Plasma Cutters

I’m driving myself nuts. I don’t part with my money very easy so I’m researching Plasma Cutters as much as I can. I have read the comments on here and written them down. I’ve gone to Amazon and gotten some information. Then I went to E-bay and I keep coming across “CUT 50”. It appears that CUT 50 makes machines and paints various names on the side such as NOU, Everlast, Ramsond, Aia-rc and others. Ok so I think they are all the same no mater what the name on the side. But then I find that there are CUT50, and 50D and 50R and 50DR and 50F and 50DY and 50DX. I’ve found that some of the units are 220v only, and some have pilot arc, but the others avoid the subject. Every place I go to “CONTACT” for more info, I find the CONTACT is to E-bay about selling policies. I can’t find how to CONTACT the actual seller " USA---------". Any help from others who deal on E-bay?TomC

They all look a lot like the same machine, some are better like you say.I think wayne bought piolit arc type plasma.the reveiws say if it aint piolit arc you have too drag the tip too get arc going. I seen other reveiws that had piolit arc so /small/weak/ that it barely worked in piolit mode too get arc started. EASY TOO BUY AN INFERIER MACHINE< THEN HAVE TOO PAY TOO SHIP IT BACK, Take your time. I would ask wayne more about his, price/piolit arc/ Thase cut 70’s shure look big duty cycle/the consumibles are more exspensive/ I would like too get a cut test before buying one.

Hello Tom and Kevin .

My plasma cutter has no pilot arc. I have to bump the tip on the metal to start the arc.

I have the cheap brand and seems OK for hobby and part time welding but I think if I were using one to make a living I would need one better .

I think I have used mine about 6-7 years .

I looked at so many machines I got a little bit nuts myself, seems like the web sites tell you everything except what you would like to know! I ended up calling local Craigslist ad on this Everlast Cut 50 and it was the distrubitor, the sales guy was helpful and I bought one because he answered questions I had unlike most of the others! Mine does have pilot arc, 220 volt only, 15 ft pos lead, only about 9 ft neg, haven’t used it much, cuts 1/4 plate real nice!
Al F has a cut 50 of some sort, how do you like yours by now Al?

I went through the same thing when I was buying mine. I bought a cut 50 with a 19 ft. Pt-31 torch. the consumables are cheap,and easy to get on ebay.but it is only a 40 amp torch, you can buy a 50 amp, but it takes different consumables. I am very pleased with it. The seller on ebay had a weld shop, and tested them before they were shipped, but I don’t think he has them on there any more. In my research I would say all the cheap imports are pretty much the same, and not to waste money on pilot arc,unless your going to use it one a cnc table. If you have a ebay account, you can go to the bottom of each listing where it says ask a question, and ask if they test before ship, or other questions. hope this helps, I found his web site (Giant Tech) http://plasmametalcutter.com

I did not know either of You had a non piolit arc cutter,I was wondering about how many consuables one would be useing on a build if he cut all his cooling fins for burn tube and heat exchanger,and built the rest of the gasifier stuff.Any Rough estoments.Thanks PS i supose i could get a cheap one if i knew the consumable life spans per bump. be bit easyer than stone wheel cutting.following the line and washing sand out of eye’s later.BBB

On my whole build I used maybe 2 inner pins,( mine are double sided) 2 or 3 cups, and I am still using the same ceramics. But there are a lot of variables, dirty steel, blowing down in side of a hole, water in air supply etc. Al

I spent up about 13 of the 14" cutting wheels so far, though i am building slitely over size burn tube houseing/

Question: can an older non inverter type plasma cutter be fitted with a cheap lotos etc cutting torch if both are rated at the same capacity? These lotos torches and consumables are cheap compared to name brand torches and/or obsolete plasma cutters. Google doesn’t give many answers to this, any ideas?

No idea, but I’d give it a shot. Like you said, the Lotos torch is much cheaper. Take the old one apart and see if it looks roughly the same inside.

I don’t think there’s much to these torches, just an electrode with air gap, and air nozzles to blow the plasma around.

One point I think should be made for those new to plasma, if the ground is good, and the metal clean you really don’t need to touch the tip. I can hold mine about an 1/8’’ from the work hit button arc starts, then keep it from touching, and I think this helps the consumables last longer. Al

As I said I don’t move fast when it comes to spending money. The info on a starting pilot is really helpful. Not a big plus for a machine. Thanks for the web site but I tried to call them to get info on all the different Cut 50 models and their phone has been disconnected. Keep the info coming. Some place we will find out what the different models are. Wayne,Herb and Al, no matter what the name on the side, on the face, do any of yours have a letter after the CUT 40/50

So far I would say CUT 40 220v only Riland CUT 40 has 16ft cable
CUT 50F Pilot start
CUT 50R 220v only
CUT 50DY No pilot

Hello Mr. Tom

Below is a picture of my cutter .

The cutting cable is 9 foot 6 inches long .

Thanks Mr Wayne— I would say that yours may say Mosaic, but it is the same as the Lotos LT5000D and I think the LT5000DP has the pilot start. We’ll figure this out yet. I’m beginning to think that I can’t go wrong on any of them.TomC---------- by the way guys watch the shipping charges on some and the consumables that come with some to make a little better value and of course, I am looking for the longest cabe to work around in my shop.

Didn’t notice the “P” until you asked, I haven’t used it enough to have an opinion about it, it’s got everything I was looking for except its own air, the sales guy said they don’t last anyway, course he was trying to sell me and it worked cause I bought mainly cause I was tried of looking and he was the only human i got to talk to!

Looks about same as waynes and has some piolit arc, Thats my next tool ,soon as posible.

So my investment/bday gift came in the mail a bit earlier than Amazon had guessed.

I still need to find an inline air-drier for the air compressor and figure out which circuits in the shop go to which outlets before I can burn and steel.

Would yous please help me figure out the outlets? There should be a 50A@240V “Range” outlet somewhere, but I’m not sure how to figure that out.

Admin @Chris I can’t seem to upload pictures from my phone. It just keeps saying “Uploading 100%” with the spinning circle forever.

Chrome for Android v. 45.0; Android 5.0.

:EDIT: Sent the pictures to my laptop, and now I don’t have an Upload button… Drag&drop still works…

Hi Brian, under the back cover there should be studs with nuts(2 hots 1 ground) the back cover will have a knock out to run the wire through. Manual should show this. Al

Al: Thanks, but let me rephrase that…

I believe my shop breaker box has a few 220-240v breakers: 1x50A “RANGE”; 1x20A “TABLE SAW”; and 1x30A “WATER HEATER”. I have found 1x 220v outlet so far and I don’t know which it’s wired to.

I would like to make sure I’m plugging into the correct 240v outlets, and make sure they are correctly wired before I even try to power on my machine.

If I am following you correctly,Any 220, or 240(40 or 50 amp) outlet should be ok as long as as it is wired to match your plug on the plasma cutter. If you have a meter you can determine how the outlet is wired, both leads in hot= 220/240 one lead in hot one in ground =110/120

2 Likes