Plank gasifier

The plank gasifier preheats the primary air around the herarth and the wood in the silo with the exiting gas. The steam from the wood can be condensated in the condensing mantel at the silo mantel.

Drawn by TerryL.

5 Likes

Sorry Max but is this the middle of an ongoing discussion on something? Where do I go to get more information on what this is.TomC

1 Like

Plank gasifier, as the name indicates is a way to save the exiting gas heat inside the barrel for useful purposes; as little as possible to the crows, before the wood has got its part of it!

A little enlargening shows more details. I have not seen any descriptions on it, so the work goes slowly forward thinking on “living” metal in and near all joints…
The double hearth tube will have a smaller firetube in it, and then a still smaller throat with a vertical cage grate movable in accordance with char quality…

It is a beginning discussion with more questions than answeres, as usual.
The more questions, the more thoughts, hopefully.

Planned for 4,3L at 2500 RPM WOT.

Max

d

3 Likes

Max, This is what I did with my first gasifier.
It is a standard GEK, but instead of exiting after the heat exchanger, I ran the WG up around the silo, about halfway up.

1 Like

Hi Tom, this is Max’s latest gasifier design. He’s been talking about it for awhile now, but finally convinced Terry to draw it for him. Thank you Terry for the long hours in Sketchup…

The genius here is putting the hot woodgas back up through the center of the wood hopper (inside the “plank”) to preheat the fuel and drive off moisture, which is condensed as usual on the outer walls.

Seems like a clever design. I’m really looking forward to seeing someone build it.

2 Likes

So the gas goes up the two legs and out from the middle of the “plank”? A kind of pyrolysis improver?

this isn’t what he was talking about for his micra though?

1 Like

Max, This is what I did with my first gasifier.

OK, heating the silo like Imbert GMR and FSD, but halfways. Makes the “stopping” char drier and easier to relight the next time!

Max

1 Like

Hi Tom, this is Max’s latest. Yes, a great thank to TerryL.!
Without his studying of this proposal, we would have a lot less to discuss…

Max

1 Like

So the gas goes up the two legs and out from the middle of the “plank”? A kind of pyrolysis improver?

Yes, that’s the aim. And in the lower end it heats the primary air in the air distribution cylinder around the legs before going down and comming up to the nozzles between the double hearth cylinders.

Max

1 Like

ben pearson’s latest offering from his book uses gas heat to preheat feed stock before pyrolysis.

2 Likes

this isn’t what he was talking about for his micra though?

Absolutely not!

He has just written, that it aims at a 4,3 L at 2,500 RPM WOT

suitable for a Jeep Cherokee?
…

The Nissan Micra (645 kg) needs a hearthless, light gasgenerator!

Max

2 Likes

I see the difference with Max’s design is that it is all contained. That is, no outside surfaces to loose heat to.

I’ll say that with the GEK’s, most of the heat is already off of the gas so it wouldn’t help pyrolising very much. With my lawnmower it was mostly for driving off moisture.

1 Like

I knew which vehicle it was for Max. that question was more about making sure everyone else did too.

Ben’s design has that area insulated with some kind of insulation, where as in Max’s it doesn’t need it, insulation that is.

Max, have you had any experiences with feed stock blockages of any kind with the plank located like that?

2 Likes

I knew which vehicle it was for Max.

There will be insulation: The ashbunker will be insulated up to the air distribution cylinder and the leg openings.
From the air-distribution cylinder-bottom upwards there is char insulating all the way upwards.

As Chris says, we will see who is first…

Max

2 Likes

that would be self insulating… i’m a big fan of that

1 Like

Not to distract from Max’s new concept unit but to explain this feature of BensGift book system . . . .
This is a simplified system to be easy DIY capable, build-able, and up and running soonest with “steady” operating characteristics. He does call that 2nd use of produced gas heater ring a “pyrolisis accelerator”. It is putting heat energy back into the the fuel stack right where the tar ring wants to form. First use of the out of hearth HOT fuel gas is a gas to primary air pre-heater. (rapid cools enough to stabilize the gas too)
He first used this system back on his carbon steel Woody units 2008/09 and the big all SS University models and some of the early all SS Offgridder units.
Yes. Has an encapsulated alumina/ceramic insulation wrapper around this area; as does the lower hearth. Think military “Mickey boots”.
Not shown in the illustration put up is the additional alumina/ceramic insulation outer wrapper then added around the whole thing and welded metal sheet covered. What gave the earlier Woody’s their teardrop outer profiles.
That “magic” sidebox combo is actually doing 4,5,6 beneficial things. Hard to name without limiting.
Regards
Steve Unrun

1 Like

I knew which vehicle it was…

The classic way is to come from the periphery inward toward the center with gadgets, reheat and assembling, fastening. Lots of plates welded to the mantel.

The other way around is to weld almost nothing to the mantel and have the gadgets straight outliftable, even condense mantel and gutter.

Here inlet- and outlet-tube fast outscrewable and then everything loosely outliftable in 10 minutes or less… straight servicable, or inspectable if needed.

Therefore the plank has ready eyebolts!

Max

1 Like

Ahhh. Thank you for that explanation Maxgasman.
Yes. Improved serviceability is a wonderful step forward.
Ha! I think too much we have in the last 35 years taken two steps back for this need.
Regards
Steve Unruh

Thank you Steve, for noting the service exposing by quick lifting of the innards!
The internal heat usage is though the main aim. Giving the crows a disadvantage.

Max

2 Likes