The DriZzleR - open top gasifier

hi i have been trying to get a hold of luk or pascol for a couple of years now and cant. did somthing happen to them or did they just give up . the design that they were making or doing is what i want . dont care if it has a little tar or not . just need it to burn nearly any fuel produce gas to be buned in a secondary burner . i like the idea of 5 or 10 minute supply in burner. would like to talk with these two men about there system. and what became of it does any one know… help help help.

2 Likes

oh i would like to keep the unit low or copact that is the reason for their design it will be used for energy production not engine fuel.

2 Likes

Hello!
I can’t find any new info on this design either.
But for heating I guess you would need some kind of ejector fan or if a gasmixer is used before the fan you have to make sure it’s not so hot so you get combustion in the gasmixer.

What kind of fuel would you use?
The open topp design seems easy to automate but auger can be sensitive to fuel size.
Maybe a conveyor could be used with more success?

1 Like

Welcome Larry, I feel the same about this system. It is really KISS and it appears that there are no proven dimensions. You have to try and error… But if you get the hang off it, it seems that it can run for hours and even days without or little service. It would suit me, but I have no experience with gasifying and so I am not sure if this is the best way to start.
On facebook there is a little more action but you are mostly on your own with this design.

2 Likes

i have seen simeler burner systems before in the solar pellet gasifier burners they used pellets and boiled water the pellets were taken and dropped into the chamber by a auger with a rotating gate system seemed to work well but expensive from europe i think sweden or germany . I have been researching combustion for about 3 years now and i have seen a lot of different gasifier systems mostly from europe and the east ( china and india) areas. Very little from the states and canada . We seem to be very primitive in our designs. I have been working on a design that will gasify any kind of bio mass and then using close combustion produce energy . The unit will make the energy which we will be able to extract what ever way we want wether it will be in the form of steam, heat, hot water, gas for fuel, it doesnt matter energy is energy. The only problem with using air as the oxedizer is the 75% nitrogen which is a waste gas. that is the reason we get such small amounts of btu per cubit ft of gas compared to natural gas. but i have also been working on that as well. if i can solve that problem syn gas could be piped not just used in place. There design holds the promise of easy low tar gas producton that is the reason I wanted to get a hold of them. but if I cant i guess I can figure it out… I have been thinking of a down gas unit that will make gas in the reduction unit then feed preheated air to it which will reignite the gas to drop it down onto coils where i could absorb the heat and the heat would go up pass the heat exchanger releasing it energy cooling to close to the dew point or condensing releasing all its energy. as i have said i have been working on this for some time now the design is finished in my head need to build and try it . But i have had heart problems which has effected my mind. I am having a problem holding the information for designing it on paper. The canadian goverment also is not interested they have told me some years ago it will be a cold day in hell before it will . be allowed in canada so i guess there is still no hurry. Sorry for ranting on but i am going to build it for my use then try to find others to build it for public use. This is probly the last project I will build for the betterment of the human race I have designed other things digital cnc . worked on 3 d printing etc.that is how i got my heart valve fixed they used my machine design to build it. the site has asked for a picture maybe but i am not sure how to do it and i dont usally put up picures. long story.

6 Likes

Yup I have spoke about the Nitrogen issue as well. I plan to use an Oxygen concentrator, and dilute the gas with steam, exhaust gas or possibly redirecting back the produce gas. This will change the dynamics in many ways. I suspect the oxidation zone will be more focused resulting in much hotter core temperatures. The elimination of 70% input gas should result in a much smaller gasifier as well. A machine potentially 1/3 the size of a naturally aspirated gasifier could produce the equivalent gas energy density. This makes the system much smaller, less complicated and more versatile.

Time and funding have put the binders on that project along with many other things going into development. Fuel processor trumps this for now. But in the end all will play a big part in systems as a whole. Another point is I think we will see less fuel consumption pr energy produced.

1 Like

My reactors basically work exactly like the Drizzler, except I have a carburetor for wood pellets that feed in the fuel along with air input to keep combustion gases from entering into the hopper. So basically what the Drizzler solves (hopper moisture) This does as well but with an actual gravity feed hopper.

