Swedish chip generator

Lucky for me a metric to inch calculator is just a click away. Never could adapt. So you are talking inch to inch and a half. Bigger than what I think most tree branch chippers make but still no problem for a modified chunker that most here are using

4 Likes

Yes, these gasifiers where designed to use industrial chips, available at paper mills and district heating plants.
Edit: sorry about the metric, but as you say there are easy to find converters.

5 Likes

You don’t owe an apology and I can’t apologize for my old calcified brain.

3 Likes

Ok I’m just throwing this out there to confuse the hell out of everyone. Metrics to inch one mm is .0394 inch. A very strong 1/32 inch for you fractional guys. Call it 40 thousands to get you in the ballpark. Works best if we are talking measurements under 25mm. Rough estimate 25 mm is 1 in. This is just to get you to thinking. Like a lot of other information on this forum. I hadn’t checked in for a few days and found one thread with 70 posts.:astonished::astonished:

18 unread 6 new S**t like being in highschool again. My head hurts

9 Likes

The same overhere, cant catch up.

5 Likes

Then there’s people like me who see Swedish Chip Generator and think I wonder if swedish chips are the same as ours. I wonder what swedes us for dip?

8 Likes

I bought a gengas book from a gengas friend here in Sweden, looked in it last night, it says about the tests that were done on wood chips.
They tested both large (22mm length) (1 “length) small (8mm length) (0.314” length) chips, but got too much resistance, only after 10 minutes.
Then they made a moving grid, which moved 1/2 "back and forth for 7.5 times a minute, then the resistance was at the same value as with a block (140mm vp) in a 3 hour test.
The calorific value of the gas rose from 1295kcal / Nm3 with wood pieces to 1340kcak / Nm3 with wood chips.
Then you can get rid of the arch so it should work.

9 Likes

Hi Jan, first of all: Thanks! for the link to SMP library, I have never found that before, used to buy those “SMP meddelanden” whenever they showed up, at Tradera and like.
That book looks very interesting, do you know if one can buy it from Maskinprovningarna?

3 Likes

I do not think so, I got it in other ways, I can hear if you can buy one if you want, I had to give 500+ shipping, but I think it was because I showed where the information was.

2 Likes

If it’s not to much trouble, it would be very nice of you. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

@Woodrunner what is the essential function of the hopper limiter in the chip gasifiers?

Is it the hole being smaller than the burn tube, or is it the smaller hole in combination with a voided area?

I would expect the voided area between the burn tube and the hopper to allow gas and air flow around the chips, to fluff it up as it were.

Very interesting that it basically has two condensation gutters as well.

2 Likes

Hi Cody, by hopper limiter you mean the “funnel” in bottom? I think it’s as you say there is a smaller hole in the funnel than the firetube. This was something they came up with to avoid all chips in the hopper rest on the charcoal bed, because it became to compacted/tight. This funnel supports the chips and also acts as part of the drying/condensing system. The “inverted funnel” shaped like a lamp-shade are a shield to lead condensate, following the funnel, to drip in the gutter along the periphery of the hopper.

3 Likes

I am trying to think of a drop in funnel for a gasifier. Something to adapt to an existing hopper for testing fuel consistency.

As far as the rest of this gasifier is concerned it could have used block fuel, right?

Late answer but i found some pic’s, showing differences.

Chip gasifier.

Same gasifier, setup for chunks/blocks.

4 Likes

It looks like just based on those two drawings, the small mouth of the baffle is roughly the same size as the nozzle tip circle. Very interesting and I hope that is the case, would be a very good rule of thumb.

2 Likes