My Simple-Fire (Pics 2+3) is finally coming along. I found a few (14 total) metal buckets (Pic 1) on Craigslist for free. The guy poured concrete driveways, sidewalks, garage floors, etc. so he went through a LOT of concrete sealant. When ever a bucket got too hard to easily pour, he’d set it aside. In the end, I got about 2 gallons of good sealant out of the deal.
Unfortunately, the lids have that 3"D pour-spout (Pic 4) which is going to make a heavy flange a requirement for the exit pipe.
So far I have my 1"ID ‘black iron’ pipe running through the side with a double flange that I cut out of some sheet-metal roofing scraps I had laying around. I used the black stove cement/grout to seal the holes/flanges. I can’t find any refractory type clay around here and having trouble finding a cheap piece of stainless to wrap the nozzle end of the pipe with. Do you think the stove cement would be able to withstand the heat at the nozzle enough to protect my pipe, assuming I coated the pipe end in the gunk?
I did install a Dino Fuel Cutoff Valve (“DFCV”, Pic 5) in the fuel line of my riding mower (a old Craftsman with a 18HP B&S engine) today, along with a new (non-rust filled) Dino fuel filter, and a pair of new spark plugs. After I got the engine warmed up and running more happy, I tried to cut the fuel but the engine continued to run on the residual fuel for another 60-90 seconds before starting to die. That might cause issues with getting the fuel-air ratio correct while transitioning from Dino to charcoal.
I need to leave to stock Dino system usable for my girlfriend. She does lawn maintenance for a living and I am quite allergic to cut grass so she would be using the mower as originally intended when I am away from home. Hopefully, she’ll learn the charcoal system soon but it is good the have the backup in case I forgot to make charcoal for her.