Pre-heating the Charcoal/feedstock with exhaust gasses

The idea of Marco triggered my brain to wake up.
Can i pre-heat or combust the charcoal, up to what level ?
If i put the reactor virtual direct on the exhaust of a small engine and follow a few more steps as mentioned…
Must have some results.
I did see promising results in his video “edit, video is removed from youtube”
I think we have to ask Marco personally for that
Lets build some…

Koen, Your link gives me 404 not found.

i just checked, video is removed from Youtube…

Hi Koen, I’ve been thinking about that drawing Marco put up and see you are doing the same. My thought is hot engine exhaust will contain nitrogen, carbon dioxide, water vapor and some carbon monoxide. There should be little if any oxygen. If this exhaust gets the charcoal up to a bright cherry red, then some of the carbon dioxide and water vapor will react to form more carbon monoxide, hydrogen and maybe a touch of methane. If this happens, then you will need a way to get these gases back into the engine (after filtering it). But you can only use a portion of the exhaust gas, most of which must be vented to prevent back pressure and shutting the engine down. This all hinges on whether the engine exhaust is hot enough and my gut feeling is it is not. I’ve never seen an exhaust manifold glowing a bright cherry red. A dull red in dim light, yes but that is not hot enough for cracking CO and H2O.
Now, if you could inject some oxygen into the exhaust stream to react with the charcoal and in sufficient amounts, then the charcoal will get hot enough. But this is what we are doing in the charcoal gasifiers now. That is why I’ve just gone to putting some of the exhaust gases back into the charcoal gasifier air inlet. I’ll be anxious to see what you come up with.
Gary gassing away in PA

I’m sorry guys, but what am I missing? What he has drawn is just what Mr. Gilmore has used to “cool” the oxidation zone. If the exhaust gas comes straight out of the cylinder as “flame” I still don’t see it changing the carbon. Maybe crystallize it into a glass. And you aren’t going to run an engine with the exhaust valve open. What is it that you think you might be seeing??TomC

What i see in the idea:
apply sufficient heat to the carbon and it will turn into gas
C + Heat = Co
Goal of the experiment = use the wasted exhaust heat to produce charcoal gas
As far as Gary G mentioned, and i second that, it needs enough heat to do the job.
I have been playing with HHO and plasma arch already, so i will try to heat the exhaust gas the moment before it enters the charcoal.
I follow the thinking of Gary G that the exhaust will not produce enough heat, so it surely will not crystalize the charcoal
Blowing it out the reactor might happen
Oh well, i can change my name into Carbon Buster

Hi Koen. I am in an area that I admit I know nothing about. My first question was if you “add sufficient heat to carbon it will turn to a gas C + heat = Co” Did you mean CO? Where did the “O” come from to make this reaction? I looked this up a little and it says that Carbon will sublimate at something like 7,000 F. What is the equation for carbon gas? The sublimation process is an endothermic reaction so it is going to require a “ton” of energy to keep the temperature in this zone. Will a “plasma arc” create the required heat— but where dose the energy come from for this “plasma arc”.

I apologize for commenting about this but I do like to learn from others, but also I am a “do it” type guy and this whole thing sounds to me like “pie in the sky” type thinking

No need for apologizing. I am a do it person to, i only believe things what i can replicate by myself
As you might have seen in my experiment with Hydrogen-plasma and Co2 and surely with my endeavors with charcoal gasifying.
I base my experiments on old school books, the knowledge they had those days
As far as Carbon goes , Destructive distillation starts at 650°C, sublimation at 4000° C
Charcoal is never 100% carbon, some O is bounded with the C already
So, put charcoal in a retort and look what the fumes do, is old experiments
Blowing super heated steam trough coal, gives Co + H2
High temperature air does the same
Heated Co2 does the same
This is old stuff and now i will try to superheat the Exhaust gasses with a little help from a HHO burner and i will see what it becomes
If a engine can run on the gas, great
This time i spare the numbers, just put the charcoal retort on the exhaust and blow the heat thru the charcoal :-p
After that, i will figure out what went wrong
Carbon busters on the road

hi koen
did you think of the pantone to enhance the energy potential of glowing gas before recycling them into a gasifier?

You mean the Geet reactor?
No, i want to build something that actually works if you build it

c is my intention soon!
I understand that you do not believe in pantone geek?

I try to believe in working things,
as a scientist, i believe only if the results are verifiable and replicatable

nowwhere i found facts or numbers about a geek reactor thats actual working as stated

anyhow, here we are working with charcoal gasifiers and make the cranckshaft turning

can’t wait to see results

using glowing charcoal as a catalyzer

how accounts you overheat the reactor with this setup?

The normal exhaust gas temperature is between 600°C and 900°C, i will increase the heat with an HHO torch up to 1300°C and blow that into the charcoal.
Just need to figure out the perfect place to inject the HHO
Looking for some ceramic tubes to do so

for which reason the hopper so high?

To keep the gas temperature low at exit ( 40°C )
The descending feedstock will absorb the temperature from ascending gas
I have to keep a layer of charcoal, about 60-70 cm above the nozzle.

thank you for your generosity koen.
the reduction of co2 in one burning coal bed seem to me very sense.le challenge will be heated to more economical. the gasifier insulation and recycling calories is how prioritaire.Mais enhance themperature 1300 celsius without the use of external energy. c is the real challenge!
good night…
thierry

the exhaust gases must they go at high speed in coal (+ 25m / s) as for air?
they do not take part has the elevation of the temperature of the reactor.

Koen, as you know I’m working on HHO for some years but if you want use charcoal as fuel the good way is use ionized steam H3O+.
This for safety and for save some moneys and electrical energy. Don’t forget that HHO can be very dangerous and consume a lot of energy.
Ionized steam is the future solution, not dangerous and can be produced directly by heat without an electrical source.