Thank you all for the great thought provoking thread!

3 Likes

Perfect choice. And deserving of a wider audience than just Canada. Sad he died so young, but so heroically. He would have had things to say today in his unique way, and so far sighted.

I work for the man, and know in my bones how wrong it is, but how we are forced into it. I have taken those night shift walks, and wished for a better world.

Thinking of Tiny Fish for Japan…

2 Likes

Perhaps our requiem, if we have the dignity.

2 Likes

One warn line that could define a nation.

But if one composer of recent times could define Industrial man it would have to be Shostakovitch and the 7th symphony or American Philip Glass ( and I am torn between the two as to who has the most heart )

The 7th is a very complicated piece of music I chose a very non political version of to post.

BUT if this post is to be my swan song for anything it would be the 7th.
The music of my soul ( if I have one ) belongs to this symphony.

2 Likes

i have no statements to make, just have gasifiers to build :grin:

5 Likes

Understanding the “doing” from Chris but also the need for talking of others…

Maybe we could keep it up Chris ? coz nobody is disagreeing each other ?
Yes, we should and could build more gasifiers in the same time… But if we talked more, we would be drinking less on our barstools, hence less accidents would happen…

2 Likes

Great choices…
20 characters required…

if we could use less characters, maybe we would not talk that much ? :grin:

1 Like

He who DOW will never walk alone…

7 Likes

Now that is a great statement.

1 Like

He who DOW will often find dark smudges

2 Likes

Oceanic cyanobacteria, which evolved into multicellular forms more than 2.3 billion years ago (approximately 200 million years before the GOE),[6] are believed to have become the first microbes to produce oxygen by photosynthesis.[7] Before the GOE, any free oxygen they produced was chemically captured by dissolved iron or organic matter. The GOE was the point in time when these oxygen sinks became saturated, at which point oxygen, produced by the cyanobacteria, was free to escape into the atmosphere.

Cyanobacteria: Responsible for the buildup of oxygen in the earth’s atmosphere
The increased production of oxygen set Earth’s original atmosphere off balance.[8] Free oxygen is toxic to obligate anaerobic organisms, and the rising concentrations may have destroyed most such organisms at the time. Cyanobacteria were therefore responsible for one of the most significant extinction events in Earth’s history. Besides marine cyanobacteria, there is also evidence of cyanobacteria on land.

The timing of the human control of fire is a hotly debated issue, with claims for regular fire use by early hominins in Africa at 1.6 million y ago. These claims are not uncontested, but most archaeologists would agree that the colonization of areas outside Africa, especially of regions such as Europe where temperatures at time dropped below freezing, was indeed tied to the use of fire.

Modern smog, as found for example in Los Angeles is a type of air pollution derived from vehicular emission from internal combustion engines and industrial fumes that react in the atmosphere with sunlight to form secondary pollutants that also combine with the primary emissions to form photochemical smog. In certain other cities, such as Delhi, smog severity is often aggravated by stubble burning in neighboring agricultural areas. The atmospheric pollution levels of Los Angeles, Beijing, Delhi, Mexico City, Tehran and other cities are increased by inversion that traps pollution close to the ground. It is usually highly toxic to humans and can cause severe sickness, shortened life or death.

Thailand

http://www.doitung.org/sald_environmental.php

1 Like

Climate change is a long term problem, multi-faceted problem that requires everyone on the planet to make small changes to their lifestyles to contribute. Whether it is driving on wood, solar panels, or merely changing out light bulbs, pretty much everyone is able contribute just a tiny bit.

There isn’t an easy button for this. The scope of the problem is enormous, and solutions are going to vary regionally. It also doesn’t need a one-size fits all solution. Nor do we need to solve every single last detail right now.

The problems increase in complexity when you start to talk about the cost of the solutions. Then add previously invested money in the FF industry. Then try to compete against an industry that is very mature with laws protecting it, with new technology that isn’t mature and doesn’t have the benefit of trillions in previous investment and a half century of work behind it. The new technology is moving more quickly to a cost effective solution then anyone anticipated. It is a big change and hard for most people to wrap their head around the issue, muchless realize how quickly things have changed.

Right now, it is about taking out small chunks, when and where you can make it work for you and helping other people try to make good decisions for themselves. Not everyone has the financial resources to immediately change nor are the current solutions good enough to fit everyone’s needs right now. Hopefully, everyone can find a spot and save a buck or two, or at least be able to justify their decision and be happy with it.

2 Likes