Sizing for Imbert Gasifiers

Hi, Ron!
28.10. 2018

Good to get measures, that’s part one of the question!

“Milking” the second part of the question: The charing?

Hi Max , I never measured the char above the nozzles but I think the gasifier maintained a couple of inches of char above them.

1 Like

Hi Ron,

Do I understand it right, you want your engine to breathe in way over 4000 cubic feet of gas per hour through total 1.5 square inches nozzle diameter?

1 Like

Hi Daniel, I have never checked the total volume ,but but as the wood is oxidized the gas expands and this is only about 50% of the fuel volume because at the intake manifold it is mixer with air to make the combustible mix…

1 Like

Hi, Ron!

Tank you for the estimate of the “upper” char!
OK

Hi, Holzi!

You are going into “industrial” measurements!
Near the process 3600 increments smaller units are easier to apply on small gasifiers…

The “momentan (instantaneous) happening”.

0,6 X 0,5 times the motor intake is = the gasifier intake.

2 Likes

Remove this!

3 Likes

Thank you Daniel for joining in on this thread. You post seldom on here so I hope the others remember who you are. Assistance from any European is very helpful because of your ability to read and understand that language that most of the gasifier information is posted in. I understand your not wanting to join in a lot of our blabber, but I think this one is reaching into the bag of knowledge deeper than we on this side of the pond are capable. Thank you again. TomC

4 Likes

Hi Max, sorry but I don’t get it.
300 CID = 4.916 Liters. Right?
At 2000 RPM, it revolves 33 1/3 times per second.
As this one is supercharged, let us assume the filling degree is 100%.
So for a fourstroke engine, the intake volume is 33 1/3 x 4.916 litres : 2 = 81.935 l/s.
Half the amount is gas = 40.967 l/s according to my calculation.
How do you get 14.748 l/s?

2 Likes

Dear Tom,

I only know the classic gas generators like Imbert, Kaiser, Wisco, Rotag, Zanker, Wacker and so on. My self-constructed gas generators are always an evolution of the best old systems, never a pure new development. That’s why I think it’s not so easy to help you guys with your self-developed newer systems. There are certainly better experts than me who can contribute more thanks to their practical experience with the newer systems. And for sizing an Imbert Generator, you don’t really need my help, because all literature is available on your homepage’s library.

5 Likes

remove my nonsens in here!

Hi Max!
Nothing to do with horeseriding :relaxed:
I did an atmospheric calculation too. I divided by 2 as you did.
The only difference we have seem to be the displacement of the engine in liters.

I agree Ron, but it really makes sense that you do calculate the total volume on your own. There is plenty literature on this homepage to do that. This will eventually answer many of your questions.

Hi, Holzi!

What displacement did you get?

I used a converter table which says:

300 CID = 4,916119 liters…

Did you drive the compressor 1:1 from the motor crancshaft?
(in your calculation?)

Hi Max

As I told you, I assume 100% filling degree using a compressor. A normal aspirating engine can be assumed on 75% filling grade. That always gives practicable results.

As for the total air volume, please check above. On 14.748 Liters per Second you get 53 m3/h. Calculating with 4800 kJ/m3, that would generate less than 20 kW power output on 25% mech. efficiency. But on charged 4.9 liters, you can expect at least 50 kW.

1 Like

Hi Holzi and All!

I am apologizing: I forgot the content of my own formula!

I was halving oncemore the calculating content.

The formula includes a filling grade over 70%.

1 Like

Max, Holzi reminds us of our good memories of Swiss precision

1 Like

Hi, Francois Pal!

Yes, excellent!

I hope all concerned parties will forgive my blunder!

Forgetting the content of a formula used for others is worse than using it for oneself.

It’s good to have an observant colleague stepping in before any damage or harm happens.
Good precision, indeed!

Yes, that will stay in the memory! With gratitude.

6 Likes

Hi Max no problem here,
I have always used the charts from the MEN plans and compared them with the Imbert plans. This has worked well. The main problem I have is knowing how to figure the addition of the blower.
Currently the gasifier is sized for 300cid @ 2400rpms this is highway speed.60mph. ,I added the blower and the truck has some more acceleration but not any more speed. after test running I could see it was drawing too hard for the size , there was condensate in the bottom of the cyclone which was normally dry,but didnt see any signs of tar producing .
Thank you for all the help and informatuion, I dont want to cause a lot of extra work for any one.
If the size needs to be proportionally larger all I would have to do is increase the hearth size proportionally.

2 Likes

Hey, l was thinking. Easyest way to enlarge your existing gasifier wuld be to just set the nozzles higher, say a inch. They are screwed in l belive? A simple threaded coupling under every nozzle and you have enlarged the gasifier. If neaded, you culd allso enlarge the restriction.

1 Like