Small generator on woodgas

Yes Wallace is correct.
Many of the small engine manufactures now use pulse-counting microprocessors in their coil pacs.
Give a different IG timing; cranking; versus low speed; versus high speed.
Some like Kohler Power show different coil-pac part numbers for the same V-twin engine series for 100% pump gasoline (E85 capable); versus for intended E85 & E100; versus “gaseous fuels” of propane and natural gas/methane.
Different timing advance slopes programmed in for the different fuel base characteristics.
Regards
Steve Unruh

1 Like

Interesting stuff : )

Can I just get one of those timing wheels? I have 2-13hp and 1-14hp Harbor Freight engines.

Well yes you can advance the timing that way but if you lack the right tools to check your timing its probably better to use an offset key. ( notice this website says .006 for every deg of timing I said .004 and I am inclined to think I was wrong with my earlier post )

Here is a good link.

I have no affiliation with this company.
This flywheel is from the GXV160 commercial lawn mower.
Its is NOT a good choice for wood gas or any other application under 4000 rpm.

Same rules for timing keys on the big block or small block Honda.

You need to be sure what your base timing is and if you are using parts that will change that.
GX160 has a base timing of 25 BTDC and the GX200 has 20.
If you use a GX160 flywheel on a clone you are starting with 25 + what ever the offset key adds.
Too much timing kills engines at low RPM so be conservative.

I am not absolutely sure but I think the stock head you have nursepractitioner1 is a 41cc head.
I have not much experience with that engine family ( the big block Honda ).
But I think there are other engines in the family with small combustion chambers.
I would look around for a scrap GX270 ( maybe even gx240 ) and try a head swap to get that compression up.
The larger the head an sweep volume of an engine the more the slow bringing speed of the wood gas is going to effect performance and the need to compensate for it.