I decided to attempt a hybrid Simple Fire/Kalle gasifier in one of my 5 gallon steel buckets.
I cut out a circle out of the top of one of my closed-end barrels to reinforce the lid where the pipe and fittings will all be attached to. It wasn’t the prettiest of welding jobs, especially since I had several burn-throughs that needed to be patched with big globs of welding wire filler.
I used my biggest drill bit (a “#4 Unibit”, I think it goes up to 3/4 inch) to drill some holes for my pipes. The holes were still too small so I used some sheers to “flower” out the holes to the OD of the pipes (1" ID). The “flower petals” also give more grip on the pipe at the joint. I had some pretty nice looking welds on the pipe-to-lid joints but I wanted to over-build them which made them turn ugly.
Unfortunately, I was welding until after dark with a flashlight so I couldn’t take any “in progress” pictures.
Picture 1: Top of the lid showing reinforcement plate welded in. I chose to add some heatsink fins to the outlet pipe to cool some of the gas before it reaches the gas tube, which is a rubber radiator hose.
Picture 2: Bottom of the lid showing the internal lengths of the respective pipes. I still need something more heat-resistant to put on the end of the inlet pipe. I’ll probably salvage some stainless from one of my girlfriend’s old water bottles and wrap the tip with a few layers of that.
Picture 3: Close up of the heatsink on the exit pipe. I was pretty much just fucking around trying to get a workable method of sticking those banding fins to a pipe with minimal burn-through.
Picture 4: I warped the lid pretty decently while welding those things. I’ll have to take a rubber mallet and maybe my tiny bench-vise to straighten it out tomorrow.