Pelleting charcoal

not as simple as you may think. this furnace has come through a lot of changes in the last few years . it has been around sence the 80s. first as top lit gasifiers. then close coupled chip gasifiers etc. this is just the newest version of chip energys furnace. I have been watching the development closely . the only problem with it is it is a updraft gasifier close coupled to burn the gas in the same chamber which makes it to high for what i am working on BUT GREAT FURNACE.

5 Likes

I have that type switch . I will make surface of switch larger , and try again . I do not have ash removal system . Never had much ash . Guess I am yet to get unit operating . I do remember having clinkers that were rather large .

3 Likes

Pics please. Better to see what you are doing.

1 Like

Large switch plate auger on

auger off 12 volt relay burned out

4 Likes

Strange, you sent the current of the auger through the switch?

Thanks for the pics, should work nice

1 Like

The contractor switches voltage 110 voltage to auger , the 12 volt relay gets 12 volts , the relay triggers contractor

1 Like

Replaced bad relay with good relay from bad circuit board powered with 8 aa batteries

2 Likes

Ok. And chips are for woodgasser?

1 Like

Woodgasser cyclone , mason jar

inside woodgasser wood chips auger and flow switch plate .

4 Likes

3.0L Vortec Base Marine Engine - 140 hp $3,549.00
MECC ALT 20 KW GENERATOR POWER UNIT $1,700.00 as is

Much to muchness I regret buying this
I would suggest not using wood chips , I would suggest not using an auger feed for fuel
chunked wood charcoal is the way to go , poured into lid on top of wood gasser .

I do not have enough wood chips to run unit . just enough to start it and then shut it down .

At this time I will stop working on unit until I have produced enough wood chips to run it .

I am thinking of heat drying wood chips , not charcoal but the heat will change the fuel .

5 Likes

haa henry what were you making a generator for for your home. A 3 litre v 6 engine is not big my montana has a 3.5 litre v 6 and my chev van has a 4 litre I alway thought they were normal small v 6s. 20 kw is a lot of power though need a lot of fuel to run that. have you tryed it on gas first to see how much fuel per hour or day. Years ago i was the mechanic for a generator to run a island it was 18 kw machine . Deizel made by middaughs english tank engine .huge motor 180 hp. but it burned 20 gallons a day. We blew the motor a failed shut of relay. they put in a small V8 around 300 cu.inch It would hardly run the generator and it burnt 35 gallons a day it didnt have the running torque the big tank engine had . the big engine idled the V8 run 3/4 opened.

6 Likes

This is why Im teaming units, easier to bulk feed through multiple units. I will never build another auger feed again in my life!! If I cant funnel the fuel Im not building it :fire:

5 Likes

It is a in line 4 . My total out put is limited to 8 Kw by agreement with power company and grid tie equipment is limited to 8 Kw . generator is 32 kw , package was sold as 20 kw . I am running on 3 cylinders to aid in limiting rpm and fuel consumption . I was just looking for two cylinder water cooled engine spark ignition not diesel . Next years Harley Davidson ?

2 Likes

henry to run a 4 cyinder motor on 3 cylinders will make the motor vibrate a lot as it isnt balanced any more. also the one piston is still working just not giving power pulses. just wasting power. it will also need the fuel opened more so it will burn more gas . is the generator belt driven or direct drive. if it is belt driven change the belt ratio and let the motor go more toward the idle position you will still get the same power but use less throttle save fuel. only a idea. you are right a one cylinder will run a 10 kw generator. I have a freind that has a 10 kw generator that is one cylinder but it runs at 3600 rpm. you should be able to run a 4 cyliner with at least a 3 to 1 ratio maybe even 4 to 1

2 Likes

rebuilt head still had no compression on two cylinders . but it fixed itself . have one cylinder first cylinder removed push rods , rocker arms and spark plug and it is loud but runs well .
It is a direct drive to generator will produce power from 1500 to 1800 rpm three phase 440 volt to 48 volt battery charger , sixteen l 16 Trojan batteries outback radian inverter to grid . Should have off grid , Law requires specially bonded electrician who charges $1000 a day to show up . He was here one day . He brought wrong parts spent much of day traveling back and forth to get right parts . Made sure it was finished one day , not much of system .

2 Likes

so you use a 440 to 48 volt 3 phase transformer to bring down the voltage that is aproxemet. then run the transformer through a full wave rectifier then to the batterys It may be more complicated but something like that. so how fast do you run the motor 1500 to 1800 rpm. sounds interesting. Thats about half throttle.

1 Like

If you had a pellet maker like this thing, you could make a simplified gasifier to convert the fuel to char pellets on one process. Im certain I could build a version of my current reactor to bulk produce pellets. I think It would need to be bigger with more air in feed and a larger restriction. Automated grate will flow the charpellets into a collection bin.

3 Likes

gen head

Charger is off lease , fork lift buyer refused to take it , so I got it cheap .

battery and inverter

3 Likes

Matt, I have seen that one a few years ago. Pelleting green wood? Don’t believe every video you see.

4 Likes

We all wish it was that easy just drop in green wood branches etc. and out comes pellets . If it was that easy i would have a machine tomorrow . but dont you think green wood would plug up the motor valves. as well as all pipes etc. by the way how did it chip up the branches boards and the worse of all the blocks of wood

3 Likes