Storing woodgas

Wide band O2 sensor in line to monitor for oxygen? I’m not planning on doing this, I am just brainstorming. Good luck wood gas storers and be safe.

1 Like

might be a good start, if one could get an oxegen reading in a propane full of propane tank ,then it would be in a usefull range, probbley not on a fin enough scale, Just thinking out lould, maybe it is.?

1 Like

Those 100 lbs or smaller propane tanks are only rated for 150 psi / thats bad enough with out any possible bangs that could seperate the tank,and or make people go deaf, or burn any body bad up tp 60 feet away, if seperated H and oxegon ignighted/not too much too save if happened.Gotta find the wright instramentation to montitor the gas and any oxegen before storeing, too make sure oxegen is not in the mix/would be nice for morning start ups.or equal to about quart of gasoline /of wood gas.

There must be seperation of the wood gases when stored,the hydrogen would be at the top of the can , with co or air. i think ambiant air is lighter than co ,if so it would be just under the hydrogen, or would it stay suspended with the co, any body happen too know how to this find questian,? THANKS I think were all a little off THREAD,for torch gas.

I use this kind of setup…
the gas is getting compressed into a vessel, replacing the water.
the second vessel acts as an air cushion to increase the pressure in the tanks…,
The gas never comes in contact with the air or oxygen and can never comes in the second tank.
Blue is the water, left tank is without the gas
Yellow is the gas, at the right , replacing the water.

2 Likes

Koen,
This is a great idea. Very safe and does the job nicely. That’s the kind of thinking I was looking for This topic should be it’s own thread so it can be refered to by those thinking of storing gas.

1 Like

Hi Gordon, look back at mother earth news in the early years how they stored methane gas with counter weighted floating drums, very safe

1 Like

I still would like to find some reasonable priced intramentation, to be sure whats in a fuel tank, especualy the bigger tanks under preasure, not even sure what type sensors would measure oxegen content mixed with fuel / safer is better than sorry / what is the fuel mix you were storeing, what size tank, and what preasure ranges, what was the compresing device.Thanks

1 Like

Wait a minute. I know my brain is slow sometimes, but I am a welding maniac. Are we talking here about using a wood gasifier to power a gas welding setup? That’s almost as good as driving on wood! So if we take woodgas and compress it, and mix it in the torch with compressed air, we can increase the energy of the burn to the point that it will cut and weld steel. That is a great idea.

As far as safety is concerned, don’t we concern ourselves with safety every day that we are building or operating a gasifier? We have puffer mechanisms on our wood hoppers and mixing containers. So if we were compressing woodgas on-the-fly not for storage, but for welding, then we would want an oxygen sensor and warning mechanism in-line between the gasifier and the compressed gas tank, and we would also want to keep that tank in an explosion-proof housing just in case of any booms.

The way I see this working is you would need two air compressors. Small ones would be fine. Dedicated units would be best. One compresses air to provide oxygen, and the other compresses woodgas to provide the fuel. Keep the woodgas compressor separate from the air compressor, and contain it in an explosion-proof compartment. Imagine the worst thing that could happen with a compressed gas contianer exploding, and build a cage for that: flying shrapnel, high pressure fireballs, and egsedrah.

1 Like

Gordon O This topic should be it’s own thread so it can be refered to by those thinking of storing gas

Yes, it should because that us getting way off topic.

1 Like

Brian W Yes I am talking about pumping woodgas from a gasifier into half of a gas flame cutter welder with pressurised O2 on the other half

I dont think compressing the woodgas into a container is a good idea

Again woodgas does not like to be compressed At best youd get the fuels splitting giving pure H2 at first and then pure CO towards the end or the opposite if you drew off the bottom of the tank

Woodgas is NOT the same as methane AKA Natural Gas Methane is a single type of molecule and will act the more or less the same throughout compression and decompression Woodgas is many gas types which all act differently to pressure and release

That is the last I want to hear about compressing and storing woodgas on this thread You want to keep discussing it Make your own thread

Anyways the idea I had for getting the woodgas to the torch is either force air blowing into the inlet of the gasifier or a special vacuum like a tiny ShopVac placed in mid stream This would suck on the gasifier and blow higher pressure gas out to the torch Maybe put some sort of adjustments onto the blower to give user control to avoid over pull or weak gas

1 Like

Hmm. Maybe we could avoid weak gas when cutting with our truck gasifiers by having some kind of variable choke on the gasifier. And keep a consistent quality of gas flowing by flaring off.

