Quenching char for fuel

Do these have tight lids, or are they open? The problems I had were from storing the char in paper or woven plastic sacks. Exposed to the damp air, they sucked up a lot of moisture. Once I switched to using closed containers, the moisture problem went away.

2 Likes

They do have lids , you know the type with tabs around the edge i just bang the lid on but never push the tabs over as it makes them almost impossible to re open once the charcoal has cooled off .
I don’t keep much charcoal ground up in reserve , i sort of make it on demand these days .
Dave

2 Likes

I mentioned somewhere recently that I store my charcoal in plastic garbage bags with twist ties, usually stuffed in a sack or bag which is not air tight for support. It increases the cost of consumables, but does keep the charcoal dry.

4 Likes

I need to make better charcoal . Make charcoal then give it huge blast of air and quench it .
So I can do this . I can try it once . Need a new pair of socks , would make sense to clean tar out of pipes , but who does that ?

1 Like