First off let me say thank you for posting and taking me to school.
Here is my version 1.5 system.
Built from junk I had and materials that were available within 1 km of my farm. My goal was to build a mobile fueling station. We run a variety of small engines to process crops, power generators, and pump irrigation.
It is a classic simple fire scaled up to a 50 gal. drum. My nozzle is a 8" long section of 1" diameter pipe. That is wrapped in two layers of 1/16th" thick stainless as a sheath. I have a coffee can water drip system to boost and cool things off.
I mount the mixing manifold near the reactor and not the engine. The logic being that I only have one set of filters and valves for multiple engines. The engine specific part is a fitting to adapt to the air intake. Adjusting the mix is a little tricky. Longer plumbing makes for a time delay between adjustment and reaction.
We start on gas/diesel warm it up and use the engine vacuum to start the burn. When things are running smooth we switch over to char-gas. For diesel we trickle in about 20% liquid fuel for lubrication and pilot ignition.
We run until the top gets hot. Switch back to dino fuel. Open, stir, and top off with charcoal, then reseal. Once the air we introduced is evacuated we switch back to char-gas.
This particular gasifier ran a 8hp Honda GX clone for 6 hours pumping 4" pipe full of water from a shallow well. We found that approximately 35 → 40% of the charcoal was consumed in the the drum. After refill we ran for an additional 5 hours before quitting for the day.
That fine folks is a productive run time.
Version 2.0 will have a different nozzle.
I was able to find a 8’ section of steel steam pipe that is OD 2" and ID 1". Wall thickness is .5". I plan on cutting it up into multiple 8" nozzles. Thread one end to fit into a 2" coupler. Then weld a stainless drum bulkhead plate around that coupler. A pipe wall that beefy should have a long lifespan.
I chose to use a KVL style retort because my environment matches his. The fuel materials available to me are piss-poor to down right sh_tty. Soft, punky saplings. Mostly fence row and road side clean-outs. Any wood of quality is too valuable burn up. Furniture, tool handles, etc.
I am building a wood chipper and charcoal grinder as we speak. My hope is that I can speed up the wood drying time, and lower the prep labor, by chipping it before I bake it.
For us the Holy Grail of fuel would be pressing pellets from charcoal-ed grass / leaves with manure as a binder. If that is even possible. Those tests are a few months off.
Here is what gave me the idea in the first place.
Thank you once again.