The Gasifier That Wanted To Be

I find it very interesting to see the tear downs. One never knows what will suddenly inspire one.
I’d say it is 'relatively" clean, very nice job altogether.

3 Likes

Thanks Pepe, I am going to have to make a good hopper shaker like what you have on your unit. I Don’t think the highway driving vehicle motion and bumps will be enough. We will just have to see. More testing. Off road 4X4 ing should do it though.
Looking for you know what kind of truck.
Bob

1 Like

All so bob i dout you would a shaker if put on small trailer, with or without axel springs. Looking good.now you can tell more of what kind of char it will use. I dident see the plate that covers your inlet air nosel, it must be farther down, caint wait too see how much char it uses makeing 500 too 1000 watts.

Good stuff! Not boring. VERY interesting! Thank you for posting.

3 Likes

Glad the filter works good for you! My felt sacks work much better for me. Towel is good for moist gas, but my dry gas system likes the denster felt more.

I forgot to say, thick jeans work well too, althugh is much more restrictive thain a towel. I have a shopvac with a sack like that. Too cheap to buy origonal paper sacks, this one is recyclible too :smile:

2 Likes

What´s the worm hole in the hopper? Is that the angeling problem you were talking about?

1 Like

Hi Kristijan, I’m wearing a pair of felt lined jeans, I can’t wait until they wear out. Going to go and buy some more to work in. Thanks for the information.
Bob

Hi kristijan have you ran a filter like Bob Mac on a regular wood gasifier, like 4 cyclinder motor filter.

Yes JO, I can tilt it back some to help, but not to much or the charcoal will get to close to the nozzles. At a higher velocity the hole is away from the back side toward the center.
Bob

1 Like

Hi Kevin if you look back at post 181 pictures you can see the plate above the nozzles.
Bob

I was going to fill my gasifier up for another run but checking on my supply of charcoal I only have a little over a half barrow left. Unless I have miss placed a couple of barrows which is possible when I put everything under cover for winter. Oh well, this turn of events got me started on my Charcoal fuel tanks. My Father in law works at the car wash and is always being home 55 gal. and 30 gal. plastic heavy duty narrows. That’s my storage for my char charcoal.
You have two threaded bung holes, one course and one fine. I took the course threaded and making a barrow anger. If you tip the barrow it almost comes out on its own. It needs a little at times. Here are some pictures of what be built so far.

I marked with a marker pen where I ground the fitting down and cut a hole for to go through the bung cap.

Not sure of what kind of slow drive I will use, might try a cheap 12 volt drill, then I can just use 12 volt from the vehicle.

The paint stiring rod works great for a anger in the pipe, it will not grind up the pipe when turning.

This will make it easy to refill the hopper, and for going for longer mileage trips. Kinda like the luggage racks on top of the WWII vehicles, is my idea. If it is on top of a truck with a construction rack who would notice. Just hauling suppies. Right.
Bob

4 Likes

That is amazing! I like it! I bet that would work for a larger tank or silo.

1 Like

Hi Bob,
Have you read my one little spark bit I just posted? Please, my friend, store your new stuff in plastic outdoors for a few days just to be sure.
Pepe

2 Likes

Oh yes pepe, it is dead cold, I run it through my Charcoal grinder/trommel classifier and then it’s vaccum up and into my barrows. Thanks safety first.
Bob

3 Likes

Bob I don’t think I have chimed in and told you what a great job you did on your charcoal gasifier. Well thought out, built with a totally new theory of design and now the best part is, you have run it enough to say it is a success. Good job. Plus good job you have and are doing on your periphery projects to supplement it.
I do have some charcoal put aside but truthfully I haven’t thought about going on the dark side and with the time I have, am having trouble keeping my head up working on the lighter side. TomC

4 Likes

Thanks Tom, yes I am really pleased with the filter system, it is quite different, but it seems to be working well. I hope the auger design works, because handling charcoal is a dirty business, wood is so clean in comparison. And I like the idea of just putting a barrow on the rack, hook it up and go down the road. (Charcoal Fuel cell).
Bob

3 Likes

Hi Bob M. Just wondered if you were haveing any more good luck with your charco unit, and if you could explain more the way the charco flows and gas flows from the hearth area if thats a word for charco gasifiers? I want too build a charco tini car allso. Good work. And is your preasent unit a crosflow ? Thanks BOB Mac.

1 Like

Great work Bob.
I still need to get a filter made for my little toy.
Keep on with the pics and great info…Please.

1 Like

Yes, we are all excited about your innovative approach to DOW, especially those of us on the dark side.

1 Like

The Gasifier is on hold because of the weather, freezing rain, snow, then rain, and then hard freezing. It just can’t settle into the dry winter mode that is normal for us. I have been working on a augure for the charcoal barrel to feed the gasifier. Trying to make it a easy quick change for traveling down the road. Or I just might use 2 barrels at the same time and 2 augures. More pictures of that build to come.
Yes it is a cross flow.
If you are planning on build a charcoal gasifier. Make the hopper walls straight up and down into the reactor or burn tube area. I’m having problem getting the all the char to flow into where I want it to go.
The barrel on end or box shape hopper is the way to go. The next build will be this way.
I am going to have to retort some more wood to charcoal, I used up a lot more then I thought just testing the unit out.
Bob

2 Likes