Teaching and learning about gasifying

Teaching starts right here…
On the quest for making charcoal and cooking with natural fuels…
Experimenting with different knowledges and thoughts of the younger generation…
Amazing their fascination to perform those experiments and even more amazing the results…

Using the charcoaling process for cooking, use the charcoal for engine fuel…

I am very confused on the conditions where you are working. You do your work on the ground with out the benefit of work benches etc. And yet in the picture where your student is picking up some kind of shredded leaves, there sits a very nice truck with “chrome” side rails and the roads are paved and look very much like suburban areas here.

I think the stove for cooking on and making charcoal at the same time is great. Except, I think you will be doing a lot more “eating” than “driving” on the charcoal made from cooking.TomC

They’re young Tom, squatting and working on the ground is like sitting on a chair at a bench for us old guys. I want a chair with wheels, and a very bright light. Oh to be young again.

My workbench i at the left side next to the house.
But everybody from research also wants to do their projects near my house :wink:
The leaves you see them picking up is outside the campus compound, its sugar cane, pressed.
i let it dry on the pavement, cut it into pieces and we test what it does.
I need charcoal for 6 small projects including the test runs with the “green trike” so a lot of cooking to do …

@Carl, yes hands on , and a lot of make them think by them selves but softly guiding them… they are wunderfull

Here is a photo taken last Winter of charcoal made while cooking. (Dear Wife eventually requested that I remove it from the patio.) While I do make much more in 55 gallon drums (150 runs so far) I find little brands while sorting the output from the barrel charcoal that I can mix with the fuel for the stove to slow down the burn rate. The stove makes my best charcoal. I run it through my charcoal grinder, and save it as premium “stove” charcoal. Most of my fuel for the stove was chopped sawed/split a couple of years ago, so it is very dry. I made a slide show/video for YouTube in June of 2013. (Be sure to read the description.) TLUD Slide Show - YouTube
You will notice quite a difference in the height of the flame if you compare my stove to Koen’s stove. The tips of the flames should just barely touch the bottom of the pan. You want to be able to stand over the stove and flip the chicken, or stir the stew, or stir the Wok, so the stove should burn clean with no smoke. Ray

Thats a great stove you have there, i definitive want to build one

Is flame color determines the momment where coal is ready?

Yes, the moment that volatiles are burnt, the color gets blue = time to quench