2 Likes

ha matt you use a gravity feeder how does that work. with gasifiers for heating the regs call for a wood back burn proventor. that is the reason for a screw feed or something to provent burn back. like a rotary cell. yes i am looking at a producer not much bigger than a bach ball with the air feed the size of a 5 gallon pail that incudes in feed ash extracter back burn proventor every thing. for the gasifier some of the drawing are 18 inches high 12 inches wide with a screw ash remover. the rotary grate for ash takes up the most space. but most of this is still in the planing stages . if i use water jet plasma for gasifying the reactor could be not much bigger than a beach ball and no nigrogen. i want the close couple because i dont want to lose any heat before the secondary burn so i can get all the heat out of it. dont forget just want the energy as heat not looking for motor fuel. could use it to run a turbine to produce power looking at a telsa turbine hook up. the secondary burner to be the turbine burner my only problem would be tar plugging things up. that is the reason to clean and cool motor gas. the gas will not burn if the hat stays up unless air or oxidizer is intraduced

1 Like

will not burn if the heat stays up not hat

1 Like

Ive done all that with auguring, Look up Thrive Off Grid or Vulcan Gasifier. You can see pretty much my full history here on DOW and see how Ive evolved.

The carburetor on the new reactors prevents any combustion gases getting into the hopper and degrading the fuel. Fuel stays dry as it was when put in and dry fuel of coarse flows so no need for an auger. Thats the beauty of pellets, you can flow them through a reduced hopper neck. This is nearly impossible to do with chip fuels hard enough with a straight hopper.

1 Like

how does your machine work you say you have a carburetor for wood pellets that feeds fuel as well as air how does that work it may be what i am looking for if it keeps gases from going into the hopper .i could use pellets but i was looking at using different types of fuel wood chips, pellets,coal. 3x4 wood blocks peat etc. see i was thinking to use what i can find. also grass manuer etc wether chopped or chipped

1 Like

You would need to sign an NDA

1 Like

what is a nda does that say if i tell you i have to shoot you or something like that ha ha ha honestly i dont know what a nda is i went on your site you use engine exahust in your first stage i have seen that before maybe your site looks like a good idea but could be a bit comlicated.

1 Like

An NDA is a Non Disclosure Agreement, this reactor technology is my leverage for investors, so I have to be careful what I put in public domain. No I dont use the engine exhaust in the gasification process. It is used for heat reclaim on CHP models…

2 Likes

i need simple as all stupid as the old saying goes i want to make it so simple that somone in the jungles of bornio could make it . without going to town for parts if the world came to a end as we know it . people in 100 or even 20 years would be back in the dark ages if it is really simple they may still be able to use it. that is my idea in life… when i helped invent the cnc machine i made it simple but when i started to lose parts of my memory what was simple to me then is just about impossible now. as i said ealier i also helped a young lad in france build the first real 3 d printer that is why the doctors gave my a new design heart valve printed with a 3d printer. But i died before the operation in the prep room now i cant think as good as before. now what was simple is just about over my head.

3 Likes

o sorry i thought it was use to gasify the volituls out of the raw wood sorry. Oh sorry i never thought about a nda i was just wondering how you stopped the gases from going back up into the hopper there is a gasifier that does use the exahust gas to do the first stage gasification dont remember which one ??? thought it might have been your as i looked on you site

2 Likes

Your probably thinking of APL. What ever APL does I do the exact opposite :slight_smile:

My new reactor does not need all that air preheat as Im no longer trying to combat hopper moisture. Just a mild preheat is the machine have now. The machines design is quite simple, this reactor is the simplest design of my development. I can build the reactor cores in less than a hour verses two days building the chip fuel reactor cores. Big difference.

Under all the flash the machines are quite simple; however, while you have the automation, use it. Its the only way to get a gasifier system like run un attended. Im not talking for an hour, they can run all day with out any intervention. As long as they have fuel in them they will run nearly as stable as if running on gasoline.

However, if say an EMP hit and wiped out the electronics, you can easily bypass all of the automation and run just like any primitive gasifier plant. Physics is physics, you not overcome it with design architecture alone. At least not at the small scale

1 Like

For example APL has an auger to remove char ash. My systems gasiffy it and reduce it to ash. This is still in development but I have multiple proof of concepts. I had a machine at last years Agos meet that had this feature.

2 Likes

thanks sorry to bother you i just red a article about 1 nozzle and you were telling the guy about tar that is why i wasnt going to engine gas.but i do want clean gas. I have been a chimney sweep for about as long as i can recall along with other things and i can tell you a lot about tar or ceasote as it is called even oil makes a lot of sutt that is why i liked the drizzler idea. but i want the top covered and have a air ring around the fire box so you only have a few inched about 3 or 4 of wood burning at on time. it should give the same as open top but be safe for co or smoke when not running. have you any ideas about this ides.the air will be pre heated

2 Likes

For heating dont build an engine grade gasifier. Look to the woodgas boiler systems. They take fire wood with a mild gasification process and produce more heat as the energy is not lost in reduction process and burning the tars directly offers higher energy potential. As long as you are fully combusting all the gases there will not be any creosote / tars produced post second stage combustion.

1 Like