Potatoes grown organically

We used to eat the beat tops. I don’t remember what they tasted like. all greens were gross to me then. Beet greens, swiss chard, spinach. Yuck to a kid.

2 Likes

Beet greens are great, you should try them again, probably like them. Doesn’t take long to cook them, a few minutes in boiling water, then season with salt pepper and butter, maybe add some minced garlic when throwing them in the pot…

I figure beet gteens are better than chard, more flavour.

2 Likes

one of my favorites. but I like them all.pretty much. even poke

1 Like

Pickled beets, my favorite!

2 Likes

Some say plant what thrives in your area, otherwise just a hobby food.

Since they are a mountain plant I do like the wildish strange blue one. Don’t look like potatoes but taste much better than the modern ones, for me that is.

I’ve thought about colloidal copper, easy to make, but your trying to avoid that. At the top of a roof ridge copper sheeting was placed and that was reported to stop roof mold or what ever. It was reported that a silver coin placed in milk kept it from going bad, maybe BS. Maybe a copper pipe plus a rain water catch that sprinkles on top of Mr. Potato.

Always harder to pump water up hill.

1 Like

To me beet greens taste just like the beets. Swiss chard taste very earthy some people say like dirt and don’t like them. Thinning beets is a good day here because we love the greens.
Swiss chard stems are a great celery substitute. I freeze them for the winter.

2 Likes

I don’t know about milk, but we have used silver and copper coins (and copper tubing) to keep cistern-stored rain water from becoming un-potable…I’ve only done it in drier, almost desert climates, not tropical…worked well…noone got sick anyway. Never did any real studies/tests on it. Did not produce mosquito larvae like other containers in the area did…

A missionary friend of mine in Australia does the same thing in their water tanks. Pretty much all Australian water is caught rain water,…as far as I understand it…Not sure about everywhere, it’s a big place…

3 Likes

While it may work(I didn’t look it up, and the potential is there for it to work), I would be very careful with copper.

Silver can cause some things but it looks like soluable forms are more active.

1 Like

The spearmint/clove/rosemary oils combos is working o.k on the garbage can potatoes as long as I refresh it every 4 days or so.
Getting so favorable looking, and now blossoming close on the in-the-ground potatoes that I have now sprayed them with a new to me Neem-oil spray as a preventative.

We will see at the digging up time.
J-I-C Steve unruh

5 Likes

Missed this on the first trip around. For my 2 cents, I prefer swiss chard to spinach any day, takes the heat (spinach likes it cool and doesn’t do well in heat). Swiss chard is a spring to frost green.

2 Likes

I would do beets over Swiss chard, especially sugar beets, or the yellow or red fodder beets, greens and root to eat.

1 Like

I don’t have great luck with beets. I’m moving to a sunnier location and sweeter soil. I like cooked beets, but pickled is my favorite. I will try the greens this time around.

2 Likes

Where chard will grow, beets should as well. If there’s not enough sun the roots may not be as big.

2 Likes

Love them beets. can’t grown spinach here accept the malabar kind. Kinda puts one in mind of boiled okra.

1 Like