Super-capacitor generator setup

Careful where you grind on a clone case. The alternator bracked didn’t fit the way it was intended so I was going to modify the bracket. But tonight I got the smuck idea to grind on the case to make room for a boss on the bracket. Oh well I’ll steal an end plate from my parts engine. Dang it’s a bit beat, not nice and new like the one I put a hole in. I guess these are my training wheel engines. Maybe some day I’ll try to weld it…

Practice makes perfect…

4 Likes

Ouch, JB weld to the rescue!!!

Looks like you are going about it right. Using the spider couple to the alt is the only way to go!! I noticed you have a V belt pulley on the output shaft, are you going to get a generator motor for starting. This is a bullet proof way to go.

Here you will find Robert Smith, he is one of the leading experts in new super cap development and tech. You might find what he is doing interesting.

3 Likes

Hi Matt, yah I’ve been following him. Interesting stuff. Someday a new bracket should be made just for the clones and you would be the man to cut them out. Need to see how it works first. If it’s not easy to pull start I’m doing something wrong. So no electric starter. I would like to put an alternator on my micro tractor so the v belt would be needed for that or to be able the run a jurker line, etc…

2 Likes

Matt - Interesting video. Have you tried following his recipe?

1 Like

Yup you now exactly what it was like when we were building our own generators. Its a lot of work and most are not willing to pay for them when AC generators are so cheap.

Yeah I had been following graphene development for some time an ran across him. I truly believe this technology and others like are going to replace batteries here very soon.

2 Likes

Haha, not yet but you know I’m thinking about lol. We may be getting a beta unit from Robert this year, depending on cost and what we have to spend. I may start development on this as well :fire:

3 Likes

Dang, two different versions. I have an old clunker but using it right now. I might have another old version in the box but not sure. I don’t know if Matt’s glue will stick to something that had motor oil on it. Would like to weld it but need the time to practice first.

The bolts point to the curved/flat spots. Plus a difference on the other side by oil fill.

Oh well…

1 Like

Hello Jeff
JB weld will fix that right up. just wash it in gas or paint thinner or any thing to get the oil off.
There’s JB quick set and the slow set, the slow seems to work the best for me.
I have used it on all kinds of stuff and it sticks real good. It holds up to oil and diesel fuel, but gasoline will eventually soften it up.

5 Likes

Thanks Jim, I’ll pick some up and give it a try…

1 Like

Thanks guys… All glued, assembled and torqued…

Oh, that Coleman gas did remove the oil from my fingers so it must have cleaned the patch area.

2 Likes

Did the bracket repair hack tonight. Now I caught up to where I was a month ago…

I like the thread rod over the bolt through pipe scheme. Easy to adjust the threaded rod/bolts.

4 Likes

This was the day to start up the rig for the first time to break in the engine and see if the alternator falls off. This is only on gasoline and an old battery, no super caps. Inverter plus light for a load

First fill the tank with gas. I hate liquid fuels, spilled gas over the engine. Pull, pull, pull an no start. Looked like gasoline leaking out of the carb, dang Chinese or me spilling gasoline all over it.

Almost ready to pull the carb but went for the plug first. Ahh, oil from tipping the engine over to start it. Air hose was the only way to get the oil out but still no start. Repeated several times. OK, opened the carb bowl and drained out all the engine oil and it started second pull. :rage:

It all held together but this is just the start of the work that will need to be done. Used a 500w light but I do not know if it has a 500w bulb in it. When I find my wattometer I will measure it. The alternator ran amazingly cool, under body temp I would guess.

I have to put this a side and work on other stuff because time is running out.

3 Likes

Crank this…

5 Likes

That is really cool. Yet another project for the list.

1 Like

I think this guy took an old cast iron single cylinder engine and bolted on a chunk of a head from a modern car engine.

I guess an aluminum head would cut easy.

4 Likes

This post reminds me of a “fix” we had to do on Jakob’s go kart engine. He got a new predator engine from Harbor freight. They have a fill plug like this one on each side. To get his clutch bracket to mount we had to cut some of it off. We used red rtv to glue the plug threads in tight and let set over night. Then cut as little as possible with electric hacksaw through the housing and plug as needed. Did that to two engines now and neither has ever leaked.

2 Likes

Excuse me, but what does any of this have to do with capacitors?

1 Like

sorry, nothing…

1 Like

Simple, a super capacitor generator needs an engine. A super engine, no less ! !

6 Likes

I have been looking for this book for some time now. Found it with my woodgas stuff :relaxed:

It explains how to make a $400 governor for about $20, mechanical governor. Plus a ton of other stuff. It fits right in with Wayne and Ben’s book.

@TomC - - I could not find the plans for the PEGASUS gasifier. You wanted to know how far down the cyclone tube goes. It hit me that it was one of the things I gave away at Argos a few years ago, I think.

Friday I was driving near a HF and I had a clone engine coupon for $95 burning in my pocket. The lady told me if I bring it back for warranty to make sure all the gasoline is removed from it! I told her “no problem.” I also drooled over the 13 and 22HP engines. Not to mention the Vulcan TIG welder. :grinning:

6 Likes