Screw Wood Chunker?

after reading the comments. He is using 12mm(0.472441") x 250mm (9.84252") blade on an 80mm (3.14961") shaft. And because he said he had to hammer the blades out some, and they are now uneven. it makes me think it is only welded on at the ends since it is just a prototype. And I think he means he changed the angle from 15 to about 35 degree when he did that. The tractor is a Universal 445 with 42hp (claimed) at the 540 pto.

4 Likes

That is my next project!

I made one that I would call a sort of “Lopper” like for pruning trees. It will do 3" dry cherry with no problem but it was more of a firewood/log type thing. Not a chipper.

In my opinion, you are on the right track.

For me, the auger has been the biggest challenge. Looks like there is math involved and all kinds of stuff.

Best of luck!

Ben

3 Likes

Sounds cool, do you have any pictures or video?

2 Likes

The math isn’t that hard. The old carpenters that used to make spiral staircases and handrails worked it out for us. Handrail radius calculation.

Rindert

6 Likes

Thanks Rindert, but what if the isnt a cylinder but a cone? More like tha Laimet?

2 Likes

The mental picture behind the calculations, in both cases, is a right triangle that has been unwrapped from its basic shape. Whether it is a cylinder or a cone you can use this to determine the arcs you will have to cut. Determine the length of the hypotenuse. This will also be the arc length. Since this will represent 360° of rotation you can determine the radius.
I recommend making cardboard models before cutting metal.
Rindert

10 Likes

Thanks Rindert. Gonna use it some day. Faster then 3d drawing. Paper is for women. We never make mistakes :grinning:

3 Likes

My wife likes paper Joep. She also likes plastic, gold, silver. She’d probably like crypto but we are too dumb to understand it.

5 Likes

Wives are the same :smiley:. All over the world. Men too, btw. The first time my son and me put a closet together, he was only six. And as soon as het saw me reading the paper, he threw it away. We dont need that, he said. :grinning:

But since som 17 year old girl at the helpdesk told me what I did wrong, in a full store, I always read the manual. It wont happen again :joy:

5 Likes

But, for a client I had to repair the ashes augher. He didnt like the stock ones in my shop. No 3 mm blades but 10 mm. It apeared my auger supplier sells single blades. And the screw chunker works with a central cylinder, not necessary a cone. I am sure it is sold on the other site of the pond too.

3 Likes

Just another screw chunker, but nicely tinkered and very compact

11 Likes

any guesses on how long the steel tube is? the only dimensions he gave was 150mm for the initial auger flutes, which is 5.9".

3 Likes

I would say no more than double of that length

5 Likes

Here is a complete build video of a screw chunker which is a whole hour video.

9 Likes

Apparently you can buy a pto mounted version.

If google translated it right it is 500 usd.

10 Likes

Freight shipping from Ukraine to United States would be insane I bet.

4 Likes

Great find SeanO’
Skip to minute 52:00 to see it work.
He’s got it set up just right for speed and bits size made.
It really eats up the spread out, branchy stuff.
Regards
Steve Unruh

7 Likes

no idea. I would guess 500 bucks, if they can even ship it this far. Then I have no idea about European PTO sizes/speeds, 3pt connections and such. I personally would feel safer with at least a 2:1 reduction in speed.

6 Likes

nice to see action here…

16 Likes

About 60rpm, and a fairly small motor which didn’t seem like it was struggling at all.

8 Likes