Sergey Lagunov gasogenerators

I have found Sergey Lagunov and his generators https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Es4CWpKZkoA
What do you think? He says that his devices can work indefinitely (fire and forget) with wet wood, combination of wood and plastic etc…

4 Likes

Yes, he is real :grinning: Very active on Telegram. You will probably understand what is said there.
But fire and forget? That is the holy grale we are all looking for. At least the newbies.

3 Likes

Yes, talked to some dutch guy overthere that did this, but do you really want to burn plastics? Tempting, every year less waste overhere, only plastics is growing.

3 Likes

Hard Wood is by far the best thing you can burn in a woodgasifier. We here at DOW have a true saying. 25% is the building of the gasifier correctly, and the other 75% is knowing how to run a gasifier that you have built.
Burning Plastic? You might as well burn gasoline, they both will pollute, the plastics a little more and it can make bad gases. I would stay with wood products.
Sergey Legunov has not proven to me with all of the videos he has made that he has the best gasifier out there. He is always looking for people to invest in what he is doing.
I do enjoy all the old gasifier footage he has posted. I Liked the short video he did of the DOW Wood Gas Meet in Argos IN.

5 Likes

With enough filtration anyting is possible. lol I dont think that gasifier is anything speacial just that he has like eight 55 gallon drum filters there. So yeah he cooling the gas down very well and then the tar will drop. But man I would hate to have to service that filter system. YUK!!

5 Likes

I have to ask myself where is that kind of filter placed in his trunk of his car next to his gasifier, that the hopper does not go through the trunk lid. He does show blocks of wood going into the hopper. The rest of the gasifier must be going through the floor of the trunk to even get some height of the hopper and firetube, and ash area below.

3 Likes

Hello Veljiko,
I re-watched SergeyL’s video that you put up.
My comments at first are related to that.
First he does not say wet wood. He says for this videoed pine wood chips 20% moisture by weight wood chips. Then he does say if plastics were mixed in then maybe 25% moisture by weight. This actually is a somewhat pre-dried wood. As live cut most trees will be ~40% by weight moisture. Cut, died, on the ground laying, most trees and woods will rains and snows absorb even more moisture. Get up to 60% by weight. Impossible to gasify.

Second in this video system he says that this particular engine generator shown is manufacture recommended on gasoline, to be only be ran heavily electrical loaded for six hours at a time. He then says with woodgas as the fuel that loaded running time can be doubled. So 12 hours. And that would be possible on this system with an upwards fuel extension. No saying, indefinitely.

SergeyL. is a designer, and builder, and promoter of many different kinds of gasification units. Units for different purposes, and circumstances.

His in his truck car system for example is for sure a pre-made wood charcoal system. This shows refueling from sacks out of a storage building. He does say maybe a small % could be mixed in raw wood. As ALL doing this find this is after the system is fully warmed up and being loaded worked.

He designs and promotes for the whole range of “gasification” as able to be done in places with end of the line wastes problems like rubber tires. Places without University employed geeks who WILL be collecting and analyzing exhuast down to parts per billion. The intent to shut down any usages. Here were I live. Circumstances most here on the DOW must live and accept. Emissions laws. Regulations. Fuel inputs restrictions too.

So Veljko: no magic to SergeyL’s systems and system ideas. Pretty much hard science and maths. He is probably the most wide read here. A diligent researcher. A great historian.

Gasification, and the sub-pursuits of raw wood gasification and charcoal gasification for IC engine fuels are Hard Mistresses to master.
Easy is buying out others denser purified, made specification engine fuels.
So ANY who do promote systems freeing from this energy slavery have my deep respect.

Steve unruh

11 Likes

I am new to woodgas but I find it interesting that first,his system doesn’t need electronic carburetor, and two can be reloaded during operation. I am familiar just with Ben Peterson design which needs carburetor and must be closed during operation.

btw, are there some gensets that don’t need electronic carburetor?

2 Likes

The second first.
Direct current generator sets do not have to be Nazi lock-stepped RPM controlled. They do not even have to be specific power restricted. Any RPM above their cut-in minimums, will produce net electrical power. That power can be externally converted to cycles and voltage regulated AC power. External inverters. Usually with some type of battery buffer.
These DC units can be commercially made units. Or a Chinese air-cooled single cylinder engine belted and spinning a car to truck alternator.

The other not needing electronic gas-air mixer controlling are the newer IC engine Inverter-Generator units. They are variable speeds and loads units too. The electronics to do this all on-board. I now have three of these units in different sizes. A Honda. A Yamaha. A Chinese unit.
Dave in Australia charcoal gasifies these as his winter season PV solar fill-in systems. No electronic mixers needed.
His. And his usages of them are true set-up; stabilize: then walk alway; and let run until out of fuel.
S.U.

8 Likes

Hi Veljko, You have an interesting question, and hopefully I can shed some light on it… All gasifiers can be made to be “reloaded,” or continuous. However, there are some considerations and caveats.

First, it’s incredibly important to understand that after reduction, you have a flammable gas, and mixing any level of oxygen after that point in the system creates a potentially dangerous and explosive situation. Ideally, you want to mix ambient air with your syngas as close to the engine as possible (carburation)—whether that’s with an electronic carburetor, or a ball valve.

