Plasma Cutters

I finally decided to upgrade our CNC machine cutting torch. The Hobart is still a great machine; however, it over heats when used constantly like we are on the table. So we really needed to upgrade but funding was a little short of getting the Hypertherm I want by oh around $1500 bucks lol

So I looked at the Harbor Freight alternative with much reluctance; however, figured I really had nothing to loose. If it didn’t work out I have 90 days to take it back.

When looking at a plasma machine the actual machine is only 50% what makes the machine perform well, the other 50% is the torch. The machine portion is 220 v and works flawless. They did a nice job integrating the regulator inside the machine as well. Now where this machine shines over the other chinese makes is the gun is a knock of off the Italian made gun. S45 Trafimet torch, you can get consumables directly from your local Harbor Freight that do work decent. But you can also get higher quality ones made for the italian made gun that are direct fit. I ordered these and this machine performs very well. I have yet to see the machine overheat and it runs non stop all day long.

http://www.harborfreight.com/240-volt-inverter-plasma-cutter-with-digital-display-60767.html

I’ve never had one before, never ran one before and I’ve been a fab man all my life. I’ve always used a torch or wheel or shear of some sort but l’m ready for a plasma now. I’ve read all of the comments above and still wondering which machine to go with, I don’t need the best, not going to be using it hrs on end, want to be able to cut up to 3/8 anyway, it will be in my shop, not worried about moving it so I want to go with 220 volt.
There hasn’t been any recent posts, has anything changed?
If you were going to buy a new machine tomorrow what kind would you get?

Herb, this is the one I bought 1 1/2 years ago. Works great! I have gone through a lot of consumables until I figured out why. Operator error. I’m sure there are better deals out there. I don’t have anything to compare it to but I give it 5 stars from a rookie.
http://www.harborfreight.com/chicago-electric-welding-systems.html

I’m still using the same Lotos. I’d get it again. It works really well, and if you take care of it it works even better… Dry air and 220v are your friends. Consumables are cheap in bulk. Don’t lay the torch cable anywhere hot… it’s a light rubber.

Worth noting that you can replace the torch with a higher quality one and still save a bunch vs the name brands. I may do that eventually.

What Chris said but I am in the same situation as Bill ( I have nothing to compare it with ) I have been using the Lotos about 6-7 years now .

Hi Herb; I been using a slice 50 I bought off ebay 2yrs have no complaints. Mine has a 19 ft torch, ground is a little short. I bought this one for longer torch, and cheap consumables, it was sold by a weld shop, and tested before shipped. Al

Herb, I have a Hypotherm 380 that I bought off Craigslist. The only thing I don’t like about it is the stiff torch hose that wants to twist in my hand while using. I could replace that part I guess.

But don’t know witch way to go either. I have a buddy with a cheap Eastwood and says it works well on painted and rusted metal. I have another friend with the biggest best brand name everything. the latter says his don’t work on rusty and painted material… I guess like my brother says If you set your standards a little lower you are less likely to be disappointed. I want one to work well always and I as said before dry air is a must, I like the dryers that use rolls of tp as a filter.

I guess I’m leaning toward the Lotus, I couldn’t find one that has it’s own air system, sure would like to have that, does that come on the Lotus machines? The ones shown on Amazon, the first states it needs outside air but the second doesn’t say.

Mine needs air. Most serious units will need it too. It actually uses so much I can’t imagine an internal compressor being able to keep up. It’s a workout for my 2.5 HP compressor.

Ive owned three machines now. One is the Hobart Airforce with on board compressor and believe it, it produces the flow needed. Cut quality is far superior to either of the other units Ive owned, where it only lacks is its duty cycle.

As for the Lotus vs the Harbor Freight, I would go with HF machine over the Lotus. The cut is better and you can simply get consumables from the store rather than ordering them. The cut on the HF machine is OK but higher end machines make much better cuts. So in the end it really depends on what you want, If you just need to cut your metal go with a cheap machine. But if you need precision cuts then the higher end machine are what you want.

My Eastwood works very well they have a 3year warrant. Worked good over 3years Had a H F before didn’t like it returned it. They all need clean dry air.

Matt you had some good things to say about Eastwood but I think you were referring to welders, how about Plasmas? Where do they fall in the “quality” line up? I would like to get a nice clean cut!

Hunter, do you mind commenting on what you like about Eastwood over the HF unit?

I would buy the 70 amp cutters, for another 300.$ you would get more of and industrial machine,the consuables are probbly more , I would have too get a price by phone on the consumables, before i would buy one, the bigger machines are about 750.$ THE bigger machines are not really needed for building gasifiers. other than cutting burn tube or top plates with more dutty cycle,you could cut non stop over 1/8" with the bigger cutters. PS .The better cuters have dual voltage, they strike an ark with out grounding the tip of the plasma cutter, which reck’s the tip over less time. OR they call those machines piolit ark. IF WAYNE CAINT WARE HIS OUT ITS PROBLLY GOOD ENOUGH FOR GASIFIERS. I dought if i would need bigger than chris or waynes machine, not sure what price range they bought though.

PS I never owned a plasma cutter so not sure wich brand too buy.

I cant really give any input on the Eastwood cutters, as I have not owned one. But our welder we abused it daily for two years unit it quit working. Its most likely just a loose wire but we have already replaced it.

The Lotus is a bit cheaper than the HF I think I gave $450.00 for it with free shipping and the HF machine I paid something like $800.00. Either machine will work just fine most needs, but like I mentioned you can get consumables directly from the store. They last much longer than the lotus and are about the same price.

Nothing wronge with the Lotus machines they work too.

I checked Graigslist for plasma cutters in my area and there is an ad for a brand new Lincoln Tomahawk 235 with air for $670, looked it up and it sells new from Lincoln for over 1500, what’s up with that? The ad is a month old, they must have stolen a never ending supply of them or it’s a scam!

IFYOU SEE A GOOD LOOKING DEAL ON CRAIGS LIST, AND ITS STILL THERE/ ITS PROBBLY ALLREADY SOLD MOST OF THE TIME,AND THEY HAVENT TAKEN THE ADD DOWN, ONCE AND AWILE ITS STILL UP BECAUSE SELLER HASENT BEEN HOME TOO ANSWER THE PHONE.IS MY EXPERIANCE. WHATCH OUT FOR LIERS,CRAIGS LIST HAS ITS SHARE OF THEM. I WOULD RATHER VISIT A COUNTRY WELDING SUPPLY SHOP AND SEE WHAT KIND OF WARRENTEE THEY HAVE ON RECONDITION MACHINES.,MAY HAVE TOO CHECK AROUND ON ENTERNET YP FOR ONE IF BUYING USED.

Howdy,
This is a good light weight, VERY portable machine… On board compressor, uses 120 volts. Not for any serious cutting though, gets pretty slow with anything thicker than an 1/8" works great most gasifier stuff… But is very slow at 1/4" flanges etc. pain in the rear.
Overall I’m very happy with it.
If ya have a shop and a compressor… I would go with something bigger.
TerryL
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200336604_200336604
http://www.hobartwelders.com/products/plasma/

I perchased a Everlast Cut50, 3 year warrantee, 220, got to try it out yesterday, I think I’m going to like it just fine!

Thanks to everyone for responding !

Hopeing for a vidio review on those model cuters .Good luck ,hope it cuts a fairly clean strait lines.OR you my have too trade it in on an up size up grade.be nice too see it working good.THANKS