Plasma Cutters

Matt, in regards to the Mosaic you linked, any idea on replacement parts and service?

Yeah Im probably going to pass on that one. I think I would be better off cobbling our Hobart to work for the time being and save up for the Hypertherm. I want to be able to cut our grates with this thing and would like to use a min of 1/4" thick material.

I went down to our weld supply company today and they are having some sort of open house next week. There will be reps there from MIller, Lincoln and Hypertherm. The Hypertherm guys are planning on having a CNC setup so I can this in action.

Oi back at you Jim, I understand but when you need a straight cut it is fast and easy. I own a very nice Plasma Cutter as well but find myself using the saw more.

Hi Matt, I have a powermax and it works great. Just didnā€™t realize that it needs really clean air with out any moisture when I first bought it. They didnā€™t tell me it would work best on bottled air, the repair shop shared that info with me. I now have filters in line to insure clean air dry air. The plasma table looks great I guess we will all be coming over to have stuff cutā€¦ JK

That would be just fine, that would be great to have some fellows over for builds. I might have to put you to work though. :slight_smile:

I would only expect to be albe to work, best way to learn is to do.

CNC table and plasma cutter are on the way!!!

I ended doing a little more research and did not find that any one had any thing good to say about the lightning table. So I went with Eagle Plasma LLC and bought their 4 x 4 table.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CNC-Plasma-Cutting-Table-4-x-4-with-software-Ready-to-run-just-add-torch-/281038597917?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item416f34af1d

I really want this machine up and on line as soon as possible as we are getting busier by the day. After talking with the guy at Eagle and doing a little more research on the Lotos machines I canā€™t find anything bad about them. These are sold through large retail online stores like Sears and Walmart as well. So I cant imagine getting parts for it will be of any problem.

Here is the machine I have ordered, it is the pilot arc version.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=221147768910

Hi Matt
I donā€™t get on much anymore with the family illness but i saw your post
I have a plazma cutter like you posted and i really like it
Mine blew the top board early on but instead of all the shipping i just bought a new board $80.00 or so.
I put an extra heat sink on the control transistor and it seems fine
I sold my cusin one and told him i would put the sink on when it came but it already had one on it so i think they found and fixed the problem
I abuse mine cutting spring bolts and crap but it does fine
I think you will like it
Good luck
Tom

OK I recieved my new toy and put it all together:)

In the background you can see our other machine, we will still need this machine until we can faze it out. If we can faze this machine out I will offer it here for sale. It has the Hobart air force plasma cutter with an automatic turn table. It does a very good job, but is just not fast enough to produce the parts we need.

I think all that is left is getting the PC for it and we are off and running. Ill post some video once its up and running. Once we master this machine I will also offer services to all on this forum for parts made on it.

1 Like

Well if you dont succeed try, try again. Yeah I never did get that thing to work, so this year I started planning and purchasing parts to attempt our own build. Here is the results. For now we are running it with our Hobart Air Force 250. It makes very good cuts but over heating is an issue and its very slow. We are getting a Hypertherm 45 with machine torch and also a torch height control for it as soon as possible. Video will soon follow as soon as it loads from dial up. Ill post as soon as its available.

http://jamclasses.drbanjo.com/static/dimages/006.jpg
http://jamclasses.drbanjo.com/static/dimages/011_0.jpg

I like the new table! I still havenā€™t tried my luck with the Eagle table. Off topic, have you had a chance to review the last vid I sent a few weeks back?

Just sent you an email. Yeah been working day and night on the table. I started building a few weekends ago and stopped for about tow weeks. I picked back up on last Saturday and worked non stop until it started cutting parts.

Here is the video of it in action.

1 Like

Nice! Any plans for a water table?

I had thought about it, but thought of something that might work better. Im thinking of putting panels all the way around it with a pull out tray. This way I could easily remove the drops and empty the slag out.

Nice unit Matt.

Thatā€™s what I have, and like it. Should like it for two grand! : /

Matt
Does the hypertherm machine torch have the ability to run coolant through the torch?

I have no idea, I didnt know this was even an option.

Matt
I donā€™t know if it is a option for that unit. 10 yrs ago I maintained a big esab unit that ran coolant through the torch this was a high production unit. If memory serves me correctly it would cut 3/8 at 140 inches a minute. Wish I still had acess to it cause no way I could afford to buy one