Speedy way to boil water. with Kelly kettle

Fast hot chocolate with kelly kettle and solo stove.. under 4 min.…-under-4-min…html

I just wanted to share this trick I found to heat 5 cups of water to boiling in 3 min using a kelly kettle on top of my DIY solo stove, combined with a chimney.

8 Likes

Does anyone have the design considerations for a smokless fire pit. I have a 55 gallon barrel and a 40 or 50 gallon hot water heater tank to work with. I need to boil water in a large 15 gallon pot very shortly. :slight_smile:

I was going to do something like:

But make it taller and use the water heater tank on the inside which should be thicker metal so I could put more wood in it. But I don’t see any of these with any sort of ash clean out. So what do you do when you get a bunch of ash in it? I probably can’t pick up a full pot. I can’t have coals on the ground per the township rules. Any ideas?

1 Like

That is an amazing design. Walmart is now selling a clone of the Solo stove design…

I am sold on the Solo stove design, I have made some and given them to friends.

2 Likes

This video was one of the best I have seen…

1 Like

That last video is close to whatever organization started doing them for 3rd world countries way back when which may have evolved into solo or they knocked it off for ‘camping’. I don’t recall.

I think I will just end up cutting a barrel in half, then use a lid on top. with a hole in it big enough to slide the roughly half the water heater tank in.

I am trying to figure out the ideal hole sizes and placement because ideally the secondary air reaches the middle. maybe I am overthinking it. :slight_smile:

And if I do that, am I going to be able to get away with fireplace sized chunks cut in half or will I have to get them smaller? Everything I have seen with solo stoves uses really small chunks.

2 Likes

I have not made a large sized one, But I have been making all kinds of pizza with my small one in my oven

2 Likes

While that looks good, I would have to get an automotive parts tray to make Detroit style pizza. :slight_smile:

3 Likes