SOLD: John Cleveland's 1980 Ford F150

[Posted on behalf of John Cleveland]

1980 F-150 Flare side pickup truck for sale with functional Wayne Keith style wood-gas generator installed in the bed. The truck has a 351 Windsor motor. The odometer reads 69,655. I do not know the history of this motor or what actual mileage may be. The tires were new in 2013 and have 90% of the tread left. I bought this truck to convert to a wood gas vehicle in 2012. I have put over 1,000 miles on this truck with wood, and enjoyed every one of them. This truck is carbureted and thus has the carb over plenum setup that is normal in carbureted wood gas vehicles. That means this truck has two gas pedals……one for gasoline and one for wood gas. The truck is equipped with gas shutoff switch located on the steering column which closes a solenoid valve in the gas line feeding the carburetor. This allows the truck to be run on 100% wood gas if desired. It can also be run 100% on gasoline or run in hybrid with a mixture of wood gas and gasoline. The truck itself is in the type of shape you would expect a well-used 1980 truck to be in……maybe slightly better body wise as there is really little rust on this truck. The wheel flares on the back are fiberglass so they can’t rust. There is a little bit of rust around the front passenger side wheel well. Other than that there is not a lot of rust. The reason I am selling this truck is because I do not have time to use it anymore due to family commitments and it deserves to be owned by somebody that can use and enjoy it. I drove this truck 3 times in 2014 and once this spring……all on wood. It does need some TLC that I don’t have time to invest. The brakes are very spongy and I think the brake line to the rear drivers side has a leak. That is the only thing I know of that is wrong with the truck of any significance. The gasifier was built “by the book” in 2012 to Wayne’s standards. The gasifier seemed to work properly this spring with the exception of the pusher blower. This does not work. The only blower that works is the suction blower which draws air through the gasifier. This limits you a little bit, but really not that much. The suction blower is important to start the gasifier. I seldom if ever used the pusher blower even when it did work. Really I only used that when I wanted to flare off gas to show people, which I admit is pretty cool! I have a brand new blower in the box and ready to go that comes with the truck. I also have a re-furbished (soaked in diesel) blower that ran when I checked it last year after cleaning it that comes with the truck. I also have a couple (2 I think) grill thermometers that will come with it.

The price I am asking for this truck as it sits today is $3,500. Any potential buyers can feel free to call me and I will do my best to answer questions, send pictures and possibly video. The truck would be picked up at its location in Bradford Ohio 45308. Thanks.

My build is well documented under my Premium thread here including lots of pictures. I’ll add a few more pictures here shortly.

2 Likes

Here are a few pictures of the truck taken this spring.

2 Likes

Hi John; this was a nice running unit, you let me drive it at Argos two years ago and it ran well I was impressed. This is well worth what you are asking, if I didn’t have a truck running on wood I would be happy to purchase this.
This wiil sell quickly. Good Luck, Ron L

1 Like

If I was semi-retired I’d buy it in a heart beat. Right now the cost of things like insurance, inspections, maintenance, time and etc is out of the question. At this price it should sell FAST…

Jeff

1 Like

Hi Ron. I remember our drive at Argos. That is the only time I’ve ever sat in the passenger seat of this truck! The truck also always appreciated the good kiln dried hardwood that you so generously provide at the Argos events.

Jeff I know what you mean about time. That is really the only reason the truck is for sale. My priorities shifted a bit with the addition of children. I would love to know how to get more hours in the day. Along with cutting back my wood-gas driving, my garden is a fraction of what it used to be, I only have 1 bee hive this year, last year was the first year in 12 I didn’t shoot a deer (or hunt for that matter), and I’m selling my motorcycle because I never have time to ride it. I’m not complaining…I love my kids…but they definitely do tend to re-prioritize the things in a man’s life!

5 Likes

John, keep up the good family work…!! Still trying to get the garden in… :sob:

Jeff

Hi John C, Good too here you prioritizeing your famley first,Back too your truck,You shouldent have much trouble selling, Thats a lot of Killowatts of a high end WK gasifier,for a welder ,generator,or on any truck.that classic truck has got too be worth that,I would not sell it less than 5000, you caint buy one that size,less than 6000 too 10000, ? NO WARE. GOOD LUCK

Hi Kevin. I admit the truck does have a nice classic style to it. It would look really good with a new paint job instead of the faded black. I paid $1,000 for the truck in 2012. The bed was rotten so I had to replace that and the tires were no good so I put new tires on it in 2013. I figure I had about 400-500 hours spent building the gasifier and installing it in the truck…I work a lot slower than Wayne:) If this truck had a shiny new paint job and didn’t have the brake issues I’d probably be asking $5,000 for it. I think it’s priced very fairly for the condition its in knowing the future owner is going to have to give it a little TLC to get it in tip top shape.

1 Like

This truck is capable of doing work. As you can see from this photo, when I moved late in 2013 I had my dog drive the truck pulling a trailer full of my things. He did a nice job until he saw a rabbit run across the road. Then things got a little hairy. :dog2:

10 Likes

Hi john are you willing too sell gasifier systom for 2500 $ ,just checking in case i run intoo some one looking for one all built for few hundred dollars,after exspenses.I know i got a lot of hours in too my gasifier truck,at least 400 hours.Nice unit.

1 Like

You must mean Hare’y LOL

1 Like

I won’t count my hours or dollars invested. A lot like raising kids. But then again, how could I accept a purchase offer when what is my time worth? Catch 22.

1 Like

If you dont have time too use it,then it really it better too sell too someone more retired, or has more extra time The good part is you have all the knowege of how too BUILD manage and operate a wood gas truck,or welder generator.Hate too see you have too sell it is all.God Bless

1 Like

Hi Kevin. I would prefer to sell the entire unit intact. I think the right person would enjoy getting a complete unit that is ready right now to drive on wood. If, however, it doesn’t sell then I would be willing to split it up and sell the gasifier as a stand alone piece. This far people haven’t been beating down my doors to buy it so maybe its headed that way. If you have further interest in this option let me know. Best regards.

Give people some time to think about it.

Jeff

Man, thats a cool truck. And cheap for a wood gaser. IF I had some money it would be something I would buy. But for now I am just going to keep gathering parts for my gasifier one part at a time. @jcleveland78
Good luck selling it and i hope you don’t disassemble it. That would be such a shame. :frowning:

Hello, I’m interested in this truck, but I didn’t see a phone number. Maybe I missed it. Anyway, my number is 256-2522133. Billy in AL.

1 Like

Hi Billy. I private messaged you my number (or at least think I did). Let me know if for some reason you don’t get it. I’m still figuring out the bells and whistles of the new website. Thanks.

1 Like

Well I took the truck out for a drive last weekend. Cruised around some back country roads on 100% wood. Took this video while I was at ithttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cTAjk6moF1s

4 Likes