Saman's gasifier project

I use torches so much that I do not pay attention of the color but I bet if you light a cutting torch and watch the flame it just might change color as you increase the O2. Starved for O2 and sooth might form and glow changing the color but yet the same gas. Different air to fuel ratio, different flow rates etc.

2 Likes

Hello Saman
Maybe you could tell us the statement from your Thesis?
What finding/truth are you putting in writing, needing defending?
This is the challenge you have with papers for degrees people.

You have said needing to make producer gas for compressing. For storage? For later heating fuel substitute uses like flame heaters?
The needs for these are very much different than internal combustion engine fuels.
Heating fuels for cooking especial must not transfer unsavory flavors over into the food, or the cooks working area. Why “clean”, “clean” fuels are favored for foods cooking. Even liquid gasoline fuels stove use a very special grade of purified gasoline. Put regular engine gasoline in a cooking stove and stink! stink! stink!
Space heating fuels not so critical for not-pure-blue flame. The not under pressure combustion products are carefully duct-ed outside away from people.

Motor grade fuels as an example are stinky, staining, actually hazardous for breathing and skin contact. They NEED the higher energy density as well as satisfying the engines needs to controllable speed/flame-front combust under pressure.
The ONLY way to judge internal combustion motor grade fuels in-use by combustion color is viewing it while under pressure/temperature loaded conditions in a working engine. This is done with special engines with view-ports. And this is done with special quartz glass center spark plugs.

The historical papers and readings Tom Collins and I have referred to will say there was even a different need for light illuminating producer gases. Heat unwanted byproduct to illumination. So not the high energy density needs. Needed to have available free carbons to burn and yellow glow for the illumination.

Yes too many words by me.
Summery.
Different fuel, or HC input stocks gases are need for different downstream uses.
No ONE gas can satisfy all needs.
Blue flares are cooking gas flares.

You approach by making the best gas for a single purpose need. Using the raw input stocks best to satisfy that ONE need optimally. With sub-optimal results for other use/needs.
Or . . . . you have a free-waste input stock and make the best you can make with that. THEN narrow down the use/needs to what you can make from this free-waste input stock produced gasses mix.

I hope this makes sense to you.
This is how the real world works to get things done.

You would not want to walk in my boots. Heavy rubber with thick wool liners. For COLD, freezing wet mud’s.
Your feet would overh heat and sweat.
Wearing your boots my feet would always be wet and cold.
Producer gasses (and thier open combustion flames) come in many best0use variations.

Regards
Tree-farmer steve unruh

3 Likes

Hello mr Tom Collins
I will definitely use your advice.about (GENERATOR GAS The Swedish Experience -Gas 1939-1945)
i have started to read from yesterday.
in page4 line 20 you can see this sentence: (The limousine shown on the cover was initially intended for the Shah of Iran, but when the Shah died, Harry purchased it to demonstrate gasification at Eastern Universities and lecture on alternate energy).Maybe I can borrow it on behalf of Iran :wink:

5 Likes

Yes it can be possible.but the use of pure oxygen is not economic

1 Like

Hello Mr SteveUnruh
good time.
Thank you for your guidance.
My goal in the thesis is to show the values of thermal value and system efficiency.With different fuels including compost mushrooms
My goal is to compress gas was to carry it to the laboratory.But I found special bag for carry the gas to lab and I do not need to compressor for now.
Thank you so much :blossom::blossom::blossom::blossom::blossom:

4 Likes

Who is Harry?

Thierry

One of the founders of the gasifier industry.(1939)

Saman, thanks for the information

excuse my lack of culture

Thierry

I think maybe “Harry” was Mr Le Fontaine? Actually a Danish-American naturalized citizen who adopted his wife’s name.
He initially learned gasification in occupied Denmark WWII as a slave laborer.
Later life in America post-1974 he made up a trailer mounted woodgas system for his hot-rod modified large engine V-8 Lincoln sedan and toured around to US Universities promoting Producer Gas as a viable alternative motor fuel.
Major author contributor to the “Producer Gas: Another Fuel for Motor Transportation” publication. ISBN 1-4102-1605-5

S.U.

5 Likes

Article in the library on Harry La Fontaine: Library / LaFontaine Article | Drive On Wood!

3 Likes

Hi, Kristijan!
Ref. mess 136

Yes, he did put the cone outline measures following your instructions, but there it seems to have ended!
You did instruct in the beginning to use at least two opposite nozzles, and later in the photos he had used 5.

Later, it seems, that he has payed no attention to the coarse rule I gave for a hearth of that estimated size.

If a highschool student does not calculate the area of a circle = a nozzle hole and multiply it with the count of nozzle-tips, how can he then calculate the ratio between the restriction area and the sum of nozzles area???

Throwing bits together like “over the shoulder” paying seemingly no attention to measures given, keeps me “out of those waters”.
Not even later providing any kind of measures, makes correcting instructions invalid.

The soot content of lightly filtered gas is mostly orange-reddish. Tar content tints it toward yellow…

Still, undiluted gas usually starts off a pipe-end with a little bit of blue. In this case shown, the outlet was ejected with pressurized air and diluted…

1 Like

I first advised him to change the existing gasifier to get best possible gas out of it, but allso advised, if possible, study and build a new gasifier. He asked me if l culd draw a plan for a simple basic downdraft gasifier on pm and l did. He allso folowed the advice given by TomC (and others includeing me) on reading trugh the generous library on this site.
As Saman sayd above, he did made a entirely new gasifier based on the basic lmbert plan l gave him, 5 nozzle 5 cm restriction, for experimenting and defending his theais, after wich he plans to make a “real” gasifier to power a bigger plant, and l think he and we all know that will be impossible without extensive research and reading tons of books and experimenting.
I see no problems in guideing people with drawn plans and similar advices, as long as they show interest. If there wuldnt be generous people from this wery site that helped and guided me l wuld still be lost in the dark, trying to power a 50ccm engine with a restrictionless 5" gasifier.

3 Likes

Hi, Kristijan!

I am glad that you have had some response to your effort! I hope it ends up with success!

1 Like

Hi Mr Max Gasman
Do you mean I am a lazy student? :disappointed_relieved::disappointed_relieved::sob::sob:

Hi, Saman!
I have no idea of how industrious you are; it just seemed that the nozzles were not a result of regular calculations… at least not in line with my recommendations.

2 Likes

I will repair it sir

Hi every body
i am busy with my new(3th) gasifier with best design.I have not forgotten you :wink: :relaxed:
i come back :blossom::blossom::blossom::blossom::blossom:

8 Likes