Saman's gasifier project

What is the problem?

1 Like

Saman, I guess you’re close to hook things up to an engine.
Watch out for tar. Your flame looks a little on the orange/red side. I saw some liquid in the bottle under the cyclone. Is that tar or only sooty water?
Best recipe to avoid tar is to use only dry woodchunks. The drier the better. Stay away from that small stuff. Bigger chunks (to a point) will run hotter, which will burn the tar.

4 Likes

Hi, Saman!

In order to blast up the hearth temperature, the nozzle tips (explicit) , not the nozzle tubes! should have a common (all together) flow area of ~3% of the restriction area.

This will to some extent overcome the heatgulping water in the fuel.

If you make the nozzle-tips exchangeable, ie. nipples and hats, you can make “families” of hats with a different hole diameter in each family.

This way you can find the right initial temperature for a successful gasification.

But use only REALLY dry fuel!

Seeing from the flame length, you are pushing the gasifier in an overload mode.

This is one way of trying to rise the heart temperature by “force”, and that will push part of the oxidation process beyond the restriction.

By finding the right (small enough) holes in a “hat-family” you can decrease the total air-push to a normal level, so the reduction can start at the restriction.

And lower air pressure.

Another suspicion: Is the reduction charcoal REALLY totally “gased-out” blacksmith quality, and not just barbeque carcoal?

If you use barbeque quality, you will never get clean tarfree gas.

8 Likes

mashroom compost,i want to test mashroom compost waste

Hi jan
yes i agree with you about wood chunks.
Both bottles contain tar

Hello Mr Max Gasman
Thank you for your guidance
I want to analyse my temperature with thermometer,because we have many variable components.(wood,nuzzle,restriction area,etc)
in first video i have used from Wood powder :see_no_evil:

My future plans are Install about 5 thermometers at 5 different system points. for test
And installing a power generator.What kind of generator do you recommend?

1 Like

Hi, Saman!

The very long torch flame with NO part blue at all! Not even in the root!

It has a foggy core!

Is it air-ejector driven, in the video a typical air hose is attatched to the rising tube of the torch?

Have you pressure – leak tested your air mantel between the nozzle tubes and the inlet for pressurized air?

(your video shows an air pressure and air valve attatched to the top of the silo!)
Tested?

This could burn part of the gas around the airmantel… if it leaks.
Both with overpressure and underpressure! In fact, this mantel has always overpressure compared to the surrounding mantel…

If you have large nozzle tubes without outer threads for screwing on hats,
you can plug in copper tube-bits, less than 2X the diameter long.

Don’t plug in them completely, so you can “wrench” them out and change them for another hole diameter!

Once more: Floppy air beams with too large air-flow will just push the oxidation process down into the designated reduction area!

You will not reach the “white-glow” temperatures just before the restriction…

By the way, have you filled the reduction area well abowe the restriction plane in the big cylinder with clean charcoal?

If not, do it straight away!

6 Likes

I don’t know much about different brands. For a first try, use any cheap/old engine you can afford to ruin. When you have things tuned in you can upgrade.

3 Likes

2 Likes

Hi, Saman!

Nice pictures! But no measures.

Discussion of properties and behavior is impossible without measures of flow diameters and consequent flow areas.

How can you estimate a velocity without a flow and a flow area?

To get a process volume the “body” height is also essential…

A known motor running WOT at a known RPM is the ruling measure which is

setting ALL the measures for a gasifier construction.

Harsh, but unevitable… ?

All else is guesstimating?

Cut and try is a long way.

2 Likes

Thank you mr Gasman
I repair it and i try until blue flare :relaxed:

I have a question:
Is it possible to reach a completely blue flame?
It’s impossible without a catalyst?
How did this video get to the blue flame? What parameters did it take?

From my understanding, colors are not important. What is important is to have engine grade fuel. I do believe you have that. In my opinion, you already have a better gasifier than the one that is in the video you posted. I am very impressed of how you’re already advanced. Keep up with what you are doing and pay no attention to what you find on Youtube. You have the best people in the world advising you. Take their suggestions to heart and apply the knowledge you desire.
If I was in your shoes, I would be hooking your unit to an engine. Once that engine is running on wood gas, you won’t be able to contain your excitement.

6 Likes

Hi Mr Bill Schiller
You gave me so much energy with this text.I believe in each individual in this group.
all of you are the best
I will definitely do this.(hooking my unit to an engine).but i have to do some thermodynamic and chemical test until my thesis defens.
after that i will do everything.
Thank you so much

2 Likes

What Bill sayd.

Yes, perfectly blue flame is possible, but beweare! Pure blue color does NOT mean perfect gas in terms of caloric value/flame speed. The real energetic gases like hydrogen and methane colour the flame kind of orange, but different from “tarry orange”.

Max, l am not sure if Saman followed my skizz exactly, but he did post the skiz with measurements a few posts back.

2 Likes

Hello Saman,

The Below video shows motor grade gas burning at night.

It is hard to see in bright day light but at night it shows well.

5 Likes

Hi mr wayne
This is really big gasifier festival :blush:
But in your video you have a blue flair in 1:22 time.
Is that diffrent system?

Saman; I repeat myself, as I understand this is for a “paper” for an advanced degree and a “proof of actual use” demonstration. For the true purpose of this project you should do as I suggested in post 111. At the risk of being accused of putting words in Max’s post, he is willing to help with the same calculations. ALL calculations start with the size of the engine and RPM it will be turning. Decide on that and give Max that information and as he has done for others, will look at your skizz and check for modifications based on known calculations. TomC

2 Likes

Yes it is a different gasifier design than most at the event. It is a MEN ( Mother Earth News ) design .

It is mounted on a farm tractor and was just getting started. It may have changed colors after warming some .

1 Like