Sifting and grading charcole

I love that rig Bob. Some proper redneck engineering there. I may have to duplicate when I get over to the dark side.

1 Like

Thank you Andy, for the compliment (proper redneck engineering). It was totally a work in progress, figure it out as I was building it. No drawings or sketches, just ideas in my head that would not go away until it was built. The ideas all came from the DOW Members. Thank you All that helped by sharing your ideas here on this site.
Now back to finishing my Charcoal Gasifier.
Bob

Hi Bob, Nice set up for sizing and sorting engine char! Can you slow the grinder and rotating screen down? While watching the video I was thinking it was running pretty fast and beating up the charcoal more than necessary. This can also make more dust. Just a thought.
Gary in PA

1 Like

Hi Gary, just ran it that fast for the video. I have run it a lot slower when grinding charcoal, I just hold the trigger and not lock it on so I can stop it quickly if a brand gets in the hopper. It just can’t grind them up. Which is good. Thanks for the infomation on handling the charcoal. When it comes out the Trommel it is dust free, ready to put into my plastic barrows.
Bob

And I like how you use plastic sleds for catching the charcoal. I have three of them set aside for that too.
Gary

1 Like

Hi all, one more video of dust free handling of the charcoal put it into the barrow. The barrow will have a auger in it which will feed my charcoal into my Gasifier for longer traveling down the road.

bob

4 Likes

And all of the fine dust is captured for biochar
Neat and clean

2 Likes

Hi Michael, here are some pictures, of the final prosesing of the retort charcoal batch. There were a few Brans in the batch, I should of let it cook a little longer.
There was about a third of a 5 Gal. bucket of ash and fine char coal dust, 1/16" fines or less.
Almost a half of a barrow of engine grade charcoal.

Yes, the plastic under the whole unit caught 99% of the charcoal dust.

And none of the went to waste, the ash and fines are on the compost pile now.

The new coupling/slipcluch seems to be working well, thanks for the tip of using bigger hose.

If you like getting your hands dirty with charcoal dust and maybe a little on your face, then the Dark Side of Gasification Is For YOU!
Bob

2 Likes

I remember a picture of Chris after cleanup on his wood chunk gasifier that made him look like he was playing on the dark side

2 Likes

I was going to put the picture of @Chris up again, the temptation was great but I didn’t do it . That’s what happens when you are really in to your work, it called dedication to DOW.
Bob

1 Like

Hi, Bob!
23. of November 2016

And give “outside” cooling air to the poor electric drill!

2 Likes

I keep checking it and it is not getting hot, I put a Mico cloth around it to keep the charcoal dust out of it. I think I will cut the hole bigger and put a plastic shielding round it on the dusty side. It is 40* f out side, but in the summer time it will get to hot the way it is now. Thanks for the input, I appreciate it.
Bob

1 Like

Found this video showing several different sifting machines. Thought it might be useful.

5 Likes

See Making Charcoal without Smoke topic for more on this sifter:

This one pivots. Big stuff slides off. Little stuff passes through. Select size in between is emptied by tipping in opposite direction.

3 Likes