Swedish chip generator

I found a writing about a Swedish generator that runs on chips, without any major changes, the biggest is probably a moving grate, faster start and better response, with chips versus block.
https://hosting.devo.se/smp/catview.html?method=start&viewMode=1&documentId=3216&pageNo=8

5 Likes

Hi Jan, that is the typical SMP-gasifier, evolved from 1974 models, built in cooperation with Volvo.
Nice you found this “library” of SMP (Statens maskinprovningar) they have done much tests with woodgas, much “ordered” from ÖEF (Överstyrelsen för Ekonomiskt Försvar)
I think it was Ă–EF that required a gasifier for chips, due to good fuel supplies (wood chips reserves, available at paper mills.
(Ă–EF=Head of economical defense)
Edit: i just found these pic’s of a 1974 version, there are only minor differences, i think the one on the drawing are the taller type, for trucks and tractors?

Sorry if i “hijack” your thread. :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

Do you know if they made it work well? I’m a little skeptical that the chips do not hang, but that would be a good way to get a lot of wood.

4 Likes

Joni has good luck with telephone forestry service chips via pointing nozzles up 20 degrees. I need to finish my copy to see the performance. I have large chips just waiting in a pile.

3 Likes

I tested with upward-pointing nozzles, but noticed no difference, on the charcoal formation.
https://hosting.devo.se/smp/
There is a lot to look at here, enter for example (gengasved) gengaswood, and you get a lot of machines for making pieces of wood.

3 Likes

One other way I think he prevents bridging is his gasifier is on a hitch platform, but he has a fixed grate. The entire Gasifier shakes when he hits bumps in the road.

2 Likes

I think he does not get much bridging because the unit is located at the back of the car.

4 Likes

Yeah exactly. It is shaken around so there is no opportunity for char to stick together or fuel to hang up.

2 Likes

Don’t you guys think running chips would be too close to running gasoline? Wouldn’t it rob us of all the fun?

3 Likes

Not everyone has unlimited of small trees to take off, and such a fast wood cut.

2 Likes

Hi Jan, what i’ve heard there was a lot of problem with bridging, on “smooth” roads It ran just fine on, little bumpy, dirt roads.
There was also the opposite problem, with packed, tight charbed, on the smaller, car gasifier there was like a upside-down bucket, with holes along the sides, just over the hearth, to get like a controlled “dosage” or distribution of chips. At the larger gasifiers it was like a funnel over the hearth.

2 Likes

Ok, it’s like FEMA, sounds good to begin with.

1 Like

Like this illustration in Jan’s link?

Looks like it also double acts as the monorator. Neat.

3 Likes

Yes, exactly, this holds the chip load, not to stand it’s weight directly on the burn-zone/charbed, compacting it to much.

4 Likes

Hey, now you got me triggered. Why? To easy gasification? Or do you miss your meditation hours behind your little rebak chunker?

1 Like

Both actually :smile: Also, chips require quite a lot of input power to make, not to mention a very expensive machine. Gets further away from our DIY goals in my opinion.
But, as always - if you aready own one…

Oh, and one more thing - drying capabilities. The smaller the fuel, the harder to dry. Plus a chipper will probably make you want to produce huge batches.

7 Likes

You shouldn’t say that publicly, you just gave the government an excuse for not fixing the roads. :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

It seem’s to me they don’t need excuses :roll_eyes:

5 Likes

What size are the chips you are talking about?

For the smaller chip gasifiers: screened, 10-30 millimeters, the bigger: 20-50 millimeters.

3 Likes