Retaining energy for generator from retort

Amen. I think that most if not all of us here are mainly interested in energy independence. Not having to be totally dependent on someone else for electricity or motor fuel. Wood and it’s by products are our best option. Can be converted to various energy uses by most people and is totally renewable. Solar is great if you have sun and if you could build your own panels and electronics. If not, you are still dependent.

4 Likes

Dustless charcoal grinding is easyest thing on earth. Invest your time in a downdraft charcoal gasifier. Add 20% water to the feedstock charcoal. Grind. Enjoy. With clean lungs, shirt and face :wink:

8 Likes

Why are you advising a downdraft charcoal gasifier than a crossdraft gasifier?

1 Like

Hi Vladislav. You share your name with my wifes father. Rare name here. Always nice to see more people here from the East!

Because only a downdraft alows full cracking of any gas that is produced above the reaction zone. Moisture, tar…

4 Likes
2 Likes

Hi Kristijan.
We speak about charcoal gasifier.
Coal is tar free.

1 Like

It never is 100% tar free. When l drove my Mercedes on charcoal l made my own charcoal in a big 2m3 kiln. It made percect charcoal yet with a updraft l occasionaly had problems. You miss a litle undercooked peace of charcoal, a twig falls in your fuel, children throw something in a sack of charcoal… with a updraft this all converts to tar and gets stuck in your engine. Happened to me twice but luckly it first clogged the felt filter.

Aditional advantige of a downdraft is you can intentionaly moist the charcoal with 20% water. This way it produces no dust when grinding and handling and it lowers the heat of burning a bit, plus adds valuable hydrogen to the gas.

9 Likes

Kristijan, also it give us the opportunity to add a little raw wood, like sawdust with no problems of tar making it through the inferno lobe and the reduction hot zone and grate. Added power. The down draft charcoal gasifer is a great design. One of the best parts, you do not have to worry about trying to keep your charcoal dry.
Bob

7 Likes