With that understanding, the next step is understanding variations in gasifier system designs. Most of these designs could be made to be “continuous” with a clever arrangement of feed augers and/or ash removal mechanisms. The downsides of such mechanisms is cost. DOW members are largely enthusiasts that love the science, love their energy autonomy, and need their systems to fit their particular needs. Most of the time, “batch” runs are all that is required, and thus sizing your hopper and energy needs becomes the main objective. i.e. Able to run long enough in a certain scenario.

Again, the system design itself is what dictates how you might go about making a batch unit into a continuous one. Something needs to clear out spent feedstock, which larger consists of ash, small bits of charcoal, and slag. For instance, this could be an auger that lives below you grate. Similarly, you’d need a feed delivery system that would keep your system “topped off.” Again, some kind of conveyor or auger system would suffice. Keeping the two in sync becomes the balancing act, and could be accomplished with automation (expensive), or by feel (sight glass observation, hand-cranked mechanisms, etc.)

Back to the earlier point of not mixing air with syngas… The best example I can think of, where this risk of explosion is mitigated and practical would be with an open-top design. You can see this action by searching the internet for the Drizzler gasifier. It’s a downdraft gasifier, but the oxidation zone is at the top. There is no hopper, there are no air nozzles, and no fuel is stacked on top of what is currently being oxidized. By design, the operator needs to feed the gasifier often, with small amounts of feedstock. The folks that built and tested this concept (not the first) demonstrated a 27-hour continuous run.

You could do the same with the Imbert design. However, the Imbert works differently than the open-top configuration. There is a hopper, there is feedstock that sits above the combustion zone, and there are air nozzles. The reason the downdraft configuration is typically “closed” is largely due to restrict incoming air to the nozzles at a certain velocity (for various reasons). If a downdraft gasifier was left “open,” there are risks in the event of a small amount of syngas escaping the negative pressure, mixing with air, and all it takes is a spark above the combustion zone. We used to call this a “puff event,” which is a nice word for an unintended explosion in or above your hopper.

Better to keep a downdraft gasifier “closed” and feed your fuel from another air-tight vessel, or implement some kind of airlock system to prevent (or mitigate) the danger.

The most difficult configuration for continuous runs, in my opinion, would be the updraft gasifier. And that’s simply because the syngas flows upward. Because of gravity, auto-feeding the system—even if coming from a sealed vessel or an airlock mechanism—if very likely to mix some amount of air with syngas, nearly all the time. Possible… but dangerous.

This isn’t an exhaustive explanation, and others may want to chime in on the topic, but I hope it helps you make a decision if continual gasification is part of your requirements. Remember, there are pros and cons with all systems, and choosing the right one depends on your needs and your context.

Hope this helps.

7 Likes

Very good TroyM.
The later All Power Labs systems at; and past their GEK Version IV’s, do this auger fuel in from an offset air tight hopper.
More motors. More motor power supplies. Overload-jammed cut power system would be found to be needed then. Then even onto an auto reversing system.

@d100f Dave in Australia picked up three APL GEK systems for near scrap metal prices.
Read and study so far what he has found as far as found systems stoppages. And not-used points.
Smart; he has three. When an APL unique made mother board controller goes wonky he has others now as spares.
Spare controller motors, power supplies, sensors.
S.U.

7 Likes

Veljko, by a electronic carbourator you mean gas mixer? If so, 99% of sistems here do not have one. Woodgas is wery forgiving and once you tune the sistem, it can be set and forgoten, even if using just a ball valve as air control.

Refueling while the motor runs isnt rocket science either. Vast majority of gasifiers are able to do this.

I am not writing this to discredit Sergej. What l want to say is try and just build a gasifier, prefferably a simple charcoal gasifier. You will learn quick that woodgas can be incredibly simple to operate. Later, you may start complicating things :wink:

9 Likes

If you store power in a battery bank, well then it dont matter. Shut the thing off for second, this way you dont delute the output gas. Refuel and start back up. If you dont delute the gas the generator will fire right back up. You wont lose power because of your battery storage.

Another way is to build a teamed system. This requires two gasifiers with a shared filter system. When you refeul simply cut the one off line while you re fuel and then swap to the other one. This also makes it easier to scale up a charcoal system and will make the system more reliable and self sustaining.

With charcoal its much easier to use static adjustment carburetor. Charcaol systems have an open reactor so fuel flows are far more stable than a wood gasifier especially at the smaller scale.

3 Likes

Thanks everyone! This is very useful info.
Steve, can you send me links of inverter-generator units you have?
If not possible here, pls send in private message or to [email protected]

5 Likes

O.K.
The Honda series of engine driven inverter-generator units are worldwide. So available in 50 Herz. Our small Honda EU2000 suitcase unit was a gift to my Wife. 98cc engine. Redesigned now as a 2200 rated unit with a 125cc engine.
Their larger 3000 series units are more versatile. Some true off-grid living here using these as winter season PV solar fill in power. With frequent oil changes, unit good for year after year.

My Yamaha EF2700 is an older open frame design. 172cc? as I recall. Rated higher it still will not start up many electrical motors.

The big 9500/7600 watt made-in-China unit is sold here in the US through a tools retailer Harbor Freight. Canada, Princess Auto. 459cc single cylinder engine.
There are many manufacturers and suppliers in this size range:

Me, Dave, and others wish for even larger units that would have V-Twin air-cooled engines.
Woodgasing is much easier done on multiple cylinder engines. Finally the very new 744cc V-Twin DuroMax 16,000 watt unit in the second video. Gavin now with three videos up now on just it.
S.U.

4 Likes