Scrounging parts

I have heard people talk about scrounging parts for builds but not about networking off sight. I expect most members are like me, if I have acquired something for possible future use but you need one now I would give it to you, which is not practical for most members because of distance. However I frequently actively source materials from other dyi/sort of hoarders who are local and vice versa. Today a friend brought me four plastic storage barrels that he scored for free after I mentioned barrels specifically to him 3 months or more ago. Most people have too much stuff but don’t want to throw it away and are ecstatic when they find a home for it. I also go out of my way to acquire something with another person in mind to build up a bit of goodwill credit or pay back an exiting favour, not that we ever keep close track. A very long way to say plan ahead and ask around, what you need may be looking for a new home.

10 Likes

You go ahead and justify you hoarding problem any way that you want. LOL
Okay, just joking. I’m the worst at it. You know you have a hoarding problem when you refer to the local landfill as “The Hillside Market”.
I always pick up good steel, in most any shape or size. I have a co-worker that I will pick up lumber for to build sheds.
I generally swing by the lawn mower section to see what’s new and pick up a couple a year, some of them have needed nothing but gas. I got a riding mower that needed the carb cleaned and still runs fine.
If shipping were cheaper a “beg, borrow and swap” section would be neat.

2 Likes

Wyatt and I share a dump or “the local Walmart” as I call it. He is much better connected then me though.

2 Likes

Amazing what people throw out but there is that much or more stuff being stored because it is too good to throw out and those things are generally offered free if the owner finds out you can use said item. This is why letting your like minded social contacts know you are looking for something, or a category of something, is so important.

4 Likes

It’s good to have friends in low places!
I think metal scrappers are almost criminal in the things they haul off to the scrap yard for a few pennies a pound.
I once had to good fortune to intercept nearly a whole sheet worth of 1/4" steel plate, cut into slightly irregular squares of about 16". I gave them $20 for all of them. They probably would have got. $ 2 - 5 for it at the scrap yard.

4 Likes

Scrap yards are like liquidation outlets, you need to visit regularly to see what just came in.

5 Likes