Sizing for Imbert Gasifiers

Hi Max; Thanks for your patience, I am pretty slow to figure things out.so some times my attention span is tooo short
So what I need to do is increase the nozzle area, the nozzle ring diameter, and the restriction by 35% ?

Hi, Ron!

How much you enlarge depends on how far you are going with the motor “force-feeding”!
in the future.
I am just talking of a “reservation” of room = process volume in the gasifier.
The further you go, the more urgent an intercooler becomes.

But for the moment, it is a question of area = flow passage enlargement, not straight diameter increasing!

Formula for area:

Pii x d2
------------- =

3,14159 x d2
-------------------- =

Any nozzle area increase is of course 16-fold; to begin with, increase only the horizontal holes.

With the current gasifier, the diameter enlargement for the nozzle-tips-circle is hardly doable, if not turning them outward from the center and adding a U-turn peace and the original tip screwed in, turned inward the center!

At the same time, by having the U-peace not bent straight upward, but say 45* tilted, you could have a bit less height increase but the inward aiming leg would be out of the way for the upward blowing beam.

This is easier for temporary experimenting, than rebuilding everything, without knowing how the new measures work.

Getting U-turns applied may be impossible because of crowding…

Then Kristijan’s suggestion to just raise the current 90*:s with an extra connection.

This is delicate…

The area formula for the restriction is “up there”.

This is a bit unhappy, as this gasifier is obviously intended to be built once-only, and not to be a “testbench”.

1 Like

Hi Max; I can easily cut the square ends off the nozzles this would add one inch to the nozzle ring.What would the Ideal nozzle ring diameter be?
If it would help the nozzles can easily be raised, and the restriction will lift out, easy to enlarge the diameter of it if necessary.
Do you think the restriction diameter is large enough?
This would be for experimenting.This has been an interesting project I think it will work.
Thanks for your interest and help.

1 Like

Hi, Ron!

Starting with the current measures?

Nozzletip common ring diameter now,… … and what it can be:
cone hight:
restriction diameter:

turning in… meant going to sleep.

Awake!

Hello Max, the current diameter of the nozzle tip ring is 10 1/2". and what it can be 12-12 1/2"
the cone higth ( from the restriction to the nozzle plane) currently 5" . I could change it several inches if needed because I took the old ones out.
restriction diameter currently 5". I could make it up to 8" if needed.

This is with the restriction set in it.

This picture is without the restriction.
Hope this helps.
Thanks, Ron L.

7 Likes