Take a guess for fun

this is the more refined version and a short walk around while in operation. remember there is whole tires in the main pot .

6 Likes

Interesting system and a nice level wood lot…!

1 Like

Hi paul mc,neat simple design, if a guy could insulate it and make a water boiler jacket, he could use water for heat or water heater.might have too make the burn box a little bigger.If i am looking at this set up correct,the barrow with the tires has only one outlet that goes too the two condensers.After condencing the remaining gas gets pushed intoo the bottom fire.Burns clean for tires.Does it take a lot of time too consume a tire? THANKS

1 Like

Neat setup, Paul.

I guess Wayne and others who don’t need the heat are making pretty sturdy flip-flops out of their tires :smile:
Went to the auto junkyard the other day to buy a “new” tire.
The owner told me his father started started the buissness during the war. He was at first a haulage contractor with several trucks, all of them woodgased. Towards the end of the war he expanded his buissness into vehicle junk only to get tires for his trucks. He would probably cry if he could see what you are doing :smile:

1 Like

you have it all right kevin its pretty simple . I put the unit where it is because I have a ditch right there with plenty of water just in case tires burn like crazy im sure most know . after more time I would like to pipe some of the waste heat to my shop right now im just exchanging wood for fuel oil the fuel stacks nicer in barrels . and its a bonus to get rid of the tires in ny they charge to take them . in my county its4.00 for a car tire and 5.00 for trucks so 100 tires ist 4-500 smackeroos ouch . that same 100 tires is around 100 gallons of fuel that saves its a win win .
on the last question it does take time depending how full the hopper is 5-6 hours depending on how tennitive you are with the fire. hope that answers some questions.

2 Likes

very interesting Paul, how many tires do you do at a time and how much wood do you think it takes? Is there any rubber smell or smoke at start up or during the process?

jim I can put 4 whole 15in tires in if one wanted im sure with cutting or something you could fit more. as far as smells the fuel stinks and some minor odor during the process I think if I add to the chiminey that would be gone. on the wood question that’s hard I try to keep the temp around 4-5 hundred f for up to 5 hours or when the flow slows down and ive been using pallets scrap that I don’t want to add to the truck . hope this answers some for you.
by the way I see your project is getting closer lts looking good .

1 Like

Thanks for showing the setup,if tires cost that much around here i would be melting them down all so, luckily around here they have been buck each too get rid of, still even that adds up,fast the way tires collect.

1 Like

Thanks Paul, that is really cool. We used to pay $600 for all we could fit in a 48’van. Now they load instead of us , get only about half as many in and last load was nearly $5000 dollars. Looks like time to build a new outdoor boiler. Have you tried burning any of that oil in an old diesel?

1 Like

no I haven’t jim but I did catch a video on youtube of a company trying it on a small tractor it ran but im sure they filtered it more . I only have ran it in my homemade oil burner no pumps to mess up.

Yah, just getting rid of the tires is great . then free heat twice ,why push it ah… Thanks for sharing.

1 Like

I would like help guessing what this is.

1 Like

some kind of a ash crusher ?

1 Like

I really don’t know. I am asking for a friend who picked it up at a garage sale.
I figured there will be someone in this group that will know.

can you tell us what is made from , the piece on top looks like ceramic or even a little like cuttlefish bone that’s been shaped and patterned , cant seem to enlarge the picture without it getting too pixelated also what’s the size of the jug ?
Dave

Looks like a fire starter, broken ceramic but may still work. Soak it in kerosene, burns awhile to help start the stove.

http://www.campfitters.com/kitchen-bath/camp-kitchen/accents/adirondack-fire-starter-kit

6 Likes

Thanks Chris!
I will pass this on.

1 Like

Bill, Looked on ebay saw one just like it , In a little better shape.
Chris is the MAN.
Bob

3 Likes

Does anyone know what this might bee?

I will give you a hint; It takes 2 to operate and it is a heall of a workout for one of them :muscle:

1 Like

It is a chaff-cutter to cut lucern, hay and the likes smaller for animals to eat and digest.
The person turning the crank would always have a problem with the person feeding to much.

2 Likes