Simple water pump idea

Yes, it’s a temperature differential “hot air” engine. The use of cold pumped water through the cooling jacket enhances efficiency. I have read that the cycle of this engine is not technically Stirling, allegedly it is better efficiency, but I don’t understand the distinction. I do like it though, looks like a design that could be readily adapted to tubular steel frame, and some components, and welded design.

It was mass produced, but couldn’t match the immediate start up or compact power of gasoline engines.

3 Likes

To me this is nothing but a beta stirling engine.

But l wonder how they arranged it with the piston? What was it made of and how it was designed…

1 Like

Hi Kristijan, I bet you can look up the patient on it.
Bob

1 Like

They were originally made all of cast iron, except the displacer was made from sheet metal filled with charcoal as a low density insulator.

Nowadays stainless steel sheet for the displacer would allow operation at higher temperatures, as would stainless pipe for the hot end.

Hobbyist sites have many examples of scale model replicas.

anim18er

6 Likes

Nope! Swedish submarines use them. Solar dishes uses them. Cryocoolers uses them. Philips made some generators, Whispergen domestic CHP systems… many successfull applications.

Regards,

Luis

Edit: some links:

regards!

7 Likes