How much pressure would a shop vac create? I remember when I used a leaf blower to drive my old gasifier. I could hear the strain on the motor when I closed my blow off valve (keeping a two inch pipe worth of area right up to the nozzles). I believe that a vacuum blower wouldn’t push enough air through an orifice to work properly. It seems to me that it would need to be under pressure to squeeze enough flow through that tiny hole. Maybe an air compressor would be needed to get the woodgas through the orifice. Probably will just have to be tried.

1 Like

here is a concept for you. If you could create a diaphragm pump that used compressed air as its operating input you could use the exhaust air for the torche. This might pulse so both gases may need some type of accumulator tank for smooth delivery.

1 Like

The pump adds a load in the system. What purpose would it serve?

Anyway, I am focused on building my gasifier first, and then developing a suitable variable choke plate. You fellas work on the cutting torch. My head is beginning to hurt.

1 Like

Im with ya Brian, Im good with running my plasma torch ran from a wood gas generator system. A lot easier to do.

1 Like

I have to be careful with my punctuation, i got a lot errors when i try to post
The temperatures you could achieve are at the 1900°C marker, depending however how much your gas is diluted with inert matter that eats away your energy in diluting your gas
With oxy acetylene you hit the 3100°marker, with HHO the 2900°C

Using it as torch with oxygen, it can be done , but is it worth it ? do you get the needed heat?

It sure is fun to perform some experiments with it but less expensive and more fun maybe the road of an HHO torch

Storing the gas in balloons on the pictures
In those setups, the balloon functions as a temporary reserve since the gasifier was operated by an fan, sucked the gas from the gasifier, blown the gas into the balloon, the engine did take the gas from the balloon.
more reliable uniform gasquality and less lag time for the engine
overall not a bad solution especially for smaller engines

1 Like

OK, these two topics are now separate.

Oxy-woodgas cutting: http://driveonwood.com/forum/1785

Storing woodgas: http://driveonwood.com/forum/1316

1 Like

Look up storing woodgas on Yoou tube. There are a couple of people doing it. When cutting with Oxy/ Accet we just run the “gas” at about 7 psi. The oxygen is the high pressure and does the cutting. Use a regular Oxygen tank with a woodgas tank.

1 Like

And see how much gas it holds at 100 psi,with 5 gallon water bubler to be safer, That air leak in his air pump head gasket, seems like it might draw in extra air that dident get drawed in above the grait whare it was depleated in the gas makeing fire tube.allthough i do like the idea of brian w and put the propane storage tank inside of another tank maybe bolted to the cement with air holes on top and bottom, to keep any external leaks from building up. ALLTHOUGH I AM NOT RECOMENDING STOREING WOOD GAS.

1 Like

Rather than store the gas, you can store compressed air safely and easily. If you had a gasifier built to handle pos pressure this may be a better way to go. This would give longer run time pr fill up and is simply a safer way to go about it. I will be working on a design for our smaller systems sometime later this year. This will use a 3000psi tank for a controlled air input to run a camp stove/grill add on. You will be able to pump this up with a PCP air rifle pump.

I don’t remember who built the one out of pipe fittings but that one I think would be a great system for controlled compressed air input.

Hydrogen is no joke, I will never recommend storing this gas. If you ever have had, a serious flash back remember this is non pressurized gas. Just image this gas densified and under pressure flashing back.

1 Like