The Gasifier That Wanted To Be

Hi Bob i thought maybe you were getting the crazy weather fluxuation, you folks out that way sure been getting ratical weather changes, i think michigan gets less extreem weather, but some times too much cool long winters, less summer time.check you late after remods and weather smooths out normal.

1 Like

Finally have the augur put together for a test run. Here are some pictures of it in the explosion view and assembly.

I use stove rope soaked in oil for the packing on the shaft. Cut out a piece of cutting board for the inside plate.
Here it is all assembled and after the test run.

The charcoal that I’m using has pieces double the size of popcorn which might be a little to big. But after going through the augur it seems to be more the right size.
My thought is 2 of these augurs back to back tied together with a pully and hollow shaft with set screws and the a single drill motor with a belt pully to drive it. All controlled from the driver’s cab.
Videos will follow.

Bob

6 Likes

looking working good Bob, thanks for the vidio auger test.

This may work well without binding too much on the charcoal.

It looked like his plumming needed more all same size, he might have used what had for test, i was thinking. It would be nice too have one on wood truck at times for refueling smoke free, just more weight than posible gain on allready heavy wood gasified truck.

Oh, l like that. I could make a augur like that and it could go into the barrel farther that way the barrel could be almost level. Thanks Garry.
Bob

2 Likes

I would make that kind of auger by winding rod onto a mandrel. A lathe would be handy for winding, but it could be done by hand, you could mark out the mandrel to wind to a certain pitch.

Or weld several of the pet screw anchors together

2 Likes

I have one of those it didn’t work very well for our goats, need to take a look at it on the diameter of the screw, it might work.
Bob

You can also try a bulb auger. Like a big drill but light weight
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Flower-Bulb-HEX-Shaft-Drill-Planter-Non-Slip-1-75-by-9-inch-Bulb-Bedding-Plant-Auger/431069478?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=6780&adid=22222222227073089896&wmlspartner=wmtlabs&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=184850054576&wl4=pla-290220579535&wl5=9006200&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=115786768&wl11=online&wl12=431069478&wl13=&veh=sem

Gary in PA

4 Likes

But I think the open spiral auger will produce less friction and obstruction, so can be used with coarser material.

2 Likes

Thank you Gary and Garry for the information. I really appreciate all the help from you all on this DOW site.
Bob

1 Like

When machine handling char some consideration should be given to unwanted ignition, either from spark or component overheating. Not as likely with wood but still a possibility.

1 Like

Garry, the last video you put up is the kind of auger I am using to clean out ashes on my new build. They call it a ribbon auger and it is used for poultry feeding systems. I got a 6 foot cut off leftover piece for free at a local poultry feeder installer.

This is a picture of the left side angle limit of my ash cleaning sweep before bottom was installed. I plan to power it again with my cordless drill.

4 Likes

Hi don manns i dont mean too cut into your photo of auger for Bob Mac, Though i see your grait , looks like it will work, is that a moveing grate or stationary.? My grate is stationary a and has spaceing around 3/4" too 1" on one place on each side, the rest are smaller. I have no picks of my grate yet, and figured i would try and see if it holds up for awile. Nice looking auger and Grate plenty of reserve. Mine is flat on the end of the char tube and havent felt a sticky pedal yet.400 mile range. You might be able too burn a log down through the center of that 4 cyl tube. And yes i like your auger idea allso. its cleaner looking way too get some breathing room down below the grate.

Perfect source.

Do they sell different diameters?

I know they are commercially available, but they would be pretty easy to wind on a mandrel too for a custom application.

1 Like

Bob, I’m beginning to believe you could fabricate just about anything, great attitude. Nothing better than a positive outlook.
Pepe

4 Likes

Last winter got the gasifier up and running. I was going to use a clycone filter coming out of the gasifier and then into the cooling rails. I decided not to put it on at that time, because I didn’t feel it was need with the low velocity of gas that would be going though it while running the small genset. It looks like it was not need anyways with the sock filtering clycone bucket I built.
So it has been sitting on my bench for months now unfinished. I have looked at it occasionally and would think, “how can you get a big high volume clycone filter to work on a low volume of gas going though it like a small cyclone that it is suited for.” I put a lot of thinking and looking at that clycone.
Finally it came to me, a variable gate opening to keep the velocity up when the flow rate of gas was low.
So I designed a spring loaded gate that would keep the gas moving to the outside wall of the clycone at low volume gas flows and open at high volume flows with the velocity rate about the same.
Here’s the pictures.

I built a spot for my temperature prob.

Getting to hot outside time for lunch. More later.
Bob

5 Likes

Another innovative design, I especially like the low friction spring setup

I been suffering in some 95 degree late afternoons, 106 would put me in front of an air conditioner!

4 Likes

Ha ha, the 106 * f is metal with the sun shining on it. In the shade it was 97 * f , still to hot to work on metals. The sweat was poring off my forehead and getting in my eyes. Later on I did get some grinding done on the edges, when it cooled off a bit.
I tested it out at different flow rates and it works great.
Bob

2 Likes