Solar PV Advice

My view is if the grid is already there then use it. Those Monthly connection fees will be the lowest maintenance cost generator you will ever have. If hooking up is reasonable then again it will be cheaper then most backup generators. Most of the name brand inverters allow you to do some form of self consumption where you use as much solar as you can, ship nothing to the grid and use the grid only to make up the difference. You are depriving a large corporation of profit,maintain you power independence and can put together a truly powerful off grid system much less expensively since you can shrink your battery bank and do away with the large backup generator. From the social justice perspective you are not offloading the cost of the grid on those who can least afford solar which is a reality of net metered systems

It’s the path I’m on

Cheers, David Baillie

6 Likes

I installed a small 1KW system about 8 years ago it cost me next to nothing as it was a scheme by the Victorian Gov at the time i paid a little extra to get a larger inverter fitted as i intended to upgrade to more panels further down the line , that never happened though because i was set as a 1 KW system so if i upgraded to more power i would lose my max feed in tariff of 65c plus gst taking it to around 70c a KW , so if i use mains power i am charged or rather back in those days i was billed at 26c a kw so making a profit of 44 cents a kw was a great incentive to run my household on charcoal , now days my feed in tariff is down to 60 cents and the buy unit costs have risen too around 40 cents plus my daily supply charge has gone up to over $1. 20 c a day , so when the max feed in ends in 2024 i shall be installing a hybrid inverter and running the house off battery’s and charging from solar and charcoal and sending very little back to the grid and only keeping it on as back up as they will only pay around 11 cents a kw for your spare electric these days .
Dave

6 Likes

Still, I would lay panels everywhere. Costs are less then €1/Wp if you do it yourself and it delivers almost 1 kWh/Wp placed south 20 degrees here in Holland. That means a worst case scenario 10% payback
Year after year.

5 Likes

Joep, I was actually surpriced I managed 0,96 for my first full year up here. South 32°.
We’re allowed selling €4000/year before getting taxed for the income. How does that work in Holland?
I don’t have roofs to spare, so it won’t happen. Just interesting to compare.

4 Likes

You pay unlimited so you get payed unlimited. I think/hope. It depends on your tax system. Something I have to change. It is all business in my case and it is income so taxed. It would be netto if I shift it to private. Dont really care, i hardly pay tax, another hobby. :grinning: And if I dont like what I have to pay, the acountant gets beaten. Do what you get payed for, haha. Happened once. I am not going to pay that, yes, you have to, No, your job, find something, I will pay this. Come back when you found it. Haha, and he did, all according to the rules.
I am thinking of an extra meter with a contract for hourly tarif, and the other one the most expensive tarif. According to my calculation it is possible to make €25 a day, but al year long
only once writing software/connect electronics
 The idea doesnt let go. Easy money.

5 Likes

It means you need to build a bigger barn :slight_smile: Now you have me wondering if you can write off a barn that is designed to hold your solar array because it is the mounting system for the panels in the US.

4 Likes

Wouldn’t hurt trying. Ask Joep, he seems to be the deduction expert :smile:

5 Likes

I do think that when enough people in Sweden put up solar panels they will find a way to tax it so they can get their money back, I wouldn’t be surprised. I hope I am wrong though.
I also wanted solar panels for the last ten years but the cost put me off but looking back it would have been a no-brainer and now its more expensive because there is a boom that everybody wants solar to cut their bills.

I think I have to look into doing it myself though, Do you have any tips on to where to look for good ’bang for the buck’ panels and inverters @Pelletpower Joep?

2 Likes

Remember I’m in charge of the switch. It says ON/OFF :smile:

4 Likes

Johan, welcome on board. I was a little depressed about my woodgas capabilties and didnt reply on your posts. I hope you do a better job then me on that one. You cant miss with a mentor that qualified and so nearby.

About PV, this is still a good moment. Price are cut in half in the last ten years so you didnt miss. I think from here they will start rising, according to my glass ball :grinning: But is his not so bright the last years. Anyway, just buy a complete pallet or more. Use what you have room for and sell the rest. I did that whit two pallets last year. People standing in line, please please. And the got angry that I didnt. Cowboy market and good to fill your pockets. Take a good look what regulation says in Sweden, it cant be complicated. For my shop in the city I made my own frame and also for the last five panels on the wall. The easiest system is on a sandwich panel roof. That changed a lot the last ten years. Google your local supliers, inverters are all from China. I have several Growatts, they are ok. And I would advice to put them south on a 65 angle. Good for wintertime.

3 Likes

No worries about replies Joep :slightly_smiling_face:

Well that remains to be seen :smile:

How much is usually on a pallet?
And what manufacturing country for panels would you say?

5 Likes

Around 30 on a pallet. Mostly from China. Dont worry, quality is ok. Maybe better then European. Yingli is a big name. It must be available local. If you buy a pallet big traders will talk to you. Mine were Jinko 445 Wp and I paid €152 ex tax for one panel. To get an idea.

I like Growatt. Good bang for the bucks. I bought a pallet second hand inverters last year. Delivery of new inverters was a problem.
My rule of thump is the same Wp panels connect to the W rated as inverter. Some people put more Wp on a inverter but I dont like that. A little less efficient but it keeps the holy smoke inside the inverter.

This year I heard frame material is a problem?

Do you have enough room? What size are you thinking off?

Edit
Sorry. Thought it was pm. No problem. No secrets.

2 Likes

JoepK. ,this is now the third time recently you have referred to your failure to be able to launch into woodgasing successfully.
I believe now I know the why of your problem.
I search for one of your references to woodgas disappointments that is not on a dedicated PV solar topic to give you my observed experiences and reasoning.
Steve Unruh

4 Likes

Yes please, because it get the idea it is a sign not to complete my woodgas journey. :grinning: Go with the flow is my motto

3 Likes